Can Someone Help Me Understand My Health Care Options?

So I have never had health insurance in my adult life, except when I was pregnant and on medicaid. So I really don't know a good price for it. My husband's former employer offered it for $240 a week with and the deductible was monthly not annual. He has recenlty switched jobs and they gave him some information on the health care plans. He will be eligiable in about two more months but has to sign up for a plan (if he chooses to) in one more month.

My first question is, since he has to sign up for one of the plans 60 days from his hire date would we start being charged the premiums then, even though we would not be covered intill he has been there 90 days?

My second question is, the plan costs about $63 a month for the entire family with a $500 indivual deductible (annual) and $1,500 family deductible, is this a good price for this deductible? Of course this is assuming that our doctors are in the network. We have to drive 30 minutes to get to any hospital of doctor's office so I really don't want to drive farther to find an in the network doctor is ours aren't.

We really need health insurance because I have been getting alot of medical bills lately, and they aren't going to stop coming for a while. However most of the more expensive procedurs are done, and my husband will have to take on a second job to make up for the money that will come out of his check for the premiums. Luckily his old employer agreed to let him come back to work weekends.

Most of things that we know we would be using are covered without meeting the deductible. For example well child checkups for my kids (the kids are currently covered with medicaid, so they are covered now, but we would obviouly switch the coverage). They cover annual pap smears, but I need them every three months for the next two years, so I am not sure how that would work. Does anyone know? Would the doctors fee be counted under specialst and office visits?

Any insight on this would be helpful. Like I said I have never had coverage so this is all new to me.

Im sorry I mistyped! I ment to say $63 a week not a month lol

My family plan has no deductible, but I pay $425 a month (my employer pays the other 75% - the actual policy is $1700 a month). Sounds like a steal - definitely enroll.

Thats sounds really good. Mine is $144 per pay period and $4000 deductible and that just covers me and my son. We had another option that was $178 per pay period and a $3000 deductible.
You would pay a co-pay each time you'd go for a PAPsmear since only 1 is covered per year. I don't think that they are a specialist.

$63 is a steal.

Don't worry about fighting the system yet - they all have their pitfalls. As a consumer, you can't shop by "what ifs". They ain't gonna tell you upfront, and you can't predict the future.

Cross those bridges when you get there. Right now, make sure all the forms are filled out correctly and get going on that $63! :)

$63 /mo is pretty cheap. Makes me wonder what it covers. Regardless it should be a better deal than not getting one.

It seems to pay for preventative care, all well visits for the kids, annual paps (annual indicates once a year so it would not cover your 3 other pap smears).

Find out too if it will cover anything related to pre-existing conditions. Most insurance will not pay for them.

Do you have to pay copays over the deductible? Sometimes this can be a percentage and sometimes a $ amount that unfortunately does not apply to your deductible.

You said you have plan choices. Are they all the same price? I wonder if this cheap price also with a Health Savings Account.

PM me if you want. I used to work for a major insurance co in my life before children. I won't be able to help you with what to choose but can maybe help you understand your choices better.

Your insurance won't cover the bills you already have. Your cost and deductibles are a dream. (Are you sure it's $63 for your family, and not per person?) My husband's costs several hundred a month just for him, with a $10,000 a year deductible...and that's not uncommon.

All the other questions you have, need to be directed at HR. You should have a benefits coordinator or HR representative, that knows the ins and outs of these plans.

My husband and I are insurance agents. We pay $480 per month for a TEN THOUSAND DOLLAR deductible. So ya, $63 is something to be happy about. Make sure you get a "summary" of coverages so you understand exactly what you are getting. If you don't understand, ask your HR benefit rep OR call the insurance company offering the plan and ask them. Good luck.

These are questions your DH needs to ask his benefits coordinator where he works.

I can answer one of them, though - yes, that is a HECK of a deal. I haven't seen an employee sponsored health plan for that cheap... well, ever!

that deductible is average, but if the monthly fee is really only $63, then that's a steal. You didn't say how many are in your family..? At my last job, I had a full comprehensive plan (medical, dental, vision etc..) for my daughter and I, at $96 per month, with a zero deductible, co-pays were $20, scripts were $10. That was the best price I ever paid for full insurance, I wish I still had it!!! One thing you'll want to do, is look at the pre-existing clause, if there is one. I had an employer based insurance several years back, that wouldn't cover anything to do with my thyroid disease (which I was diagnosed with 15 years go and take daily medicine) for one year, because they considered it pre-existing. That was such BS, and the WORST insurance I had...

I'd jump on that all day long...twice on Sundays. :)

That sounds like a reasonable plan. Driving 30 minutes to the network doc beats the alternative. Most prompt care places take all insurance, but docs not in your network will be very pricey.
ETA
63 a week is a lot less that what we pay for our HMO, we pay a little over 100 a week for two of us

1 / 3