Can Pregnant Moms Juice??

I have a Jack LaLane juicer and have been absolutely hooked on making a fresh "juicie" for myself in the afternoon before lunch. My juice consists of: tomatoes, carrots, apple, lemon, kale, spinach, parsley, and red, yellow, and green bell peppers. (Sometimes I juice with ginger and cabbage, and beets, too). Also, I have a fresh orange and grapefruit juicie first thing in the morning. I always wash them first.
Well, I just found out that i'm about 4 weeks pregnant, and my husband said he thought he read that pregnant women shouldn't juice.
I put a note into my doc....but does anyone know anything about this?
It's my everyday routine! That would suck if I have to quit it! I figured it would be the best thing I would be doing for my baby with all of the vitamins and nutrients that goes straight into your body from juicing fresh veggies.
I'm totally bummed....
Is there any hope for my juicing days for the next year or so?
Sincerely, S. :)

Thank you everyone for all of your encouragement and well-rounded advice. First of all, the doc says it's ok! yippee! She says I need to stay away from my herbal tea, however; because she doesn't know what they are exactly, that i'm totally bummed about; I drink organic Mate, Green and Rooibos teas from Teavana, they're wonderful!
Anyhow, from everyone's advice i've taken this away with me: ORGANIC ORGANIC, LOCAL ORGANIC, definately, wash everything first, and to eat protein with my juices to make sure i'm gettin protein also. Which I do very regularly; i'm an avid exerciser, so protein is essential. I am going to look at a few websites that were suggested too. I got many other tidbits that i'm going to use/keep in mind; i'm just trying to keep this brief. ;)
Again, thank you so much and I do have many more questions that i'll be posting; seeing I am bringing another little one into our family and it changes the whole ballgame. I am SO thankful for this website! It beats any old googling by FAR!
ps...after my husband had told me that I googled it and a website that came up DID say that prego's should consult a doc first before juicing because certain veggies in large amounts can be toxic. ....That's when I got onto Mamasource! ;)

Never heard of it! There might a concern of gestational diabetes with other juices because of the sugar content.

YES!!! You can juice - especially vegetable juice - that is really great for you!

The only thing that anyone should be careful of is drinking too much FRUIT juice - that can be too many concentrated sugars without fiber -

I do the same thing you do - mostly vegetable juice with a little apple and lemon or lime for flavor - you describe a great blend of juices - keep doing it-!

Good luck -

I don't see how juicing could be harmful at all. You are getting the nutrients in a highly absorbable fashion, so I would go fot it.

never heard of such a thing! It would we great to juice when pregnant. You still need fiber so you don't get constipated though - so still eat some veggies and fruits. :-)

HI!! I juiced through both of my pregnancies and it was the only way I got the nutrients I needed with my second because i was so nauseous!! Just peel that which can be peeled and wash what can be washed.

I've heard a number of questionable things that pregnant mamas should avoid, but never fresh fruits and vegies! For sake of pesticides, try to stick with organics (as another respondent suggested); for the sake of your children's planet, try to stick with local produce. Enjoy!

as long as you're not juicing onions or something that could upset your baby-i can't think of anything healthier!don't listen to your husband.i doubt your doctor would object.

Be sure to get the seeds out of the apples ahead of time, before juicing them.

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to juice. as long as you are not putting herbs that are energy booster type things like ginseng, it should be fine. You can eat as much veggies as you'd like and fruits, I have not been given any restrictions for veggies, or fruits. My dr. says no lunch meats unless they are thoroughly heated, and no blue cheese or soft cheeses that are not pasteurized....have to be careful with fish and shellfish, your dr. will probably give you a list of what you can and can't eat at your first appt. - mine did...Good Luck - and if I were you, I would keep juicing....

Fresh fruit and veggies are the best foods for a pregnant mom, and juicing them is great too (just don't forget to eat some whole so you get the fiber, too)!

Just a note, I noticed someone mentioned "no E. Coli or Salmonella outbreaks have occured from organic farms," which is not true. The big E. Coli outbreak in lettuce/spinach leaves last year came from an organic producer in the Salinas Valley. Organic produce actually has a slightly higher risk of pathogens such as E. Coli and salmonella because of the types of fertilizers and pest control used, so be sure to wash ALL produce before eating. Also, organic produce is not nutritionally different than conventional produce.

That said, it is great to eat fresh produce, conventional or organic, and our food system is the safest in the world! Just practice common sense and wash all fresh fruit and veggies, organic or not. Good luck with the new baby!

I am sure your MD will say it is fine. The only concern might be the natural sugar in the fruit that might spike your blood sugar. I have a juicer as well, but I also have been taking an awesome whole food product for almost 6 years now called Juice Plus+ It is 17 different fruits and veggies in a capsule for adults and a gummie or chewable for children minus the water, salt and sugar. Check it out at www.StudiesOnJuicePlus.com . I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

###-###-####

1 / 3