Can Periods Become Late Due to Being Sick?

I was sick with the stomach flu about two weeks ago and am now due for my period. Has anyone out there ever had their period be late from being sick? Even if it was two weeks prior to your period? Thanks, in advance, for your responses.

Yes! My period is 28-29 days like clockwork, but in December I was sick. My period was a over a week late. Also, I was sick like early-mid December and didn't expect my period til towards the end.) Hope this info helped you!

Oh yes being sick or not eating because you're too sick or even just stress can cancel your period. I've never had a "regular" period (except when I was on birth control). Even now January I had two and February I had two - just the roll of the dice with me. When I was younger it became a concern and we went to the doctor and he said anything can affect your period - from being sick to having a test that week in school.

Of course the flip side to this is watch out for signs of being pregnant and if you don't start again somewhat regular the next time you might want to see a doctor. I was on the pill and missed one period and the doctor said "that's normal! Keep taking the pill" and when I missed it the next month, too ... found out I was pregnant.

Don't stress!

Yes, I was a full week late, had a kidney infection with antibiotics...I took three tests just to ease my mind! Any stress to the body can delay the period from what I read online, especially being sick.

I am not sure about it coming late because of being sick. I do know that our periods have a 27 or 35 day cycle. I notice that we are about a year apart, I had asked my OB/GYN about this (coming later than usual sometimes). He said that the older we get (along with other factors in our lives) that it can go 27 or 35 days because it is adjusting with our age. I kept track after he told me this and sure enough that was the case.

That has happened to me before too. Sometimes my period would be late, or just really light. My doctor said it is normal.

Yes anything can cause it to be late illness, stress,etc...

Yes, I actually had my period start while I was sick, stop while I was sick, and then start again after I got better. It threw off my cycle a bit for the next month or so, but then it went back to normal. Your body's probably just focusing its resources on getting better still!

Our whole family just had the stomach flu (there is such a thing, it may be technically norovirus or rotavirus but still stomach flu to me and you, not all barfing is from food poisoning. My family had it over the course of a week so that is most definately NOT food poisoning.)

I did miss my period after. My tubes are tied, burned, cut, etc and have been solidly holding for over 6 years. But I did still take a pregnancy test after being a week late, and it was negative. Rapid weight loss can cause you to miss periods, so having the stomach flu can do that if you had a bad case.

1 / 3