Can Newborn Sleep with TV On?

Now, I need TV to sleep at night. (always have) Once I give birth, and have the bassinet in the room with me, do I have to shut the TV off????

Thanks everyone so much! Fantastic tips!

Most newborns sleep through pretty much anything! I don't think you'll have anything to worry about.

Here is some news for you, the baby can hear the TV already and will probably get used to it like you are. So, it could be a good thing that the baby will be able to sleep with noise around so you never have to tip toe around, on the other hand the baby may rely on noise to get to sleep so you may end up with a baby that will have trouble sleeping in a quiet room. Think about it.

I say no tv for babies. Not only are the energy rays unhealthy if directly facing the child...tv either on or off...but loud noises (the louder commercials) can cause the baby anxiety. (Baby's are born with 2 fears: fear of falling and fear of loud noises; our other fears are acquired as we grow!)

Also, there is too much negative energy in tv content and believe it or not, those subtle negative energies influence the brain development of a baby.

Better soothing peaceful nature sounds or stillness.
Best wishes with your new baby. :-)

R. Conte

Just be careful watch you are watching. The baby can still hear everything going on while it's sleping.

I used to watch the Weather Channel when I was still pregnant to fall asleep. It also calmed my daughter down and got her to stop kicking my ribcage. Now she can't fall asleep without the Weather Channel on at night. She's almost 3 years old now...LOL.

Absolutely, fear not!! They will adjust to what you are used to --esp in the beginning. My mom always told me to run the vacuum while my newborn daughter slept to get her used to sleeping with noise. Now, she can sleep through anything! Good luck & Congrats!!!

The responses are pretty much split I see. I agree with all the moms that say that a newborn will pretty much sleep through anything. But I challenge you, you have 18 weeks to break this habit. If you plan on having the baby in your room for longer than 6 weeks or so, you will likely make this a habit for her too. Think of having to buy a TV set just to get her out ofyour bedroom? also--How much electricity are you paying for and wasting continuing this habit? I am convinved that it is not just the "content" but the light and flash of a TV that can stress out a baby. You will probably sleep better once you break the habit too.
I bet you have one bad week of sleep and as you adjust you will sleep better and deeper and save money.

I fall asleep to the TV too but I have to tell you that in the first few weeks after giving birth you will sleep under any circumstances!

Hi C.. Rule of thumb do not make your home into a glass house, meaning go about your daily life as usual. The baby will adapt to the new noisies and will then learn to sleep thru anything. My daughter now 3 can sleep any where with or without noise. I can vacumm, watch tv, talk on the phone etc. When she was 6 months old we took her to a fireworks display and she slept thru the whole thing. Do what works for u and the new baby. Goodluck!

C.,

I would check with your pediatrician. I have always heard that it was not good to expose newborns to TV. Babies should not be tip toed around, they need to experience what normal household noise is, but I don't think having the TV on in the same room as the baby is sleeping is a good idea.

Don't worry about being able to fall asleep, having a newborn is the best cure for insomnia.

Congratulations and good luck,
R.

I lived in a studio in NYC when my now 11 year old was born. I made a very specific effort NOT to keep the apartment completely quiet when he was brand new because I wanted him to adapt and I never wanted to have the fussy baby who couldn't sleep if it wasn't perfectly quiet. You know what? It worked! He is an amazing sleeper, always has been. I was super lucky, even as a tiny newborn, I had to wake him the first few nights to feed him, he slept through the night and my visiting nurse said I couldn't let him. Obviously you will have to figure out what your child responds and doesn't respond to. A blaringly loud tv isn't good for anyone but normal noise in a home is totally natural and probably helpful for the child. May even be comforting, who knows what's going on in their lovely new brains! Just remember, take the lead of your child above the advice of rigid folks. You will hear a lot of "rules" about what's right and what's wrong. You and your child will decide for you both what that is, no experts or well-meaning friend of family member will know better than you.

Good luck! Welcome... its the greatest thing, ever!!!!

1 / 3