Can My 10 Month Old Have Eggs?

My son has been refusing his bottle, so two days ago, his pediatrician started him on whole milk in a sippy cup. Can I try him on eggs now, or do I need to wait until he's atleast a year old? Also, can he have the entire egg, or is he supposed to have the white part or the yellow part only?

Thank all of you for you wonderful responses. I actually tried him on an egg this morning, the whole egg, and he didn't even like it. Go figure!!! He took a few bites, and then he wasn't interested anymore.

I don't know what a doctor would say but I gave my daughter eggs at 9 months. She refused to let me feed her so she started eating table food. She had 10 teeth by then so she could chew pretty well. I would make her scrammbled eggs and she loved them.

Everything I've read says to wait until 12 months for eggs, nuts and other allergen-producing foods.

Dr's say because of food allergies they can have egg whites but no egg yolks till one year old.

Every child is different so you must use your own discretion but I gave all of my children scrambled eggs (white and yolk) when they were about 8 months old. They never had a reaction to them. Personally, I would ditch the bottle. Give him his drinks in a sippy cup and don't use the bottle anymore. Like all foods, if you find a reaction, don't try it again for a few months.

Stef,

What I understand to be true is that they should wait til they are at least a year old AND they have enough teeth to chew it up good. Eggs, especially the yolk are the number one cause of choking in adults and children alike. Be careful and make sure that when you do give them to him, you keep him under close supervision.

Take Care,

Hi
no egg whites before 1 year-old because of allergies. After that, entire egg. =)

Hi Stef,

I am sure you will get a ton of responses to this one, so I will throw my hat in the ring too. Until ten years or so ago parents started feeding their children eggs as early as four months old. Babies all over the world ate the whole egg and lived without any detrimental side effects. While there are some foods you do need to be wary of (honey, shellfish) at this young age, eggs are innocent.

He can have egg YOLKS at any age, but should wait until 12 months for egg WHITES because the whites contain a protein called albumin, which some people are allergic to. If, by chance, your son happens to be one of those people, the younger he is, the more severe the reaction can be. Likely, he would be fine if he ate egg whites now, but it is better to wait to be on the safe side.

1 / 3