Can Morning Sickness Start at 8 Weeks Pregnant?

I am pregnant with my second and I am just a few days past 8 weeks. I've been feeling tired, and slightly nautious, but have not thrown up at all. Last night I was very sick, mostly dry heaving with a little more than that. Is it possible for this to start at 8 weeks, or do I maybe have something else, like a stomache bug?

It is probably a stomach bug. I have 2 kids and with both pregnancies I ended up with 24 hr vomiting. With the first one I thought it was morning sickness at first and thought "Oh no! This is horrible!" Then when it went on all day long I called the doctor. They gave me a shot for nausea and that helped. The 2nd pregnancy I knew better and called the doctor right away and got the shot!
Hope you feel better soon!

congratulations - and - yes!! Welcome to the world of pregnancy induced "morning" sickness! I am 22 weeks pregnant with my second, and every night from week 7 through week 12 I threw up (and felt extremely naseous when not actually vomiting) - lots of dry heaves,too. No fun!
Luckily for me, at exactly 12 weeks I stopped throwing up, and am now feeling much better (except for the anemia, but that's another story! lol!).

You will have to find what works for you - I asked this very forum, and the things that came back were so individual - many of the things people reported as helpful made me green just reading about them! Most people did report that dry and salty worked for them - just eat what you can get down and don't worry about it - when you feel better you will eat better.

Congratulations!
Warmly,
E.

Sure it's possible - every pregnancy is different, and remember that with a second pregnancy, you already have a kid who's tiring you out. If you aren't keeping much down, you can also have your blood sure level drop to the point that you are nauseated because of that too - it's called "hyperemesis gravidum" which is fancy medical Latin for "constantly barfing during pregnancy." Did you have this at all during your first pregnancy? If not, do you know the common OTC cures? Ginger ale, stirred flat - use regular, not diet because you need the sugar in it, but ginger is very soothing to the stomach. Eat a lot of small meals and always try to keep something in your stomach. You could try a great liquid nutritional supplement too, to be sure that whatever nutrients you DO take in and keep down are getting into your cells and being fully absorbed - I can suggest an excellent one if you want to go that route. There are also meds to control nausea that are often prescribed during pregnancy - some women are thrilled with this, others don't want to use meds at all.

I think, if you can keep your blood sugar level as stable as possible, it might help. When I worked in a women's clinic, we saw this in women all the time - often we just ran an IV of water, salt & sugar - it bypassed the stomach and got the sugar level up, and stopped the nausea. Once you get sick and can't eat, the problem can perpetuate itself. If this continues, don't hesitate to ask your OB about this option!

Hope you feel better soon!

Unfortunately it can! I started actually throwing up at week 7 after finding out I was pregnant at week 6. I also thought I had the stomach bug...however after three days of calling out sick I realized it was definitely from being prgenant. And for me, that lasted through week 18. Good luck!!

It could be a bug, but my morning sickness started at 7-8 weeks with my first. I would just keep pushing fluids and try to get something in your stomach. Crackers and toast were my key to keeping the morning sickness at bay!

Congrats J.! Yes, I felt morning sickness quickly after getting pregnant, but if the dry heaving continues, call your OB. And yes, there is a stomach bug going around right now. Good luck!

hi
It is definately morning sickness. I am 9 weeks pregnant and I have been sick for 2 weeks already. Keep saltines and ginger ale with you at all times.

With my first child I started feeling nauseous right at 8 weeks. Then it lasted all day and night through the 2nd and into the 3rd trimester. In a book I have called Great Expectations it says that your hormone is highest around this week. I'm 7 weeks pregnant now and I'm anticipating it happening any day now. I know that there has been a stomach bug going around, at least in this area. I hear it all the time and I had it 2 times, my husband once within about 2 months. It has vomiting and/or diarrhea and very nauseous. I even had it when I was about 4 weeks along, but didn't know it at the time. My sympathies are with you, ahhh...pregnancy is wonderful isn't it?!

Congrats! You could have morning sickness. I was sick at 8 weeks with my first and 6 weeks with my second. Hopefully it will not last long for you. I was done around 16 weeks. Good luck and keep hydrated!

1 / 3