Can Infants Eat Strawberries or Strawberry Flavored Food?

I have a 9 1/2 month old boy and he loves yogurt and he's been eating banana and vanilla flavor. I am thinking of letting him try strawberry flavor but not sure if infants can eat strawberries or strawberry flavored food. I thought someone once told me strawberry is an allergenic food?

Strawberries can be an allergenic food but since my daughter didn't show any other signs of allergies to foods I fed her, I started giving her strawberry flavored items around 8 months.

I would suggest trying to steer clear of it until he is at least a year old. My grandmother is deathly allergic to strawberries, so we stayed away from them until my son was 2 (per drs. recommendation). I would call your peds office though and check with them...I think most recommend waiting until at least 1, but I have friends whose peds have also said 2.

Absolutely NOT! Strawberries are a high allergy food and giving these to children under 2 can greatly increase their risk of developing an allergy to it. Strawberries are difficult to digest and can cause diarrhea and diaper rash in infants. I learned this the hard way with my daughter... trust me, better not to risk it. Your son's health comes first!

Mine did. with no problems. J.

If you have no history of food allergies on either side of his family, go for it. Make sure you don't introduce any other new foods for four days so that if he does have a reaction, you will know what caused it. My son has been eating strawberry yogurt since he was about 9 months with no problems. We get him the cheap dannon yogurt that doesn't have pieces of fruit in it because he like his yogurt creamy without chunks in it!! He also loves the key lime and orange flavors!

The AAP recently put out a report that babies do not need to worry about any foods/allergies except for honey until the age of 1. If you or your partner has any food allergies, I suggest waiting until age 1, but if not, you should be fine. -www.weelicious.com

Children shouldn't eat strawberries, egg whites, citrus or cows milk until after they turn one year.

I agree with the other mamas that said if you or your husband has food allergies...wait. Otherwise I think you're okay to give them to him. I started cutting up tiny pieces of strawberries for my son at 10 months & he LOVED them! Blueberries and raspberries came soon after. Berries are his favorite fruits now.

Happy Eating!

I somehow missed out on the "don't feed infants strawberry stuff" memo -and my kids are young -20m and 4. The first I heard of it was about 6 months ago, long after I had been feeding the youngest strawberry stuff! We've never had a problem, and I've fed both of mine strawberry yogurt, real strawberries, strawberry applesauce and strawberry smoothies since way before they were 1.

1 / 3