Can I Use a Cousins Name?

Some of you may have saw my request for baby names, and if so, thank you!! Today my daughter told us that if it is a girl she would like to name it Regan Rae. I have ALWAYS loved this name ( had a good friend in high school name Reagan). BUT my second counsin whom I see once a year, if that, just named her little girl Regan Elizabeth. Can I still use the name?
My daughter by the way, did not know my cousin named her little girl so she truly did not get it from there.
I would love to add it to the list of possibilties.

Thanks everyone!! I AM putting it on our list. I won't know the name we pick until we see the baby. I like the idea that my daughter has possibly picked the name for her little sister (if its a girl). It goes with the trend of the initals and has a special appeal because Cara named her. Thanks again!! :)

I have a friend Sara, who has a sister Kate, who have first cousins named Sarah & Katie. Same friend Sara has a first cousin Rachel and she named her daughter Rachel.
Use what ever name you like!

My cousin and I both have the same name and we see each other fairly often. It has never been a big deal at all. When I was younger people used to refer to her as "big A." and me as "little A.". Not because she was "bigger" than me, but because she was older and I was younger. Anyway, it's just not a big deal when it comes to cousins.

I think, if you don't see them very often it's Ok to name your baby Regan. I think Regan Ray has a pretty sound to it. And it's not like your taking the whole name (first and middle).

Use what ever name you like!

I have a cousin who is about twice my age and lives far away. I almost never see her. She has a son who is just 7 years younger then I am. His name is Brian. I have always loved the name and thought maybe since we didn't see each other often it would be ok. So I named my son Bryan. My cousin was so excited and happy and actually very touched that I liked the name that she had chosen SO much that I would use it for my child too. I say go for it!

Absolutely. If you really love a name, use it. It's your baby. I think it would be an honor if one of my cousins liked my name and chose it for their child.

Hi R.,
We named our son and found out that one of his cousin's named there son the same. We see these people once a year, so no biggy. I say if you like it and your not really close go for it.

I would say no even though you should name your baby whatever you want to. I would say yes as long as it wouldn't bother you or offend the family.

I considered using the name of my second cousin who I see once a year. I even e-mailed them asking them if that would bother them even if I spelled it differently and I didn't get a response back. I didn't take the no response as a no answer but after thinking about it I thought it would be too weird and worried that the family would talk about it behind my back. It's like you would be a copy cat and with so many other names out there I would consider searching for something else unless, like I said, you are okay with it and any reactions to using Regan. Can you do Rae Regan? I'd use it as a middle name just not a first name.

Go for it! We named our son the same as a friend's son, and we see them several times a year. Big Ethan loves the bond he has with Little Ethan since they share a name. You've found a great name that you like, why not use it?

1 / 3