Can I Just Wear Regular Pants Instead of Maternity?

So I have had two kids already and now I'm pregnant with my third. I am a very small framed person and with each baby I have gotten thinner. With my first two pregnancies I had the hardest time ever finding maternity jeans that would fit. They were always too big. I did get lucky once and find one pair at a boutique that is now gone out of business so I can't go back and get more. I do have some leggings that fit but other than that my jeans are just too big and now that I am even smaller this time I really don't think they are going to fit. I would really like to have just a few jeans to wear so I'm wondering if I just buy some skinny jeans in a larger size that that could work? Or do you think they would just be too big everywhere? I am not showing yet so I can't start buying right now and I've looked on line and the only places that sell xs small jeans are still too big or they are just way to expensive. So has anyone just bought bigger size regular jeans? Do they work? My hip size is 34 and most pregnancy pants size xs say your pre-pregnancy hip size should be like a 36 or 37.

Well thanks for all of your input. I do have a bella band but for me it never fit it either scooted up or down on the hips I don't have LOL. But I never have tired the rubber band thing. And it sounds like there are lots of you out there that got by just fine with regular pants so thanks again :)
Well I will add that I am very small and actually unike most women my hips do not spread at all.....that is why I have c-sections my pelvic bone isn't large enough for my babies to fit through and I don't have big babies. So my hips stay the same through my pregnancy and along with that my tummy stays very small. With both pregnancies even when I'm 9 months people think I'm like only 5 or 6 months. I'm not saying I'm the smallest girl ever.....but with a weight of 107 and with my hips not spreading it does make finding pants really hard. And I did state in my post that there are SOME stores that carry pants that might fit me but they are way to pricey. I'm not going to spend close to $200 on a pair of pants. Again thanks to you how are like me and say you just wore regular pants. Now I don't have to start hunting for pants again. :)

You totally can! I only had one pair of maternity pants while I was pregnant because I had the same problem. None of them fit me right. I just bought regular clothes but a size or more larger. And it all depends on the clothes, some might fit you differently than others, just try them on. I thought it was a waste of money to buy clothes I couldn't wear all the time, so I did not invest heavily on maternity clothes. It saved me a lot of money. And I also wore a lot fo casual dresses. It kept me cooler anyways.

Good Luck and congratulations!

You sound a lot like me. I am 5'4 and wear a size 1 at stores that run small (in junior's, not women's) and they do not make maternity clothes of any type in my size. I have had 2 children and have worn regular jeans the entire time with each of them. The key is to find the jeans that are both very low rise and made from fabric that has a little stretch to it. Then if you need to towards the end of pregnancy you can use a rubber band to expand the waist a bit (stick the rubber band through the buttonhole of the jeans and then hook both ends around the snap of the jeans on the other side. The other thing I wore occasionally was exercise pants (cute ones) when I was tired of low rise jeans.

I really don't recommend bigger size jeans. I had some left over from when I was a few pounds heavier and they are not all that much bigger in the waist (not enough to make a difference in the third trimester) but are big enough everywhere else to look weird. Good luck, I know it's a pain.

Low rise jeans are fashion's gift to pregnant women who hate maternity jeans! :) I am 35wks right now and wear almost all just regular pants. I did end up with two pair of the secret fit jeans, but since my belly doesn't get very big I get a little puckering of the stretchy fabric up top so I end up rolling that part down and having it sit under my belly.
A lot of the times the higher end jeans (like True Religion) have more give and thus more wiggle room-this time around I was able to wear my Trues until about a month ago. Last pregnancy I ended up getting a couple of pair of my regular jeans in a bigger size and it worked until I delivered at 39wks.

For me the belly bands tend to creep down on the top, or creep up on the bottom, so they don't do a ton of good for me, I have more luck just wearing a long fitted tee. A lot of people do love those though.

I am petite and I never bought any maternity clothes. I bought a larger size.

Good Luck and congratulations!

You can also take ANY pair of pants into a seamstress/tailor and get them fitted.

i did that and i also bought one of those belly band things that you wear over your own pants to cover up the fact that you are leaving them unzipped and un buttoned..didnt buy hardly any mat pants

Check out Forever21.com they are supposed to be coming out with a maternity line. I bet you could find something there that would work for you! Good luck!

I was pregnant during the summer and couldnt afford to buy a bunch of new pants so i just wore empire waist dresses from the juniors department

1 / 3