Can I Help My 10 Month Old Baby Walk or Crawl?

OK well i have a beautiful 10 month old baby girl who hasn't crawled or walked yet i thought nothing about it because some baby's don't crawl right? she can stand all by her self but wont take a step yet and then when shes sitting she will go to a crawling position and rock back and forth on her hands and knees but wont go further. and when i put a toy out of her reach she will try to get it but eventually will give up and start crying, and just looks miserable. her doctor is not happy and says that if she doesn't start crawling by the end of this month he is sending out someone to the house to evaluate her! so please does anyone have any ideas on how i can help her to crawl or walk?

If I were you, I would have someone come and evaluate her anyway. It's free and if she qualifies as having a delay she will get services for free. You can call 1-800-877-1152 and set up an evaluation.
If she is delayed, the earlier she starts getting services, the better off she will be. I have had 2 children get services because of a delay ... and they are doing great now!

she will walk when she is ready. you cannot force a baby to walk. some do not crawl at all is right. if you hold her 2 hands does she walk with you. i would say that can help but babies walk or crawl when they are good and ready. i wouldn't rush it becuase once she is off and running there is no stopping her. then you will wish she was still a siiter. lol. good luck and she will be walking before you realize it.

I posted a similar question about my 9 month old son who wasn't crawling yet. He is now 10 months and still not crawling. At his check-up the doctor said it was not a big deal at all that he wasn't crawling yet and that he might never do it. He asked if our son was pulling himself up or showing interest in walking, and since he is then there is nothing to worry about. I've tried lots of tricks to get him to crawl, but he's just not interested at all! Since talking to his doctor about it, I'm no longer concerned and I figure he'll just start walking when he's ready. I don't think you should be too worried.

Some doctors are more aggressive on monitoring a child's development than others. She's probably wanting to do more with your child because crawling is an important developmental phase. Studies show it plays a role in sensory development.

With that said, I have been reassured by my pediatrician, while it isn't the ideal if a baby goes right to walking, it doesn't necessarily mean there is something wrong. Some kids skip stages for various reasons, and there's nothing wrong with them. Often if there's an older sibling who is mobile, the younger child will skip stages purposely to keep up with their big sister/brother. My second child maybe "crawled" for about a few weeks and suddenly started pulling himself, only to walk within a week after that. He was also a very young walker.

Things that help a baby with crawling is tummy-time. Get a playmat with a roll built into it, and put baby on her tummy and use toys to encourage her to want to crawl toward you.

A doorway bouncer is a great way to strengthen baby's legs for walking. Both of my boys went crazy for our Graco doorway bouncer and I'm certain built up their leg muscles using it. They'd spend a half and hour or more going to town on the thing. It was their favorite physical activity toy hands down...even more than their exersaucer, push car/toys, etc. I highly recommend the doorway bouncers with a built in table as the child has more freedom to actually walk as well as bounce fairly high, unlike the more stationary portable versions. It seems they get more physical exercise with the doorway bouncer.

Lastly, if your daughter doesn't start to walk or crawl soon, don't fret. I have heard that late bloomers can turn out just fine also.

http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Bumper-Jumper-Little-Jungle/d...

Ok....I am a pediatric physical therapist. First of all, despite what some of the pp said, your doctor is not "crazy",or a "jerk" You go to your pediatrician to make sure your child is healthy and developing on target. The typical range for crawling is 9-11 months. Your doctor is recommending that if by the 11 month mark your daughter isn't showing signs of being interested in being mobile he would like to have her evaluated. He isn't going to "send" someone out to your house. He is going to make a referral, or have you make a referral to Early Intervention. A physical therapist will come out and make sure that there isn't anything developmentally going on that is impacting your child's ability to crawl/walk. It is a state funded program and the evaluation is of no cost to you or your insurance. In all honesty you should be glad that your doctor is proactive. We get alot of referrals at 18-24 months where the doctor has blown off a delay in a child's motor skills and then they are really behind. If your child isn't eligible for EI(they need to show a 30% delay in their development or something atypical that is a cause for concern) the therapist will be able to show you some activities to help her along. Kids do develop at different rates but sometimes there is something holding them back that can be helped with intervention. And DO NOT PUT HER IN A JOHNNY JUMPER. They do not strengten the leg muscle that are used for walking and will NOT help her crawl or walk but in fact the opposite. The best place for her is the floor where she can attempt to move and explore.

Thats crazy with the doc--unless there are other things going on here many children never crawl and don't walk by their first bday. Its fun sometimes to coax them into taking their first steps with a toy, but when they are ready and having fun with it. She won't be a baby forever, so sit back and relax and enjoy this time--you'll be chasing her around soon enough! I have NEVER heard of a doctor sending someone to a home to examine a 10 month old that is not walking! Is there any other concerns developmentally? If not, get a new doc as fast as your feet can carry you and your daughter. She'll walk when she's ready--no need to push her yet.

I cannot believe your doctor is threatening an evaluation this early! My son did not even pull up until he was 11 months old, and did not walk until 17 months. Some babies just take a little longer because they all develop at different paces. Since she can get in to a crawling position, it sounds like she has the physical ability, she may just be a little timid or afraid. I would be shopping for a new doctor.

If your baby is standing by herslef she's FINE. Many babies don't crawl at all, and the average age for walking is 13 months. Stop worrying about it. FWIW, my two kids were very different: baby #1 did not ever crawl until he was 11 months old. He crawled for approximately 1 week and then started walking, never to crawl again. Baby #2 did not crawl until 11.5 months of age. She would not bear weight on her feet at all, and at 13 months she STILL wasn't bearing weight, which started to concern the doctor. I was certain that she was fine but agreed that if she showed no signs of weight-bearing or walking by 14 months that I'd have her checked. She started bearing weight around 2 days after that worrying appointment, and was walking at 15 months. Now she's a typical perfectly normal 20 month old.

Anyway, it sounds like your little girl is really close to crawling and to pulling up. Remember, 9 months is AVERAGE for crawling, so for every 6-month old that crawls, there is a 12-month old out there that just started too.

If your pediatrician approached it the way you describe it, it sounds like he needs some improvements in his bedside manner.

It also sounds like you're doing the right things to encourage it based upon the advice from the American Academy of Pediatrics:
http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/toddle...

In this link they also discuss babies that don't crawl. I'm sure he's concerned about her muscle tone and her ability to coordinate her desires with her movement. I don't think he's intentionally being a jerk, but he needs to explain his concerns to you so you don't panic.

As far as walking, I'd strongly encourage getting her a walker. Our son started using one before he was 10 months-old. He moved around with that thing like a champ. But, if we took it away, he froze. He had no confidence, and was a few days past his 1st birthday before that confidence was enough to walk on his own.

1 / 3