Can I Give Blood While Breastfeeding?

My work is having a blood drive and I would like to donate. I am exclusively breastfeeding my 4 1/2 month old daughter and don't want to do anything to cause problems with that. I have not been able to find much information about it. Does anyone have any experience with this? Or know if it is recommended or not?

I gave blood twice while breastfeeding and didn't have any problems. When I made my appoinment I asked and was told it wouldn't be a problem. I would just recommend eating a very good meal before and after - and make sure someone will be around after, since you aren't supposed to lift your baby for a few hours. Good luck!

As long as you did not have a C-section you can donate blood without any problems.

Congrats on your new baby! I also have a little girl, named Kayla, who was born in March (3/9). I haven't given blood for years because my last experience was a really bad one, but I recall hearing or reading that you shouldn't while nursing. I've thought about it lately but then remembered that and figured I won't be able to till I'm done nursing. HTH!

Just so you know, although it seems like you're donating a small amount, it can take 48 hours for your fluid levels to return to normal and up to 5 weeks for your body to replace all the red blood cells you've lost.

i also gave blood while breast feeding. Just make sure you have plenty of fluids before and try to have something to eat a little while before too. You can get more dehydrated and take longer to replace the blood because you are producing breast milf too. So just take some care and you should be fine. If you aren't sure ask first or call and ask you Dr.

R.

My lactation consultant said it was okay to do while breastfeeding. I did give blood and everything was fine. Just make sure to stay hydrated and eat something right after.

Hello...I donate blood regularly and the Blood Center told me I couldn't donate at all while I was pregnant or nursing. After I was finished nursing it was fine and I've donated since then.

From Kellymom

There are conflicting opinions about donating blood while breastfeeding. The US Red Cross okays blood donation for nursing moms after 6 weeks postpartum. Donating blood causes a small loss of blood volume (and therefore a loss of fluid), so there is a theoretical possibility for a short-term temporary reduction in milk supply. Moms with vulnerable supplies may want to avoid donation. In general, women who are not pregnant, have good iron levels (that will be tested before donation), are not taking antibiotics, and are at least 100 pounds are good candidates for blood donation.

Or LLL

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/blood.html

1 / 3