Can I Get a Ride?

Twice a week my grandson has basketball practice and a game. A friend of mine....always wants to go...not cause she likes the game...but because she knows we always go out to eat afterwards. She talks thru out the entire game with me and my family members about her own personal stuff. She is lonely...I know...and to top it off...she doesn't have a car. 24 extra miles I have to drive to pick her up and bring her back home. It is not an issue about her not paying for gas....it is just a long haul to begin with and then the extra 24 miles. I have done it a few times...reluctantly....but I just plain and simple don't want to do it anymore. How would you approach this? I am being faced with this at this very minute...she has already texted me for a ride.

You could just tell her that you have errands or an appointment and by the time you're done, you won't have time to drive out to get her.

"Sorry, I won't be able to get out there today. It would be nice to see you some weekend when I have more time. Are you free on the 11th?"

Sorry I can't. I have so much running around to do that I won't be able to do our normal car-pool.

"Sorry, Sue, we are really pressed for time and I won't be able to pick you up."

"I don't want no scrub, a scrub is a guy who can't get no love from me...
I don't want your number (no)
I don't want to give you mine and (no)
I don't want to meet you nowhere (no)
I don't want none of your time and (no)"

Whoa, sorry. TLC just infiltrated my mind.

You could tell her, "Sorry, I won't be able to give you rides anymore. Hope to see you there!"

You can start with, "sorry, I can't do it today."

Then, if you bring her again, don't go out to eat afterwards. Make it as boring for her as possible.

But other than that, you simply have to learn to politely say no. You get to enjoy your grandchild's game.

I agree with A.C., but I would not give in once in awhile. She is disturbing your watching your grandsons game, besides making you drive far out of the way.

What I would do is make arrangements for another day to take her for lunch somewhere near her house. Make it clear that you don't want to drive back and forth. That's reasonable!

Tell her you can't do it every time, but you will let her know when a good time is. Text her right now, "I can't tonight, maybe we can meet up in a few weeks."

If you ever do let her come again and she keeps talking, just look at her nicely and say, "I'm trying to watch the game, let's chat later."

Seriously, twice a week... that is a major headache, it's not like it's a quick trip either. Chat with her on the phone if she's lonely. Next time you visit, stay in her area for lunch, so that you don't have to drive her all over the place again.

1 / 3