Can Disposable Diapers Burn a Baby's Skin?

Hello all. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Last night my daughter over-used her diaper and the gel was coming out of the diaper this morning when she got up. My husband got up with her and called me in to see "this stuff" that was in her diaper. When I went to the bathroom, I noticed that she had some of this "gel" was on her skin. Now tonight I noticed that in the same spot she has a silver dollar sized red welt on her belly. It seems to be getting worse as the day went on...I didn't really notice it too much throughout the day until about 7pm tonight when my hubby asked me about it. Can this stuff really burn her skin to create a welt like that?? Could there be some other reason she has this welt? Has anyone else had trouble with this?

With my first, that happened to us, too. I simply would not use disposables again after that. It seemed to happen with nearly every brand of disposables we tried, with some being worse than others, but strange things happening with every one of them, and no definite data about what happens to their reproductive organs with all those strange things next to their skins for such a long time when they are developing so much and so fast?

So, we switched to cloth. We like the Mother-ease cloth diapers, the one-size (www.mother-ease.com). I am now using them on my 4th little one, and find diaper rashes an easy thing to deal with. When we used disposables, the children would nearly constantly have a diaper rash and issues from the diapers. With cloth, the rashes, when they get them, are short-lived.

Try either cloth, which as someone else mentioned are pretty awesome these days, or a disposable such as Seventh Generation, that are more environmentally friendly and don't contain the gel.

Diapers are made of a lot of unnatural ingredients that can definitely cause allergic reactions. My daughter gets a rash every time we put her in certain brands of diapers. Most of the time we use cloth diapers and don't have that problem.

She could be allergic to certain brands of diapers. My daughter was allergic to every diaper except for Luvs. Keep trying until you find one that works. Good luck! :)

Hi L., sorry about what happened! I would certainly try a different brand of diapers. Recommend you give her a bath, dry her well and and put diaper ointment on. I sell baby skin care products that are natural - plant based. My chiropractor tried other products for her baby and found these work the best. Are you interested? I live in Hudsonville, ###-###-####.

Sounds like she has sensitive skin and possibly even has developed a yeast problem. I'd use monistat on it and see if that helps and maybe leave the diaper off today as much as you can or use cloth or thick training pants if you have them when you're at home for a couple of days.

Yes they can. A friend of mines son had a horrible reaction to disposables. They quickly switched over to cloth and have had no issues. We also used cloth and it was super easy. I suggest checking them out! They've come a long ways over the last few yrs and it only adds a couple of loads of laundry per week. www.abbyslane.com

I'm not sure it can cause a burn, but I do know that sometimes it causes a reaction in the skin. We've had that happen before and it just went away on its own.

Baby's skin is delicate so just like certain brands of diapers may break them out, so might the gel stuff.

Yes, it absolutely can! The gel crystals are made of sodium polyacrylate - click this link for more info: http://www.howstuffworks.com/framed.htm?parent=question20...

It is definitely not unheard of for a reaction such as this to occur when their fragile skin comes in contact with the gel. Some kids don't have a reaction but a lot do.

1 / 3