Can Anyone Recommend a Face Wash for My 9 Year Old Daughter?

My daughter got her first pimple today and I'm thinking I should get her a facewash to use during bathtime that is just for young skin like hers. Any recommendations?

I ended up purchasing Oil of Olay foaming face wash for sensitive skin. She likes that she has her own face wash now like me. She's been using it at night and in the morning. So far so good.

Cetaphil was recommended to me in my preteens by my dermatologist, and I have used it ever since. Most of my model/actress friends use it (it's considered an industry staple). It is also gentle enough to be used on babies, and sells for under $10 (for a huge bottle) in the drugstore. The rest have too many chemicals for her age.

I would recommend Aveeno Fash Wash. It is very mild. My doctor swears by Aveeno for everything!! He has told me to use that on my daughter since she was born.

I really like the clean and clear face wash. I share it with my daughters and it seems to work well for all of us. It is very reasonably priced too :)

my 2 dauhghters 9-14 use avon immediaTe response cleanser..i sell avon just to get them product..http://youravon.com/tmurgitroyde
i have several kits 10.00 whole system..great for all..very gental very reasonable

The over the counter ones break my skin out. I use Proactive. I buy it at the Christiana Mall in DE because you can buy what you need instead of the 1 package they show on tv.

my son is 10 and in the last year I have noticed that he has a little breakout on his forehead. He really couldn't get the hang of washing with soap without getting it into his eyes. I bought the cleansing pads (anything from Avon to the drug store brand)I explained to him how to use them and the target areas (nose, forhead etc.) and have him use a warm washcloth after using the pad. Also, I have him wash his hands after he uses one and of course stay away from his eyes. I do have him use one in the morning and sometimes after sports. They really have helped, and are easy to use.

I got Aveeno Clear Complexion Cream Cleanser for my son. He is a red head with very sensitive skin and some of the face washes have some harsh chemicals in them. He is 13. It cleared his face up really good! He had quite a few pimples! He also uses Clean & Clear sensitive skin Deep Cleaning Astringent, which he applies with a cotton ball, after he gets out of the shower when his pores are open. Both of these you can find at Wal-Mart for a total of under $15.00 with tax. Tell her making sure to do it daily is the key. Make sure she gets enough water and not much sugar drinks. Acne is hard for kids especially girls. Catch it now and I think she'll be great! Don't get talked into buying really expensive stuff since you're not sure if the store bought stuff works yet. Good luck!

Hi N.,
Sometimes that is just a sweat pimple. My son started getting them around and on his nose at around the same age . it usually comes during change of seasons. So anyway he uses the oil free Clean and Clear it is the same as Nuetrogena just alittle less expensive. he then uses the oxy cleansing pads once in the morning and once before bedtime.Any more will dry the skin too much. Thereis one for sensitive skin but theydo not clear up the pimples.
It has been working well for him.Good Luck!

I couldn't agree with Aimee P any more. I've always suffered from acne and now at 35 I see a dermetologist. I've tried everything but I'm now back to the basics. My mainline dermetologist suggests Cetaphil, CerVe or Dove. Make sure she doesn't wash her face too much as drying it out can cause even more irritation. If her face doesn't improve I highly suggest seeing a dermelogist... Waiting till I was 34 to get results was way too long. Best of luck to you daughter.

Hi N.! Try Clean and Clear Morning burst face wash. It comes in at least three different styles/scents and works well on any type of skin without a bunch of chemicals. All three of my girls like it (each their own kind of course!)and they have all had really good results...even my oldest that has super sensitive skin. Best wishes.

Hi N.,
Can she use it without getting into her eyes? If so, great & then go with something as MILD as you can find. I was just thinking that most of the stuff WILL burn her eyes if it gets in and if that may be an issue, maybe you could let her wash her face as usual and have her use a very mild toner afterward to eliminate the eye burn issue. Personally, I find the Origins stuff to be pretty burning when I use it and I'm a lot older than 9! LOL Good luck.

Dove makes a gentle face wash that seems to work pretty well for my 11 year old. I think the biggest thing is to find something that doesn't have a lot of chemicals that will damage the skin. I also found a few things online when I did a search for "tween skin care" but nothing that could be purchased locally.

Good luck with face wash. Try having daughter use a mild soap when washing face and pat dry not rub. The chemicals in face washes are strong. Her skin has not changed yet . She still has the teen years yet. Keep it simple first, check dermatologist. I know the first pimple is HORRIBLE welcome to the early tweens.

time, patience, keep hands and makeup out of face.

When my stepdaughter first needed to start washing her face I got her a facewash by Zia, it was their seaweed cleanser. You can get it at wholefoods, and some smaller healthfood stores. It is gentle and natural, and they don't test on animals. Good luck!

We used cetaphil when we started washing our face and it is very gentle and highly recommended but at the age of 25 I really started getting pimples and now I use proactive and I love it. Good luck with the tween phase.

Hi N.,
I have had alot of success with the MaryKay Velocity Face Wash($10) and (very light,$12)Velocity moisturizer for my children,nieces and nephews as well as years of customers. If used twice daily it lasts about 6months and always MaryKay offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee. What I like about MaryKay is that as the child matures she can modify her skin regime as she needs. My 22, 21 and 17 year old currently have nearly flawless skin and 2 out of 3 had a bumpy acne journey. Why don't you check out the product and see what you think, you can communicate with me via that website as well: www.marykay.com/emordas

Check out Origins mint wash or checks and balances. It is a little on the pricey side, Approx $19-20, but it lasts forever! you only need the tiniest bit or you gets loads of suds. less than the size of a dime does the job. mint is a more natural way for dealing with break outs.

Most dermatologists recommend mild, fragrance free cleansers such as Cetaphil and Purpose. That is the direction that I would take if I were you. At 9 y.o. you will want the mildest formulation that you can find. While I think brands like Olay and Avon are great for adults (use them myself) They are heavily fragranced and can cause irritation-especially on young skin. Also-I would be wary of anything with AHA or any other anti-agers in it. Many cleansers will include this kind of thing and it may really irritate young skin.

Explore Mamapedia

face skin the seasons washing