Can a Child Have Two Godfathers?

We are blessing our third child and we have no good choice for a godmother. Both me and my husband have a brother who has not yet been asked to stand up for our children as a godparent. Both of whom would be very hurt if not asked. We have strong feelings about godparents being blood related and not married into the family. Our choices for godmother would be one of my cousins, but that would leave us to choose only one brother. We are not catholic, we are non-denominational . What are your thoughts?

Thanks for all the input ladies! I have suceeded in putting my husbands fears to rest. Our baby boy will have two god-fathers.

We are Catholic and in our religion, one can only have one Godfather and one Godmother (together), for Baptism and for First Communion, if it's a boy then a Godfather and for a girl, well a Godmother. And all parties must be practicing Catholics! :j

My daughter has 2 godmothers. It's a very common practice.

There is nothing wrong with 2 godfathers. Seriously, what does a godparent do? They should be someone who can share their religion with your child if something were to happen to you. That doesn't have to be a woman and a man.
My husband is Catholic and his church does NOT demand one of each or that both are Catholic. It depends on your specific church.

I think it is totally fine. My sister chose me and my sister to be godmothers for our niece. My other niece has two godfathers. I see no reason why you should pick someone to fill the roll just to have a godmother and a godfather. It should be who you would like to be the godparents.

Do what is best for your child, how can you go wrong?

My goddaughter has 2 godmothers - myself and another family friend. I don't see that there should be any problem. Maybe just check with your pastor to verify.

I am sure it would be fine to have two godfathers.

I am actually more amused by the previous responses because there seems to be different opinions on what Catholics do. I am Catholic too and I am scheduling the baptism my baby girl currently so I have just taken the required classes. I have never heard of godparents chosen for First Communion. For a Baptism, people usually choose two godparents and usually one is a female and the other is a man.

It would be interesting to see what the Pope would say is the 'right ' thing.

We are catholic & my priest will allow 2 Godfathers or 2 Godmothers. He feels that the baby having 2 great role models who will help the parents teach the baby the ways of the faith is more important. Yes there are some Catholic priest who won't allow it-like our old priest @ our old church in another state. I agree that you should pick who you want! My best friend is in a non denominational church & his pastor allowed him to baptise his children w/ either 2 Godmother, 2 Godfathers & 3 Godparents. Talk w/ your pastor & explain how your brother & brother in law are the best suited for your baby & how they will help you raise the baby in your faith & I'm sure your pastor will understand!

1 / 3