Can a 5 Year Old Sit in the Front Seat?

I was curious as to if a 5 year old can sit in the front passenger seat in a booster? I believe not but I figured I would ask anyway. I was looking for an article on it but had no luck. I could just not be looking in the right places. I may be wrong, maybe a 5 year old can sit in the front passenger seat in a booster. I dont know.

Mind yall it was JUST A QUESTION. My kids sit in the back seat. I was just wondering because I have seen many kids that dont look 12 in the front seat. That is what sparked my curiosity. Thank you to those that think that I want to harm my children.

I believe they have to be older than five as well as a certain height. Otherwise I think you will get a ticket for it.

NO kids are not allowed to sit in the front seat until the age of 12. The force of the air bags is the reason that they are not allowed in the front seat. It can sufficate and even break chest ribs.

I don't think you are a bad person, in fact I wondered about this once upon a time too and asked a police officer. This was in Dallas and the police officer told me that anyone under the age of 12 is not allowed to ride in the front seat of a car. If a truck does not have a back seat it is permissable as long as their is no airbags or the airbags have been disabled.

Hey Em,

I just wanted to give you my support and say I completely understood your question.

Some must have mistook your question for "What physically happens to a child if an airbag hits them?" or "I let my kids ride up front, what do you think about that?"

Don't let it get to you tho. Sometimes it is hard to communicate emotions or responses with just text. We've probably all mistook a question at some time or other.

No, it's not safe, especially if you have an airbag. Here's a portion of an article I found explaining this:

Air Bags and Children
When combined with safety belts, air bags can go a long way in protecting adults and older children from injury during a collision. These devices have saved lives and prevented many serious injuries. But infants and young children can be injured or even killed if they are riding in the front passenger seat when an air bag opens.

Air bags were designed with adults in mind: They need to open at up to 200 miles per hour to protect an average-sized, 165-pound (75-kilogram) male from injury. While this force is appropriate for adults and bigger kids, it can be dangerous for smaller passengers, possibly resulting in head and neck injuries. Protect your child from air bag injury by following these rules:

All children 12 years old and younger should always ride in the back seat, and in the middle of the back seat whenever possible. All passengers must have their seat belts buckled.
Air bags present a serious danger for babies riding in rear-facing car seats. Never place a rear-facing infant seat in the front seat of a car that is equipped with a passenger-side air bag. The safest position for a child seat is wherever it fits securely in the back seat.
A convertible car seat or booster seat should be placed in the back seat. If you have no choice and must place a car seat in the front, push the seat as far back as it will go.
A law passed in 1995 allows car manufacturers to install a manual cut-off switch that temporarily disables a passenger-side air bag. As recommended by National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, if you must place a car seat in the front seat (that is, if your car is a two-seater or if the car seat will not fit in the back seat) and your car has this cut-off switch, disable the air bag for the duration of the ride. Be sure to switch the air bag back on when you remove the car seat.

I find it funny to see people acting like this is the worst thing to ask ever. I have never seen so many people transporting unrestrained children in my life until I moved to Texas so if given the choice between a booster in the front or a mom holding a baby in her arms in the back I would take the booster in the front any day of the week. That being said the answer to your question is that it depends. It is safer to be in the center back seat of the car but boosters aren't made to be used with lap only seatbelts. They are suposed to be used with the lap/shoulder combination. It is more dangerous to have them in the rear center in a booster with a lap only belt than in the front with the lap/shoulder type belt on many cars. The reason they suggest having children stay in the back until they are 12 is because of the airbags. If you drive a car that doesn't have a passenger side airbag than puting them in the front passenger seat really isn't more dangerous than a rear side seat. It also depends on the size of the child more than the age of the child. If I went by the suggestions for my daughter riding in a booster and staying in the back seat of the car then I will probably have to drive her to her highschool graduation in a booster buckled in the backseat. If you have a lap/shoulder combination belt in the back center seat and it isn't already taken up by a rear facing infant seat then that is the best choice. If you have a lap only belt in the center and your car has passenger side airbags then you should put your child in a side rear seat for the best safety. If you have no airbags then being in the front seat isn't any more dangerous than being in the back seat. I work with cars as well as have 3 of my own kids so I know a little bit about this subject. I am sorry some others have decided to respond rudely. I hope this helps.

~L.

All children younger than 13 years are safest in the back seat.

I found this 2 web sites with information:

http://www.aap.org/family/carseatguide.htm

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/search/default.htm?search=boos...

It isnt about age, it is based on weight and height . . . go to

http://www.seatcheck.org/

we just went through a safety and certification class with them and it is quite eye opening. I almos tlost a daughter in a crash when we were t-boned by a semi truck going 40 miles an hour. . . safest place is in the back!!!! Best of luck

No, never put a child in the front seat ! Booster or no booster, they belong in the back-seats ! To many crazy drivers this day & time !........

1 / 3