Camping with an Infant

Hi Moms,

We are planning on camping this summer with our 11 month old. I was wondering if any of you could give me advice on what to bring? And if you have any suggestions on Camping Gear for babies, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, any other advice you can give for us as we attempt to camp with an infant. He is not walking or even crawling yet but he does roll everywhere!

Thank you!

I would suggest a "PeaPod" from OneStepAhead. The playpen is great for playing, but I would want a clean place for napping and night time. it is a great little enclosed "tent" with a blowup mattress. My son loves his (13 months) and we have always traveled with it, even in hotels.

We took our little ones camping all the time before they were 1. We packed our pack 'n play and set it up in the tent, (now we have a pretty big ten), and it was perfect. It was like a miniature crib away from home and they were even comfortable.

Exersaucer or walker (but be careful if it is a walker that he can't go out in the street!- we took my son when he was 10 months old and he managed to escape past our blockades a few times) - doubles as a "high chair" for meals. Also, I agree on the play pen - somewhere not dirty to play in (we kept ours outside). Enjoy and have fun! It will be harder when he is older and more mobile!

Camping with little ones is fun, but messy and sometimes exhausting! You have a lot of great suggestions! I agree with the pea pod "sleeping tent" or a pack'n'play, some kind of seat (bumbo, infant seat or portable high chair that attaches to a table) and a back pack or snugli carrier. Lots of wipes!! I also use a natural hand sanitizer for my little ones, then you can rinse the hands off with water if they put their fingers in their mouth. Sunscreen, sun hat and bug spray (or they have great bracelets now that you can attach to anything - www.onestepahead.com). My babies have slept with us, but I still dress them very warmly - socks, pjs, a sleep sack, a warm hat and mittens or socks on their hands if needed. I have always packed a little "first-aid kit" with aloe gel, polysporin, bandaids, saline, a nasal aspirator, an after bug bite pen to lessen the sting or itch, and baby motrin or tylenol. Hope you have a wonderful time!!!

A pack-n-play would be a good idea - especially since he isn't too mobile yet, and he won't get too antsy in there! Some kids don't sleep well camping, but my daughter was exactly the opposite - the only time she'd sleep thru the night was while camping. You never know until you try! I'd suggest a Kelty backpack, too - nice for roaming around...they have a great view, and everytime my kids were in one, they'd fall asleep (an added bonus for mommy & daddy). A good old bucket and shovel are always a hit for us, or any new toy that can keep their attention - a treat just to play with while camping. As he gets older, I'd recommend a cheap set of plastic golf clubs - they kept our son totally occupied from age 1 1/2 - 4 on camping trips.

Camping with a baby is actually really easy! I would recommend bringing hand wipes because he will get very dirty and it is an easy way to clean him. Large blankets for him to roll around on. We used his carseat snuggly bag thing (not sure what to call it) for his sleeping bag. We zipped our sleeping bags together and put him in his snuggly between us. It gets cold so remember bring some warm clothes. We also used a sling to carry him for hiking and walking around. Snacks, books and a few favorite toys and that's about all you really need. Have Fun!

the scariest camping trip for us (one w/each kid) was just after they learned to walk - lots of rocks to bang heads on, no balance-aaahhhh!
play pen. we used it for both containment during the day and for sleeping at night (we had a 8 x 10 tent, so it fit). they always spent the last 1/2 of the night w/me because both of mine were still nursing once during the night at that age and it was just easier to keep them in my bag at that point. If you use it for sleeping, bring blankets or an extra bag to put under the play pen - the air circulating under will make him cold.
booster chair. we set it on the ground or in the middle of the picnic table and it contained them while they ate.
lots and lots of layers for nighttime. we did a t-shirt, light onesie, heavy onesie, light jammies, heavy jammies, topped off w/a fleece snowsuit. they were pretty much the michelin man and we took lots of diaper creme - no way was there going to be a diaper change in the middle of the night w/all that!
take a full thing of diaper wipes - use them for everything - wiping hands, faces, toys, you name it. (actually we still take diaper wipes because they're so convenient, cheap, and work - and mine are now 5 and 7!)
winter hat, sun hat, and mittens. mountain evenings and mornings are cold.
And have fun! its a new and different experience to camp w/kids but worth it in every way.

We took my DD camping when she was 8 months and she loved it. We took a pack-n-play for playing and sleeping, a bucket and shovel, sun hat, warm pjs, and swim diapers (there was a lake nearby). Also I saw someone mention the Kelty backpack, which is a good idea. The rest is all normal stuff. If he sits up, bring a bumbo chair.

1 / 3