C-section Scar Extremely Itchy!

I had my second c-section about 8 months ago, and just recently, the scar has been driving me crazy. I feel like rubbing it constantly; not only does it then hurt, but it's not in the best location for public scratching. Anyone have a solution for itchy scars?? Thanks!

If the doc/midwife says no evidence of infection, then it's time to massage it daily--to twice a day. This is great for any scar. Olive oil works great (virgin) or Aquaphor type emollient.

use oil on it, and at night (or just when you're home, in private) massage it to help encourage blood flow to the wound and to help break down the scar tissue.

I have had 2 c-sections and my last one was about 18 months ago. Yes even know it gets itchy from time to time but I find if i just put the really thick lotion, like a type of body butter on after I get it out of the shower that seems to help a lot.

It's quite abnormal for scars to itch that far after they've healed. My best guess is that it's infected (which is the source of the pain/itching). I'd honestly recommend calling your primary care physician or OB/GYN (OK to call over the weekend and have them paged for something like this) and ask what they recommend. You may need an antibiotic. Usually itching is a sign of healing, but after 8 months, you should be well healed.

What about hydrocortisone? Get the max strength over the counter.

Or if you want to go all natural, you could try some peppermint oil mixed with a carrier oil like grapeseed oil or olive oil. Just a few drops of the peppermint. The NOW brand is good. You can get it at Fruitful Yield or Whole foods. I used it during my first pregnancy when I had a PUPPPS rash - unbearably itchy stretch marks. It didn't completely get rid of the itch, but it helped.

A second scar will itch a little more than the first. (I'm assuming the incision was the same place.) High grade tea tree oil will not only help with the itch but it will absorb deep into the tissue and can help with the scar tissue. It worked for me.

Don't worry...my section was 5 1/2 yrs ago and I STILL get bouts of intense itching. It's not constantly, but it does get embarrassing when it does happen. I just use the generic version of benedryl lotion that you can find at walmart.

I had my c-section almost 4 years ago now, and I STILL have itching from time to time. I was told that that is normal. Most of the time I just put a lotion on it (plain or hydrocortizone...depends on how bad it is itching), and it makes it go away!

I have to agree with most people put lotion or massage oil, also if you tend sweat then you may be itchy from that too.Also if you have lost a bit of weight then your skin cold be shrinking around the scar causing you to be itchy.Good Luck!

1 / 3