C-section - Slinger, WI

I had a C-section a year ago, and I had staples that needed to be removed. However, my sister-in-law and friend also had C-sections in the last year, but their doctors used internal dissolvable stitches (nothing needed to be removed later). They both seemed to be in less pain and on their feet sooner.

What's the difference between the two types of being sewn up? Does one create less scarring? Why would a doctor choose one method over another? (The internal stitching seems like a better deal to me!)

Thanks for the info. :)

I had the dissovable staples too. However I am a bigger woman and my inscision is bigger than normal than what I have seen on my friends. Some people have a very lite scar that has lessend over time however mine is dark. I was up the day of surgery and everyone was amazed that I wasn't in that much pain. I am not going to lie. I was in alot of pain but you don't have to do that alone and can have pain meds if needed. I also got to go in the sauna which I don't think you can do with conventional stitches. The only thing I had removed were the drains which are pretty quick.

The internal dissolvable stiches are used to close the uterus up. Then the staples are used to close your skin on the outside up. I really had no problems with this. I was up and moving and walking around the day after my c-section. I was tired but what new mother isn't! I think it has more to do with the indivdual person and even individual pregnancy as to how long it takes you to recover.

I had both! My first I had staples and the second I had disovable stitches! I felt much better with the stitches, because it felt less tight and uncomfortable! However, I do think that my incision healed faster with the staples! So, I guess there are plus and minuses to each side!

I had a C-section with my son and they used disolvable stitches. I can't compare pain with staples but I know that it hurt quite a bit for the first few days. Once I got home from the hospital, I didn't really have to take pain meds very often. My scar is not very visible and I didn't have to worry about getting the staples removed. I would probably prefer that to having to deal with staples.

I don't know! I had the staples but healed quickly. Could it be the difference in C-section cuts? My cut was vertical - I know most women get a bikini cut. Or, it could just be dr. preference.

1 / 3