Buying a House Very Close to a Power Line. Would You Do It?

We are looking at a house that is very close to a power line/power plant. Does anyone know if this can negatively affect ones health...would you do it?

Absolutely not. Both from a health and a resale standpoint. I don't know how bad it is for my family's health, but I'd rather not take the chance. As far as resale, it would cut out a whole market of buyers who'll take one look at the powerlines/plant and walk away, even if it's the best house they've ever seen. There are so many homes out there for sale right now, I'd have to be pretty desperate to buy one with such a large "con" even with so many "pros". Good luck!

I would not. My main reason would be for resale and my second reason would be for fears of health issues.

I just read this on my local newspaper:
http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/east_king/kir/news/85914592.html
I hope it helps...

Electro magnetic fields created by power lines/plants cause cancerous cells to multiply 3 times faster than normal cells not exposed to EMFs. They don't cause cancer, but they cause cancerous cells to multiply faster. I did a college research paper on this. In areas with heavy EMFs, people have a higher rate of cancer. I remember seeing data showing a group of school teachers whose rooms were closest to power lines all got cancer. While those further from the lines did not.

We recently bought a house and took a little meter with us to one house because we really liked it, but the power lines were very close and very large. It measured high EMFs and we did not buy the house for that reason alone.

I just read this on my local newspaper:
I hope it helps...

We almost bought a wonderful home 8 years ago but it was very near power lines. Besides the unknown health risks, there is also resale value to be considered. This area was saturated with many lovely homes for sale. We weren't comforable with it. If you have doubt, don't do it. Another home will come along that will feel right.

Yes, it can negatively affect your health. I personally wouldn't do it. It has the same general effect that fluorescent lights have. The insurance companies have actually named this disorder...go to http://public-healthcare-issues.suite101.com/article.cfm/...

Hope I helped!

I would not do it. I had a neighbor who worked for an electric company they had a much higher than average history of cancers.The company finally did a study about it. There are sooo many houses for sale today I 'm sure you can find another one. Good Luck

M. A, others have talked about the health issue. I would say that perhaps in addition to that issue, you think about resale value. It may be hard to sell it to someone else, because they may be reluctant to buy a house near power lines.

1 / 3