Buying a House, Inspector Found "Mold"......

We are unde contract on our home, and paid nearly $500 for an inpsection. The inspector found evidence of mold on a couple of the exposed beams in the unfinished basement. He said it appears the sump pump at one time busted and water got on the beams causing this mold growth. He "strongly encourages" that we ask the sellers to have a professional come and clean the area properly.

Well the sellers just came back and said that want US to pay for a professional mold inspection to make sure it IS really mold. These run from 2-6 hundred dollars!? That just for an inspection not removal!!??

It is my understanding that if we were to back out of this contract, they are legally required to disclose that an inpsection earlier found this mold.... is that correct? I'd call the company but it's sunday. I am really frusturated here. To you mom's, would this be a deal breaker?? We are paying very close to asking on this house, and are letting quite a few other smaller issues go.

I'd hate to lose this house, but I also will not pay for a house with mold present!!!
If it's just one area, will this be an expensive fix??? It's really not a large area, just 2-3 feet per board. I've never dealt with this issue before, so we're at a loss.

This would definitely be a deal breaker. I would tell the sellers no. I would tell them that not only do they have to pay for the inspection, they have to pay for mold removal, or you will back out of the deal. You also want proof that they are using a quality company that does this type of removal for a living, and not just some jackleg who said he did it.

You DO NOT want to have to fix this mold issue. You will have to disclose that you had to do mold remediation when YOU sell the house, remember that.

You also don't know if it's just 2 or 3 feet. That's what the inspector saw. When they get up in there to fix it, they could find more, and also mold in the insulation.

Don't let the home sellers push you around. They will ask for the moon. You don't have to give it to them, and you don't have to buy the house. $500 is nothing (what you spent on the inspection) compared to what you'll pay for the trouble this will cause you if you cave to them.

I lived in an apartment with mold when I was in college. I was sick constantly, missing classes, and no one knew what was wrong. Finally, we discovered that I had allergies. I had never had allergies before (and now I'm allergic to EVERYTHING), but additional allergies can be caused by mold.

For me, this is a deal-breaker. If they wouldn't fix it, I would walk, plain and simple.

Yes, they must now disclose it or fix it at their expense anyway....

If you want the house, you have a few options:
Pay for the professional inspection
Offer to split the cost of the professional inspection

I know when we've bought/sold houses, there is a stipulation that anything over $X is to be fixed by the seller, under $X is paid for by the buyer. What does yours say?

You can either walk away or press on, at some possible expense. At any rate they will most likely have to fix it to sell the house.

I have a friend that had condensation drip on a tiny area of the block in her basement and it was THOUSANDS of dollars (and evacuation) to get it fixed.......

ETA: It was BLACK mold, which cannot be safely removed with bleach and water.

I would refuse to pay for it. You didn't do it so why should you pay for it. They legally have to disclose this now.

On a side note, when I was selling a home, one of the light sockets wasn't working. Their inspector told them to ask for an $8,000 credit at closing. I said heck no, the house was only 6 yrs old, I built it. I got an electrician to come out and $60 later it was fixed.

Well I am not the expert and have never bought a home, but I do have some experience with mold. About 5 yrs ago I lived in a little old house that we got great rent at. Part of the reason we got such great rent is b/c the house had issues and b/c my husband is in construction the landlord would say "oh can he just fix it and ill take it off the rent". We were able to do a few things but then we noticed mold and when i say mold I noticed mushrooms (little tiny ones) growing out of the hallway wall that the bathroom was behind. Seems there was major plumbing issues obviously but we told landlord we couldnt fix b/c we didnt know about plumbing and that it was a huge job. Months later I noticed these little mushrooms growing out of the carpet on an area clear across the room from hallway. During this time I got incredibly sick, so sick that I had to stop working (first time in my life I was that ill) and they couldnt figure out what was wrong with me but that my epstein barr titers were really high. We moved out of this house and threw everything we could away and washed everything else. I got better but still think everyone in my family has issues with the past exposure to maybe a toxic mold. I am not trying to scare you, but just be very careful. Your problem doesnt sound as bad as the one we had, but if you do buy and have this issue repaired, make sure it is done properly.

It comes down to whether your desire to buy the house is greater than their desire to sell. They're under no obligation to hire a mold inspector. But they run the risk of you walking away from the sale and they'd have to disclose that mold was found and fix it themselves anyway. You're also under no obligation to hire a mold inspector, but YOU run the risk of having a mold issue in your new home. This is a decision YOU have to make. Several things could happen.

1. You pay for the inspection, mold is found, you walk from the sale and are out several hundreds of dollars.

2. You pay for the inspection, mold is not found, you buy the home with peace of mind and are out several hundred dollars.

3. You refuse to pay for the inspection and the deal falls apart. An inspection WOULD NOT HAVE SHOWN a major mold problem and you've lost a house you really wanted. You'll never know.

4. You refuse to pay for the inspection and the deal falls apart. An inspection WOULD HAVE SHOWN a major mold problem. You dodged a bullet. You'll never know.

5. You don't pay for the inspection, buy the house anyway and seriously take your chances with the mold problem - maybe it's a major issue, maybe it isn't. If it's a major issue and you bought the house knowing there MIGHT be a problem, you're out thousands of dollars in mold removal services.

When we bought our home, we paid for all the various inspections. WE'RE the ones who wanted them, so we paid for them. The sellers basically said "take it or leave it". OUR desire to purchase this house was GREATER than their desire to sell, so we had various inspections done to our satisfaction and purchased the house. The seller never budged. We still feel we got a great deal because nothing was "unfixable" and the house was priced to sell.

Mold, however, was not one of the issues. My son and husband have mold allergies, so for us, mold WOULD have been a deal breaker and we would have walked had the inspection (that we would have paid for) shown a problem.

At this point, it's a game of chicken. Will you budge or will they? Do you want the house more than they need to sell it? If so, you'll have to pay for the inspection.

Yup, deal breaker. No way would I have bought a home with mold like that, cleaned up professionally or no. Run! lol.

I would tell the sellers that you will pay for the professional mold inspection, but if mold IS found, they must pay for BOTH the mold inspection that was performed as well as the professional removal.

If it is NOT found, then at least you have peace of mind.

1 / 3