Burping up Lots of Breastmilk - Why???

My son is 2 months old, and he burps up A LOT after breastfeeding. I don't believe that it's my diet. He's my 8th baby to breastfeed, so I know that certain foods affect the make-up of the milk, and I don't think it's the foods I'm eating. Also, it isn't a matter of him eating too much. If anything, he needs to gain more weight at a better rate, and his dr wants me to suppliment him with formula because she doesn't think he's getting enough. Is is possible that babies can be lactose intollerant, and unable to drink breastmilk? He squirms around during the feedings and it's a burp that needs to come up. He wants so badly to continue drinking, but he is unable to stay latched on because he just doesn't have the room in is stomach to eat more. I sit him up and he burps a lot, then he's able to latch back on and finish the feeding. Sometimes he lets go while nursing, burps (often bringing milk back up with it), then latches back on. After the feeding, I gently sit him up, and within seconds, he belches and brings up A LOT of milk (the amt looks like a quarter to almost a half cup). I tried burping him numerous times during the feeding, and inbetween switching sides. He does burp, but he's mad because he's hungry and just wants to eat. Any thoughts on this??? Thanks Ladies :)

First off have to give you thumbs up for taking care of 8 KIDS WOW I can barely keep up with my 2. lol I would say acid reflux is it. My 2 had the same thing and they out grew it around 3 mo it is just a lot of messes lol. The med they put them on worked for like 1 wk and that was it... Hope things get better for you...

Two things I would recommend. Digestive Enzymes and Aloe.

You can order them online at www.marketamerica.com/W. and feel free to e-mail for dosage instructions. ____@____.com

I have helped many mothers with this exact issue. No need to worry, it is an easy fix.

Cheers, T..

Honestly, it sounds like oversupply or overactive letdown to me (and no one else has mentioned that yet). Do you always switch sides during a feeding? It's possible that, especially after nursing 7 other babies, your body has started to really produce a lot of milk.

Check out this link, and you may want to only nurse on one breast per feeding and start block feeding. It should help your child get more hind milk (which may help him gain weight), and it should reduce the spitting. (I love www.kellymom.com for breastfeeding issues!)

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

I nursed my oldest for 14 months, my middle child for 2 1/2 years, and I'm still nursing my 21-month-old. I had serious oversupply issues with my 2nd child, and she was a huge, projectile spitter. Once I finally got my supply regulated, she started to do much better. I was more proactive in preventing the oversupply with baby #3, and he did much better from the beginning.

Good luck to you, and congrats on your big family!

Unless he's colicky don't worry too much about it. You only have to worry about reflux if he's screaming all the time or if he doesn't gain weight. Breastmilk is thin and easy to spit up, especially the watery foremilk. Hindmilk is much thicker. So, don't switch sides unless he's TOTALLY drained one side and still wanting more. It's actually kind of weird that Americans switch sides every feeding, most other countries don't teach this.
Also, you know all those receiving blankets you never use for anything? They make great burp cloths! :)

Sounds like it may be acid reflux to me. My third one had the same issue. My DH used to freak out thinking that she was spitting up as much as she was taking in, even though that was not the case. Talk to your pediatrician about possibly treating him for reflux and see if that helps. You'll know within a couple of days of treatment if its helping or not.

And yes, there is a possibility of babies being lactose intollerant, but usually it is because of the lactose in YOUR diet. If you remove the dairy products from your diet you may find him to be more comfortable.

when he spits up with burping --is it like projectile vomiting-- coming out? If that is the case, sometimes they have a gastric inlet problem that your doctor can help you with.

I don't think babies CAN be lactose intolerant to breastmilk. If you think he is lactose intolerant to cow's milk, and you determine to supplement with formula, try a soy-based formula. I personally would hate to start supplementing at this young age..you may have to nurse more frequently so he gets smaller amounts more often.

He may have colic or excessive gas and that's making him feel full and need to burp. Maybe Mylicon (sp?) drops would help.

Try eliminating dairy in all forms from your diet. I have three children with multiple food allergies that had trouble with my breast milk. Check out the FAAN website for more info.

I would talk to a Lactation Consultant, maybe have them observe a feeding. For some reason, it sounds like he is sucking in a lot of air when he nurses. Maybe he isn't latching on correctly. A good LC should be able to help you figure this out. If it isn't a latch problem, then maybe they would have other ideas. I have read a lot about reflux in the other posts. I don't recall reflux occuring with a lot of burping, but I could be wrong. I work in a NICU, and we don't usually see a burping problem with the reflux.
Good luck to you. It can be frustrating when you're trying to figure things out for your child.
R.
PS I have a friend who had to take her child off of Breastmilk because she had so much gas and tummy problems. She switched to a lacto-free formula, and her baby was much happier. So according to her experience, babies can be intolerant to breastmilk.

I would say check for acid reflux or GERD. My youngest son did the exact same thing and it took us almost a year to figure out what was wrong with him. Once we put him on it(Prevacid), within a month he was a completely different baby and we have never looked back. It was the best thing for us (and him) to be persistent. We even had to change drs. because they didn't believe me and would not change their minds. Just a suggestion, but definitely something to look into.

Hi. I breastfed and botttle fed both of my sons, and although both kids gained weight well, one of them had a hard time with a burping problem like yours. I finally settled on taking frequent burping breaks, which made him mad, but it kept him from burping up the large quantities of milk/formula.

1 / 3