Burping Help and Gas Relief for a 4Mo

I have a 4mo little girl who had a lot trouble with gas early on. I wasn't able to breastfeed, so started her on formula and had to try several until we found one she could tolerate (Nutramigen). She still had lots of gas, but we burped (endlessly!) and used Mylicon drops on occassion and she finally started getting better a little before 3mo. She seemed to have the burping down and no longer had any gas pains.

This seems to have ended. Last week, when she started getting more distracted during feedings, she just wasn't burping well. We would bounce, pat, jostle, whatever, but she just wouldn't burp much. This past weekend, she had two terrible bouts with gas because we just couldn't get her to burp during a couple of her feedings. We gave her Mylicon (which we hadn't used in at least a month) and she seemed to finally burp a little (and toot a lot!) and then feel better. Since then, we've been giving her the Mylicon after every feeding to help with the burping, but we don't think this should be a long term solution.

Has anyone else had this problem? Do you have any creative suggestion for burping? We've tried the laying over the lap, sitting up leaning forward over a hand or arm and, of course, the old standby - over the shoulder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know that the bottle says it's safe for every feeding, but we'd rather she not have to have it any more than she needs it.

thanks,
P.

PS. We're still using the "slow" nipples... not sure when to go to the "fast" nipples... maybe if she was eating faster, she could burp better?

I had similar trouble with my son (who's now 1) and tried many different things. First, let me say that I DID breastfeed and still had similar experiences. So, alleviate that "I didn't breastfeed" guilt! You might have had the same problems!

For my son, liquid formula worked better than the powder. He was able to digest that better. I also found out that he has "silent" acid reflux, so he had some heartburn and indigestion that I was unaware of. You might be careful about the over the arm and over the lap burping. My doctor prescribed some medicine for stomach pain and gas called Carafate that helps a lot!

When he was older (about 8-10 months), I started making fennel tea, and this helps more than the medicine. It helps him release the gas and prevent the pain. I make it with about 2-3 cups of water and about 1 tablespoon of fennel seeds. Boil for 15 minutes, and give it after meals. Your daughter might be too young for this now, but it might help her later. Good luck!

Have you tried Dr. Brown's Baby Bottles? My best friend swears by them! Also, is your baby lactose tollerant? They found that little Morgan can't have milk products.

Another suggestion is from my mother. I was a very gaseous baby. She would add a pinch of baking soda to water and give me that. Of course she didn't know I was lactose intollerant until now.

I hope this helps! I had issues burping until I was in HS. Good luck to your little one!!!

Hi, I don't know if this will be much help with the actual burping but it is GREAT for gas and gas pains. My son had colic--what a nightmare. We started infant massage. I just researched on the internet for gas and infant massage and found some great little 10 minute routines. The BEST thing for gas is lay her on her back. Take her legs and bend them at the knees and rock them up to her chest. Rock the legs over and over for a minute almost like you are rolling her into a little ball. Also, the massage where you use the palm of your hand and do clockwise rotations on her belly was one of my son's favorites. It helps to manually move the gas through the intestines and out through her bottom. It was very soothing and both of those techniques would help my son release gas. The knee rocking technique is appearently an old one. I told my friend about it and when she mentioned it to her mom, her mom said,'of course' that she had done it to them (her kids) 30 years ago. In any case, do a quick internet search for infant massage and find a few techniques for your daughter. The two previously mentioned ones worked fabulously well on my son.....
Hope that helps. :)

Hi P.,
I had the same problem. FOr 3 months my poor little boy couldn't burp and he had terrible colics. From 4 pm to 11 pm he was crying none stop. We change his formula to soy formula and that created more gas, the only thing that worked was changing the bottle to Dr brown, they work wonders! THe other thing is how you burp her, once she is done eating pad her back to find the gas trapped, you can actually hear it/feel it.. sounds different, it's hollow. Once u find it rub on it for couple of seconds. Your baby might start moving like a worm and that will be a good sing of gas trapped. Just then oce u found it tap wiht ur fingers instead with ur hand and you will hear her burp. I promise it will work. I will also recomend if she curls her legs a lot and spits a lot to check her for acid reflux. We mistake the colics with the pain they fill from the acid. they just cry, observer her.. does she burp and makes bitter faces? does she spit a lot? does she make bitter faces? all that.
I hope i can help you, i understand it's horrible to see them in pain.
I have a 8 month andthe first 4 were terrible.

good luck

Try getting "gripe water". You can buy it online or in health food stores. It is natural, made from ginger and anise. That helped my daughter. Your daughter may also have acid reflux. Mine had to take Zantac. Possibly discuss this with your dr. Also I would mix the formula ahead of time, not with each feeding. (If you aren't already doing that) Good Luck

My daughter was the same way. I know you don't really want to use the gas drops as a long term resolution, but we found that by putting a couple of drops in every bottle we fed, it really cut down on gas issues. And the more solids that are introduced to her diet, the less the gas will be an issue so that by the time our daughter was 6-7 months old, we no longer needed the drops at all (she was also burping herself by then). Hope this helps.

I had the same problem. We also used the mylicon, but we used the formula made for gassy or fussy babies. It seemed to help too. This might sound strange, my brother taught me this. Turn her upside down (while holding on tight of course), it will separate the food from the air....I know it sounds strange, I didn't try it until I was absolutely desparate and then it worked, we had to call and thank him! Let me know if you have any other questions and good luck!

Randa

I've been an in-home child care provider over 20 years, have raised two daughters of my own and now have 4 grandchildren.

My advice to you would be to try rice cereal and pears (first foods) to begin with. Then, if the gas and discomfort continues, I'd try her on a formula without iron in it. Your pediatrican may not agree....but at one time we didn't give infants formula with iron unless they specifically needed extra iron for anemia and such. I know it's old fashioned...but generations after generations of infants have survived on old fashioned advice. If an adult or child does not need iron then it can create stomach discomfort. So many many infants have to use mylacon and other drops for gas now. In fact, it's rare that they don't use them. So, if she's truly uncomfortable and the rice and pears don't seem to help. I'd be certain it's the iron in the formula she's getting.

See what you think. Follow your gut instinct. It sure won't hurt her for a few weeks to drink the plain formula. She's YOUR baby. A doctor can only give you an educated guess.

Also, if you think she might have a milk allergy, you can try one of the soy based formulas...but they contain iron, too.

Years ago, one of my daughters couldn't tolerate anything other than goat milk (which is also sold canned over the counter). I mixed it just like formula....half water. It's much easier on the stomach. But, I doubt you'll have to go that far.

1 / 3