Bunk Beds - Longview,TX

I am thinking about getting bunk beds for my girls room. They are 6 and 3. Do you think that I should wait until the 3 yr old gets older or is it okay to go ahead and get the bunk beds? Thanks!!!

My girls are 8 and 3. I don't have a problem with either one on the top bunk. My oldest sleeps up there but the youngest will go up on occasion to play up there with big sis. The problem I have is my 22 month old going up there. So, in the morning once everyone is up, I take the ladder off and lay it across the top bed.I also got the kind of bunk beds that can separate into twin beds so if it didn't work or we wanted to change things up a bit we could.

I would set rules, such as that the 3-year-old has to sleep on the bottom, and cannot climb up to the top unless an adult is present. Then, I think it should be fine.

we just got bunk beds for our boys 3 and 8 mos. Obviously only the 3 yr old is sleep on them, we didn't attach the ladder yet so he can't get up there. Walmart carries several very nice sets the stack and un stack so you can go ahead and buy them now and have them unstacked and the when your little one is ready you can stack them up. Our bed says no one under 6 on the top bunk

We now have space where we don't have to have bunk beds but, we had our 3 year old daughter and 1.5 year old son at the time in bunk beds for over a year and it was just fine.

I think it depends on your kids. We tried bunk beds while we were on vacation. My 3 yo just would not stay off the top bunk. Every time we left the room, he had climbed up there. And it wasn't to sleep, it was to bounce around. My 6 yo started in the top bunk but after 30 minutes she decided it was too hot up there and she was scared and ended up on the bottom bunk. We ended up putting the 3 yo in another room and then the 6 yo got the bottom bunk. Is there a way you can try it out for a night some where to see if it works?

I put bunk beds in the room of my oldest two when they were 4 and 2, but I would put the ladder up during the day so the little one couldn't climb up to the top bunk. I separated the bunk beds into two twin beds when we moved to a bigger house with an extra room, but now I'm getting ready to put the bunk beds back together for my 5 1/2 and 2 1/2 year-old girls to make room for the crib now that we're expecting #4.

Most groups recommend that children not use the top bunk until they are at least six years old. Since you have a 6yo, you could allow the six year old to sleep on the top bunk and the 3yo on the bottom bunk. But you will have to be vigilant about the 3yo getting up there. (Pulling the ladder up can help with that.) Also, even with children 6yo and older, injuries can and do occur. So make sure you check for things like rails on the side. Here are two websites to help you decide what's best for your family:

http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/welcome/safety/bunk_beds.html

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/babies-kids/preschoole...

They are fun but but can be dangerous. A lot of kids are injured falling from them every year. I heard of a child just last week falling from one and landing on a chair. He was taken to the ER and had horrible headaches, dizziness and nausea. I am not sure how he is doing now. I have not heard. Bunk beds are fun but I just wanted you to be aware. I have a special needs child so I know how hard it can be if you child is not 100%. I really worry that a child will hurt them self on a bunk bed. I probably sound too extreme, but it would only take one fall and all the regrets come rushing in. I like the idea of trundle beds, they sound fun.
Good luck with your decision.

W.

Our boys were 5 and 3 and it was fine. They end up sleeping together on the bottom bunk most nights and its so cute:)

We got them for our boys at about those ages,it was fine. The older one slept up top. The younger was a great climber so he'd go up there and sit but not sleep (until he got older, and they'd switch).

K. Z.

1 / 3