Bumpers or No Bumpers

Hell all,

My 3 month old daughter has been sleeping in her bouncy seat in the crib up until now. I think she is ready to finally give it up and go straight into the crib. The other night, I tried and twice she woke up screaming because she had rotated herself about 90 degrees and was at the foot of the crib with her head hitting the slats. I am torn whether to put the bumpers on the crib. All of the SIDS research strongly advises against it which is why I never had them on but I am nervous about her hitting her head. I also feel like those mesh bumpers would not offer much help against her head either. If anyone has run into this, any thoughts would be appreciated!

Hi K.--
My son did the same thing, when we moved him to a crib at 3 months he would always end up in the corner with his little head smushed up against the wooden slats, it drove me nuts, I was worried he'd damage his brain through his soft spot or something! My doctor said it was fine and not to worry abou tit, and told me not to use bumpers. The risk for SIDS is up to one year (not 3 months, as someone else posted, though I think the risk decreases as time goes on, and as someone else says, the research seems to be suggesting now that SIDS deaths might be due to a glitch in the brains of those babies that doesn;t startle them when they aren't getting enough oxygen, so they don;t adjust like most babies do). My son in ten months old now and still smushes his head up in the corner half the time, it's never been a problem. good luck!

K.,

What fun age when they hit 3 months. From what I understood, at three months they are past the sids caution window. I still have my bumpers in and my daughter is now 18 months.

Reasons are 1. I like the protection and I can sneak a peak on her while she is napping or sleeping. 2. She has never tried to climb up on them, when they do try, you are to drop mattress to lower position or if in lowest, remove them.

So I say, try them out. It might make her feel like she is more wrapped up in a coocoon, etc. I think my daughter likes that 'space' to herself. Good Luck!

I never used bumpers with our son, but just wanted to add that the most recent research indicates that most babies who die of SIDS actually have damage to the part of their brain that regulates breathing etc. Also, most are boys I think. I agree with the other posters - you do what is reasonable to minimize the risks (light blanket, and thin or breathable bumpers if you decide to use them), but ultimately you have to trust that your baby is healthy and will remain that way when you put her to bed.

I HIGHLY recommend Breathable Bumpers. I got them from One Step Ahead. My daughter has had them for 18 months and besides not being scared that she would curl up and have breathing problems, they still work and she can't climb on them.

When we moved my daughter to her crib at three months, she immediately stuck every limb she could through the slats. We went out and bought a traditional bumper, but almost right away she decided to give us a heart attack by pushing her face up against the bumper to sleep. After two sleepness nights, we went out and bought the breathable bumper -- we got ours at Babies R Us. It's great b/c it keeps her in but allows her to smush her face against the sides. She's 9 months now and we've had no problems at all.

Hi K..
As a nurse & mom of 2 young daughters (my oldest 2 & my baby is 5 months), I did a lot of research for SAFE bumpers and found BREATHABLE BUMPERS. They are awesome! I got mine at Target (online ONLY). They are made out of breathable mesh material & trimmed in a thin piece of gingham trim (they have pink, blue, sage, yellow, & all white). The trim gives it the perfect touch to not "take away" from the nicely decorated nursery. I "think" BabiesRUs carries them now too, but I'm not for sure. I think it's a great alternative to the traditional thick padded bumpers that many of us moms fear. As we all know, SIDS is to this day a "mystery" and can happen for unknown reasons. However, with breathable bumpers it can help give moms the peace of mind knowing they are taking one step further to possibly reduce the risk of SIDS. Go to www.target.com and look under Baby (then the left hand column you will see Breathable Bumpers). Good Luck on your decision making.
~V.

K.,

I've heard the controversies over the bumper, but I still used it because of similar reasons. Also, my son's foot would get caught inbetween the bars. He's 14 months and I still have the bumper in there. I have the regular one, but I've seen ones that are thinner with some breathing room. Maybe you could consider that style.

Also if you do decide against it, just realize it won't be long before she'll be able to adjust herself in the crib so she's not in uncomfortable positions.

I have my son in the Halo Sleep Sak too, which also prevented his feet from getting caught in the bars.

K.,
I went through the same issues a few months ago. I didn't use the bumbers at all and then when she hit about 6 months she started hitting her head. She's almost a year now and doesn't do it anymore. I haven't tried the breathable bumbers but a friend has and loves them and they are only about $25 I think. My feeling was that a potential bumb on her head was alot better than suffocation. Do what you feel is best for your daughter. It's alot easier to change the crib sheet too without a bumper on....Have fun with your daughter!

Use the bumpers! My friends and I debate about this lots. I'm no expert on this topic, but it seems that a lot of reseach on SIDS is pretty wishy-washy. Other than "back to sleep", I did not really feel that the reseach was well documented enough to stop using the crib bumpers. My daughter loved the bumper in her crib. I would find her rubbing her hand against it and the sensation lulled her to sleep! Though, we had a very small and thin bumper, not one of those super plush ones. I didn't feel that it was a hazard at all.

Good luck in whatever you decide...it's so hard to navigate through all the different theories and research.

1 / 3