Bump on Toddlers Forehead from Fall

My parents were watching my 19 month old som for me one day when my son slipped while he was playing and hit his forehead on the hardwood floor. My Mother iced it for a little (as much as a toddler would let her) but a big bump with a bruise came up. (He was fine otherwise with no other sign of injury and resumed normal play.) It is now 3 weeks and though the bruise is gone, there is still a hard bump under the skin...almost as hard as bone! I had taken him to the doctor for a cold 2 weeks ago and she just brushed aside the bruise as just another toddler mishap but now I'm thinking of taking him back. A chiropracter told me that it may be a "bone bruise" which could mean that though it may shrink, he may have it forever! I'm praying that will NOT happen! Has anyone had this happen to their child? How long did it take to go away? Any advice?

P.S. The other result is that now I am super worried whenver anyone else is watching him or taking care of him for me (which is not often). I know children will fall and have these accidents but it's difficult not to worry!

I sent individual "thank yous" out but I have to say that I am completely overwhelmed by all the supportive responses I have received and in such a short time! You ladies have really given me the peace and reassurance that I needed. I cannot express my appreciation enough to all of you who replied! I felt so horrible and worried that this happened to my son that it was diificult to even share it. I was not sure where to turn but now I know that I turned to the right people! I feel normal again and am reminded that this is all a part of growing up. It's funny how we forget how many bumps and bruises we had when we were children!

Thank you for all the advice, words of encouragement, and for sharing your experiences! You moms are the best! I will post an update as things progess.

My daughter had this happen to her when she was about a year and a half. She fell while in the shower with me and hit her head on the tile thresh hold. She is now 3 years old, and I can STILL feel the lump on her forehead from where she hit. My ped said that it might never go away. My daughter is fine though. It is not visible, just able to be felt. I wouldn't worry about it if it's not bothering him.

to ease your mind before you don't have one left. Get him a cute pro football helmet if you can find a small one or else a bike helmet make it a game get one for yourself too. this will do im no good but it will sure help you. If it doesn't go away he can make up onehellofa story on how he got it fighting the bad evil doers.

Hi N.,
I have an 18 mo old who has had several severe blows to his forehead on the tile. I am super worried also about the permanent pump on his head, does not go away. It has been about 6 weeks now that he has not had any accidents but I don't see it going down. I really couldn't tell because he kept hitting his head on the same spot. I'm going to take him for his check up and see what the doctor says. Please keep me informed. Thanks.

I really don't think you should worry. My nephew (who I've had for 3 years) was the clumsiest baby/toddler I have ever seen. He was always tripping over nothing and falling in the floor, he would walk into door jambs... This boy ALWAYS had a bump/bruise somewhere on his head. Nearly every professional photograph we have of him, you can see the bump/bruise on his head. We were so concerned we even took him to the doctor thinking something was wrong with him, but the ped said he was just a normal, active, although clumsy little boy. Even now, he is always hurting himself by jumping out of swings, off furniture, climbing trees....(he's 6 now and ALL BOY). Just this morning he flipped over the back of the sofa and fell on his head. I said all that to say this...he has a perfect head, he's not been disfigured in any way. Not one permanent bump on his head anywhere. Yes, they often took a very long time to go away, especially because many times the bumps were in the same places over and over again, but they DID go away eventually.

As far as the future goes, you can't protect them forever. I know that is a hard concept to deal with, but they WILL get hurt...it's a natural part of life. Just do the best you can when he is with you, only leave him with others who you know are also responsible...but accept the fact that there WILL be bumps, bruises, cuts, scrapes, and possibly even broken bones or stitches (depending on how rambunctious he is when he's older). Raising 3 boys myself, I take it all in stride. When it was stitches for one, then a broken arm for another, I just thanked the Lord that they were still alive and would heal in time. I always think about how much worse it could have been, and then I'm grateful that we haven't been there yet.

This is totally normal. Kids are clumsy and they are especially so when they are in a place that they are not used to being in every day.
It could take months for the bump to go down. My son had one of these "goose eggs" for several months. And the strange thing is, he seemed to hit that same spot several more times, making it worse. But eventually, it goes away, and one day you will notice that it is gone (or at least not noticeable anymore). Next time he hits his head, or any bony body part, take a large metal spoon and hold it there for as long as possible with the outside of the spoon. It takes the swelling down and keeps it from making a big bump. You may mention this to anyone you leave him with too. That's all it takes. A spoon on the area. If it's bad, it may take 30 minutes, but it's worth it. Seems funny, but it works miracles! You could try it on his bump now, but I don't know how much good it would do since it is already done.
Take Care,
Mom of 4
wife of 1
child of God

N.,
I don't know what the other moms have said, but I will check their responses later, I don't have much time at the moment.

Poor thing, you do sound frantic and with darn good reason. I am sure that your mom was livid when your son fell. She probably hurt and cried longer than your son did. She did the right thing, Ice as much as he would allow. Sometimes, contusions occur, these are bruising of the bone, but are not usually serious. Because he is so young, his bone structure is tender. The bump you are feeling may be from the bruising, (blood in the area, because the scalp and head are very vascular, (vein filled.) This will be okay. some bruises takes longer to heal, and on the head and face, for sure. Think of how long it takes a black eye to heal and equate it to that. It will be sore for sometime, maybe even after the swelling has disapated, and that is normal. You should not feel panicked or worry too much as long as he is not blacking out, having motor movement problems, or having redness on the whites of his eyes. (sclera). If he is not staring into blank space and drooling with involuntary movement of his extremites for periods of time, he is fine. It would still be okay to apply ice when he is sleeping for at least 10-15 minutes.

I think you are doing fine, just relax a little. Many of us mom's have been in this position before and we came out okay and so did our children. Give the bruising time, most people will tell you, everyone's bruising heals at it's own pace.

You are doing great, you are monitoring the site and checking for changes, you really cannot do more than that at this time. You are a good mom! If this is still a problem over 30 days from now, demand that your ped's check further. I think it will subside. this is from my nursing experience, but always seek a doctor's advice. Kiss the baby and hug yourself!

Jen. H.

I'm sure it will go down in time. My concern though is that you don't make your parents feel any worse than they probably already do. Being a grandmother myself, I know that they are probably feeling terrible that he got hurt on their watch.

My 3.5 yo has a bone bruise on his forehead from hitting the ceramic tile floor face first (YIKES, I know). It has been about four months and it is still pretty noticeable, but we were told it will fade over time (maybe a couple years?).

I really hate to write this but I'll tell you about mine. When I was in 7th grade, my family was playing "Paintball War" and my younger cousin shot me in the forehead. I had googles on but not a full face mask. It caused a nasty bruise and lump. The bruise pasted but the lump in still there to this very day, which by the way, I'm now 29 years old. The good thing is that your son is so young that hopefully he's will fade or just go away. Give it time is all I can say. I wish I had better news about the bump.

As far as future falls, I know it's hard, it was for me but everytime they fall, it gets a little easier to pick them up!
Mother of a 2 and a half year old boy. Good luck! Jess

1 / 3