21 answers

Bump on My 2 Yr Old Daughters Perineum

I sure hope someone has any insight into this. I have had her seen at the doctors 3 times for this lump/bump on her perineum (small space between the vagina and anus)and they have, i.m.o. dismissed my concerns. She complains about it every day, sometimes crying and saying ("bump...bump"), she is not constipated. She has normal bowel movements, with no strain. I do notice that it is more painful a couple of hours before she has a bowel movement. Last night she was up crying a couple of times about it. I am sick at the thought that something is wrong and no one is helping her.
Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

1 mom found this helpful

What can I do next?

Featured Answers

Don't wait any longer go seek another opinion.....I would be very concerned and would not want to take any chances....

I don't really have any good advice but I would say definitely follow up with another doc if you need to. I would think there could be a cyst or something there that could cause some pain (and could also be dealt with pretty easily). Good luck, I hope you find some answers.

More Answers

I would take her to a pediatric urogynecologist. I had a rectocele, which was exactly that...a lump between the vagina and anus. FYI, a rectocele is when the rectum kind of "falls" into the backside of the vagina (hence the bump, which is stool that can't escape properly). I got mine from childbirth. I hope your daughter is okay.

Awww, the poor thing! I certainly would not go back to that Dr. again with anything that you cannot diagnose yourself. I would guess it to be a boil...very painful. A very warm wet cloth can releive it and/or a Dr. cutting or lancing it. In the diaper area, it can happen easily. My neice copntinues to get boils in her diaper area, and the Dr says to keep her out of her diaper as much as possible to let air get to it. I would call a few pediatrians (if possible, recommended by friends) and speak with the nurse practioner about it before making the appt. If the NP sounds like she has a clue...then make an appt....OR call you OBGYN and ask the NP there....That is where I would start....with someone familiar with the area.

Good luck to you and your poor sweet daughter.


Have you considered switching doctors (or at least getting another opinion)? I love my daughter's pediatrician, Dr. Natalie Lambajain-Drummond. You might want to call her office (in Aurora at Dreyer Medical Clinic) and see if she's taking new patients. ###-###-#### Good luck!

I don't know if you want to get a second opinion but if you do our ped. is FANTASTIC. His name is Dr. Sam Schwartz and he and his brother, Dr. Dave Schwartz, have offices in Schaumburg on Roselle Road and on Main Street in Bartlett. We had a problem with our old ped. who wasn't taking the time with my daughter and missed pneumonia and bronchitis. So we took her to Dr. Sam and we've been with him ever since. We always go to the Schaumburg location and the nurses there are great as well as the office staff. The number is ###-###-####.
I hope all works out for you and they figure out what is going on with your daughter. It's so hard to watch your child hurting. Good luck.

I would take her toa GI dr or even call your obgyn and ask them. Definitely a problem do not dismiss it at all despite the pedatricain. I can go on and on aobut things my drs said were ok with my 2 year olds and guess what they were wrong and it is not fixed becaseu i kept going. Also know that now a days it takes an aver of the 3dr specialist doc to find a diagnosis. So keep going until your insticnts feel it is right.
good luck
J. in vernon hills

Don't wait any longer go seek another opinion.....I would be very concerned and would not want to take any chances....

I agree with the prev post, seeing a different doctor would be the first thing I do. A cyst or abscess sounds like a likely cause. The bartholin glands are located on either side of the vaginal opening (in the 4-5 o'clock and 7-8 o'clock position when she is lying in her back) and can become blocked and form a cyst or abscess. If it is more midline and/or closer to the anus than the vagina it is probably not a bartholins cyst, not sure what it might be. Either way it sounds like you need to find a new doctor. Good Luck.

L.-My first question is do you need a referral for another doctor because of your insurance? In my opinion any doctor that dismisses a concern is not a doctor worthy of your money or your time. Have you seen a dermatologist or plastic surgeon?? Nothing is worse than when your child is in pain or ill. I would find another doctor. The bottom line is that your daughter is in pain and that is unacceptable. I have been studying herbology and homeopathy for years and have not heard of this.

My second question is maybe your daughter is also picking up on your anxiety. I had that happen when my son was ill. I do not know where you live but I have a wonderful doctor in Evanston thru St. Francis Hospital-Dr. Ettner. He does conventional and homeopathic but has a wonderful beside manner and maybe can give you some insight.


1 / 3
Required Fields

Our records show that we already have a Mamapedia or Mamasource account created for you under the email address you entered.

Please enter your Mamapedia or Mamasource password to continue signing in.

Required Fields

, you’re almost done...

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Mamapedia with Facebook Connect, please provide the following information so you can participate in the Mamapedia community.

As a member, you’ll receive optional email newsletters and community updates sent to you from Mamapedia, and your email address will never be shared with third parties.

By clicking "Continue to Mamapedia", I agree to the Mamapedia Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.