Bugs in Litter Box

I recently switched to a corn based litter. I found little black skinny crawling bugs in the litter box all around the poop today. Are they fleas?

Thank you so much to the person who suggested they were pantry moth larvae! You hit it on the nail. I googled the images and that is exactly what I have! Now I have to figure out how to get them out of my basement!

Call the company too if they are in the bag, they will want to know if it had bugs when you bought it. They will probably pay for a new bag or refund you if it came with the bugs. We use corn litter and one box and like it.

They may be moth larvae. I would get it out of the house ASAP. In the future, freezing the litter at least overnight before use will keep this from happening.

Hi S.---Go to any hardware store or to Home Depot, etc and you can get traps. Pantry moths love grains, nuts and seeds. I have them in my birdfood. I've got the traps away from the birdseed so as not to attract them to the area I want to keep them from. The traps are located across the garage from the seed..

They did, most likely, come in with the corn litter. The natural litter was a great idea, but it sounds like an impractical one. Good luck. D.

Fleas don't crawl as much as they hop....so no they aren't fleas. My guess is it may be something that come with the littler...I have never used this type of litter but it may be a bug that is commonly found in corn. I would definitely get the litter out of the house or your entire house could be infested before you know it !!

I don't think they are fleas...fleas usually want a warm body. Yuck...I hope someone knows what they are and you can get rid of them!

it might be worms i would have your cat checked

I suggest tossing it. If you are trying to take a more natural approach w/ kitty litter I suggest cedar.

1 / 3