Bug bites.......size of Coins

Last year my son got bit by something when he was sleeping had about 8 spots on him they were all the size of a quarter, we took him to the doctor's (not his) and they told us if it made us feel better to give him some medicine. Well this years once again every time we go outside he gets bug bites and they range in sizes some are as small as a dime others are as big as quarters. They seem to be bothering him lately so I have been putting benadryl(sp)(pen kind) on them. I have also noticed that my daughter has bug bites on her legs what could I possibly do to keep them more comfy and to avoid them? I put spray on them but apparently its not working. I think they have more of a reaction to bug bites then we do, don't know if its normal or not.

Hi - I got these kind of reactions as a child also. I would suggest putting bug spray of some kind as a preventative. I use the Avon bug guard which has sunscreen and protects against all kinds of bugs. They also have just bug repellent. I also use the skin so soft oil or skin so soft lotion on myself before I go outside if I do not want to smell like bug spray. These all work well for us. The Dr had also given me a prescription cream to make the bugs stop itching and go away faster.

My 7 year old reacts like this to mosquito bites. I use Off! familycare on it him and it seems work really well. Yes, it does contain DEET. And although the use of DEET on children has been hyped up over the years as not being good for kids I did some research and found that it is safe to use on kids of all ages. I live in an area that has lots of mosquitoes and for me using the repellent was a no-brainer.

http://www.epa.gov/opp00001/factsheets/chemicals/deet.htm

I think what you see is an allergic reaction to the bite. I am a person that bugs seem to be attracted to too - I currently have one the size of a small plate! There isn't much you can do to stop it unfortunately, even with bug spray they seem to want to eat me. All I can suggest is to keep on with the bug spray and try some calamine or anti-itch spray if they get bitten. You could also use benadryl for the reaction if they are really bad. Good luck :)

All my kids get welts from mosquito bites. To relieve the bites I keep witch hazel in the fridge and pat it on with a cotton ball. We alo try to keep our grass cut, the longer the grass the worse the mosquitos it seems.
When the kids are playing outside at night they rub a unused dryer sheet on their exposed skin and then tuck the sheet into a pocket. believe it or not this has been the better than any stinky bug spray...also works for bees during little league and soccer season.

Try purchasing some "Skin So Soft" bath oil or body spray from Avon. Spray that on your little one's legs....its good for their skin, and the bugs won't come anywhere near them! It isn't toxic, and it does the job great.

In fact, National Guardsmen who go on weekend manuevers even pack it in their gear. It may make them smell like a bunch of pansies, but it sure beats scratching!

My 2 yo gets huge reactions to bug bites too. I try to keep her from itching with the Aveeno itch cream but to just keep them inside is about the only way to keep them (almost) bite fre. I am going to try the Avon skin so soft bug spray on her tomorrow. (forgot I had it until I saw your post!) It is DEET free and claims to work wonders. I have used straight skin so soft before and it worked for the bugs but did not like the greasyness of it. The bug stuff is a spray on and claims to NOT be greasy! A.

A.~
Hi! Use Lavender Essential oil. Just put it on the bug bite and it'll stop the itch and reduces it to almost nothing. (You may have to do it a few times for it to go away completely). Lavender is good to put in the bedroom because it helps induce calmness/sleep (twofold use!)
Also, how many sugary things do the kids ingest? The sweeter the child (blood) the bigger the bite...well, maybe not quite that, but truly, the bugs are attracted to sweet blood. Diet has everything to do with it. A good remedy is taking a teaspoon of lemon juice or eating part of lemon everyday...but most kids wouldn't be up for that...anyway, good luck!

I learned that stick deodorant will take the itch away almost immediately. Something about the aluminum salts, I think. It is a cheap trick to try. Also last year we tried misting Listerine, or the store brand, around the area and on skin and it seems to repel the bugs. Citronella coils have worked great for us too.
J. R.

Same here, A.. I killed a mosquito on her leg but not soon enough. She had a welt the size of a golf ball! No kidding. If I hadn't seen the darn thing with my own eyes, I might've thought it was some other freak bug or spider. In short, she's more allergic to bug bites than most (definitely more than me!). I'm guessing yours are too.

You got a lot of advise - some of which I may try, lol. Good luck.

1 / 3