BUG BITE GONE BAD? Swelling Is Huge!

My daughter came up to me complaining that her arm itched.. It looked like a mosquito bite.
There were like 5 spots that looked a mosquito bite. Through the nite she kept waking up saying they itched.
The next day we bought benydryl and Some Waldryl Spray to put on it.

Today they are huge welps.. the bite is a huge blister looking but the actual " blister " is ROCK HARD.
She was completely Lethargic Yesterday. She slept until 10:45 am and ususally gets up at 6:30 am.

The area around the one bite on her leg is swollen huge. It doesn't appear to be a spider bite or Chigger bite.
It was not a bee or wasp sting.

Any ideas what this could be? We can't get in with our PEDI until tomorrow.

Has she had this kind of reaction to mosquito bites before? Maybe she is allergic to them.

I think I would take her to a walk-in clinic just to see someone sooner than tomorrow.

Did she have a fever or complain about any pain? Or does it just itch?

I hope she feels better soon!

Might not be a bug bite at all. May be a staph infection. I woke up a few years back with what I thought was a spider bite on my forearm. Within a day or two my whole arm was red and the "bite" site was completely infected. I went to the dr and he immediately knew it was staph. Apparently they start out looking like a bug bite.

West Nile Virus has been found in Plano. I'd call the pediatrician or even take her to Acute Kids' Care tonight.

Get you daughter into the pedi or an urgent care clinic TODAY. Could be a spider bite, may be a staph infection and not a bug bite at all, could be infected bug bite - staph/cellulitis. With the lethargy, I'd absolutely NOT wait until tomorrow ...

The fact that it is hard makes me think that she has a spider bite. Your pedi wont bring you in on an emergency fit you in appointment??

The lethargy is what worries me, but then again she may be reacting to the heat, too...

I hope she feels better soon!

I don't know what it is but I know that some bites do require antibiotic. Also, my aunt was hospitalized for four days once for a spider bite on her leg that required her to have IV antibiotic. Could you take her to a one of those take care clinics like Walgreens. I don't like that your daughter is lethargic.

I would call your pedi back and see if he can get you in right away. Or go to an urgent center. The lethargy and excess sleep are worrisome.

That happened to my daughter one year when she was about 5 -- her lower leg swelled and was rock hard, and it was simply that she had gotten several mosquito bites all at once. The dr. gave her oral benedryl. A couple of nights ago (she's now 10) she got about 7 or 8 huge welts on her legs from mosquito bites and was itching like crazy. The welts were so big they looked like bee stings! The topical benedryl spray didn't help stop the itching, so I gave her 24 hour liquid benedryl -- within a half hour she stopped complaining altogether and hasn't complained of itching since. You may want to try an oral antihistamine or ask your dr. if that would be safe to try until you can get in to see her.

I would seek emergency help a "minute clinic" the ER anything. Try calling a local hospital and speaking with a nurse in oklahoma we have a hospital that has a nurse line. she may be having an AWEFUL allergic reaction or could be worse.

Since you live in a state with lots of poisonous critters, I would call your pediatrician's emergency line, poison center, or local ER right away and get their recommendation.

1 / 3