Budget - Cleveland,TX

Me and my husband are wanting to start a budget, can anymore gived me some advice
Thank you

I agree also, Dave Ramsey has an excellent budget form. Very thorough and helpful. It is work, but it works!!

I agree with the post regarding Dave Ramsey. It is easy to do the budget. Hard to stick to but you see results very quickly as far as paying things off.

daveramsey.com is the best on this topic

The Dave Ramsey Total Money Makeover. Read the book! It will change your life!

One of the best websites that I know of for budgeting and money management is www.daveramsey.com.

I know the first step I took in making a budget was I actually just wrote down what I spent money on over a month. I continued spending the way I normally do and would take my receipts and such at the end of the week and figure out how much was for gas, food, fast food, rent, bills, etc. Then at the end of the month you have a good idea of how much your spending already on things. I think a lot of people think they have a good idea, but really don't realize how much they are actually spending on non-essential items.

After I did that I went through and figured out what things I cannot change (i.e. my rent will stay the same unless I move, my cable bill will be around the same each month, etc. Gas was one area I didn't do this in and had to go back and change. You will drive roughly the same amount each month whether you try to cut back or not, so if you currently spend around 300-400 then you better keep it at that). Then I figured out where I could somewhat save money (i.e. I may be able to save SOME money by clipping coupons before going shopping. I would try to keep the budget the same as what I was currently spending minus 20-30 dollars). Then I looked at where I could drastically cut back. (for me this was fast food and stopping at gas stations to get sodas and stuff. I ended up averaging something insane like 200 dollars a month in these expenses, which is money I could've been saving). Whatever you do don't immediately cut out things cause it'll probably be hard to do if it is something your used to, just cut back. Then you follow this budget for a month, keep track of your expenses each week again in your various categories. At the end of the month, make adjustments again (so lets say you cut fast food, but this in turn upped your grocery bill, for example, then you would adjust these two categories again). Eventually, you get something you can work with.

Oh and always include random categories, like you may not have to do maintenance on your car every month, but do it every three months, so if you know it costs 50 dollars to do whatever, then budget 15-20 each month for car expenses, even if you don't spend it that month. I did the same thing with like clothes cause I don't buy clothes every month, but when I do buy clothes may spend 150, so I budgeted it out over a series of months. That way when it is time for you to spend that money, the money is there being saved for that time period.

ADDED: Oh and once you get the budget and stuff set up, you should start following Dave Ramsey's thing to pay off debt. I pretty much learned that I can save about 300 a month once I drop out credit card bills alone and closer to 600 when I add my car to that. I'm starting his snow balling thing already.

I agree with everyone who mentioned Dave Ramsey. He completely changed our lives. What I haven't seen mentioned (I didn't read all of them) is that he also has a great radio show (you can listen on his website). I love his radio show because it keeps my husband and I inspired to keep it up. We got the audio version of the Total Money Makeover. It was a better option for us because we don't have lots of time to read, but my husband has a half hour commute to and from work so he spent that time listening. He liked it so much, he listened to it twice! I would listen to it when in the car or during my children's nap time while folding laundry or something.
Wish you the best of luck :)

Hurray for you! I also give Dave Ramsey a big thumbs up. Just keep reminding yourselves that a budget is not a bad thing that is going to keep you from having any fun. You can always budget in soe fun stuff. A budget is basically a tool that will let you decide ahead of time (hopefully together) how you will spend you money each month. With a plan, it is amazing how freeing it is. For example, no guilt in going out to eat if it is in the plan. If you really want to do something that you can't afford this month, you just learn to plan ahead and save for it down the line.

1 / 3