Bubble Bath That Will Not Dry Out My Skin

We recently put a jetted tub into our bathroom and I am looking forward to taking many long baths. The problem is that I have chronic dry skin. To the point where I get a cortisone shot from my dermatologist every 6 months and I have a prescription for a cream that I put all over. Unfortunately we do not have a water softener. Hopefully sometime in the near future. But until then is there something I can put in the water so my skin does not dry out constantly? Cream, oil, salt? Thanks for your advice in advance.

You can get the oatmeal bath soaks, by Aveeno. Oatmeal is great for the skin! They are very affordable, too.

Olive oil works the best... All natural, easily absorbed into the skin and your skin is soo soft afterward. I use about a tablespoon in my bath water. If you are using it in a jetted tub, be sure to refill the tub with hot water afterwards and run 1/2 cup of bleach through the jets to clean them out. That should happen anyway to clean out any residual stuff hanging out in the jet lines. One tablespoon of oil has never hurt the jets in my tub. Baking soda works really well too. Be careful getting out of the tub, you could be slippery.

First - check with the manufacturer of the bath and see what they allow. I've been in jetted baths that prohibit using anything that will "bubble" - some bath products cause clogging issues with the jet mechanism. Those baths allowed bath salts - but not any type of shower gels that would make a tub full of bubbles.

I've been making my own bath concoction for years. It so great that I make more of it at Christmas and give away as holiday gifts. I've even now started selling it to several people now throughout the year. Two of the women use only my product on their formally dry, itchy skin, that they say they have tried everything and this is the only thing they use now.

My recipe goes pretty much like this....
I use twice as much salt as the other products....
2 C sea salts ( I buy Dead Sea Salts in bulk off of Ebay)
2 C epsom salt
1 C colloidal oatmeal
1 C powdered milk
1/2 C baking soda
1/2 C Olive Oil (or Grapeseed Oil, food grade)
For your skin I would recommend about 30 drops of Chamomile Pure Essential Oils, or any other essential oils you love the smell and benefits of. Use up in 6 months.

I mix well and store in a plastic container near the tub, then add about 1 Cup to your running water, jump in and enjoy.

maybe some epsom salts as a natural water softener and some drops of babyoil or glycerine in the water.... just guessing on what I would try.

Milk and Oatmeal are what I've always used. There are tons of these products on the market. I always like Aveeno as someone else mentioned, and I also have a Burts Bees milk soak product that makes my skin super soft afterwards.

I would also look into getting a water softener/filter. It is so worth it in the long run. We put one in our old house and it was a lifesaver. My son and I both suffer from minor excema - particularly in the winter months. I notice a major difference in our new house without one :( - it's on the short list of home improvements.

You might even consider that you need more cortisone.

Cortisone is a manmade replacement for cortisol, a hormone that comes out of our adrenal gland. If you are not producing enough, it not only affects your skin, but also other organs. Low blood sugar can happen and also eventually, after many years, cronic fatigue and pains in back , hips or knees will set in. Many eventually get addisons disease. Low blood sugar symptoms are so vauge people usually never pinpoint them to hypoglycemia until they see the list and then say, oh man, that's the symptoms I have.

So it would be wise for you to have them check your cortisol levels with a 24 hr Saliva cortisol test. NOT the blood test which can give a false negative result.. You probably need a daily cortisol replacement rather than one every 6 months. If you take a cortisol test, you cannot be on cortisone for several weeks before you take it or it can give you a false normal reading.

Hi C.! I just got a jetted tub too! My favorite bath concoction is:
1/2 box of baking soda ( each box is about 50 cents, can't beat that!)
10 drops of essential oil, such as lavender, grapefruit or whatever you like (the oil won't compromise the jets).

The baking soda makes my skin so soft. After I get out of the tub I use extra virgin coconut oil as a moisturizer. I tend to have super dry skin and the combo of the baking soda baths and the coconut oil has saved my skin.

Enjoy your tub!

1 / 3