Bruising on Child's Back

I have a 5 year old daughter, and off and on I notice she gets bruises on her back, along her spine. Of course she gets bruises elsewhere, too, she is a very active lil girl. But I've never really thought of anyone getting bruises along their spine before. Has anyone else heard of anything like this, and/or have any idea if anything other than typical childhood play could be the cause of it? I've thought about making an appt for her to see her dr, but I don't want to seem like an over-reactive parent. Your thoughts are much appreciated! Thannks!

Thanks so much for all the input, I really appreciate the ease of mind! My daughter will need to see the dr before she starts kindergarten next school year, so if the problem persists, I will have him check into it then. Until then, I will tape cotton balls to her back! HAHA :)

Sorry for the late response, but I know my kids have gotten bruises from the faucet in the tub. They both want the spot right under the faucet and when they stand up too fast or without thinking, they jam their back up against the faucet.
Just trying to help you explore the mystery a little more.

It is likely nothing, but bruising with no known cause can also signal cancer. Better safe than sorry--see the doctor! Good luck! K.

P.
I don't know if this will help you or not, but when my oldest daughter was younger (she's 7 now) she would get bruises on her back along her spine from her car seat! It was very upsetting but I just kept trying to add extra padding until we fixed the problem. Good luck! A. F.

I had the same problem with my son, figured out it was his car seat!!...Now he is in a booster car seat and no more bruising!!!...Hope this helps...............

P., I would definately recommend making an appointment with your doctor, there are many things that can lead to excessive bruising, but the most common or iron and calcium levels. So they will want to do some blood work, so be prepared. This is very common in senior citizens with poor diets, but it is not unheard of very active little ones.

Don't ever worry about being an "over-reactive" parent, they are your kids and that is your job right :)

Good Luck to you and keep me posted

R. Foster www.abetteru.2freedom.com

Does your daughter bruis easy? Does she have a slide at school or at home that she might be going down on her back? My daughter bruises easy and she gets some bruises around her spine when she goes down bumpy sides on her back because her spine sticks up a little bit. I do not think that it is any thing to worry about.

Both of my kids kept them at that age. It is from the climbing things like at school or playgrounds. They don't bend over far enough and they hit their backs over and over. They don't notice it then because they are having fun but later it hurts sometimes.

I agree with the others. It's probably nothing but a kid being a kid. My very first thought was - is someone hurting your child, but you would be able to tell if they were mild bruises from active play or from someone being abusive. If there is no reason to think someone would harm your child, just ask your doctor about them at her next appointment. You can always take a photo of them when you notice bruises, then show them to her doctor later (because it always seems to happen that when you go to the doctor, the symptoms go away!)

1 / 3