Brown Bag Lunch Ideas for 2 Year Old

Updated on April 27, 2010
S.R. asks from West Palm Beach, FL

My son recently started daycare/school and I am straining to think of ideas for his lunches. So far we've been doing a lot of PB&J, chicken nuggets and cheese sandwiches for the "main course", cut up fruit, crackers and cheese sticks for the snack. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thank you!

• Add your own comment
  • Ask your own question
  • Join the Mamapedia community
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

J.R.

answers from Tampa on

I pack my Son's lunch (he is also 2 years old) every day (except for Friday's because his school offers hot lunches on Friday's). Here are some of the websites I checked out to get me inspired to make him a healthy and fun lunch every single day:

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/YourKids/lunchbox-solutions/P...

http://www.parents.com/kids/nutrition/lunch/healthy-schoo...

http://www.wholesometoddlerfood.com/

Good Luck and Have Fun making his lunches! I actually like the fact that I get to make my Son's lunches every day. This way, I know exactly what he is eating for lunch every day! :)

Smallavatar-fefd015f3e6a23a79637b7ec8e9ddaa6

C.S.

answers from Columbus on

If you go to a health food store like Whole Foods they have all sorts of healthy kid snacks perfect for a packed lunch.

S.C.

answers from Tampa on

Yogurt or yogurt drinks, apple sauce, bagels with vegi cream cheese or peanut butter, butter noodles in a hot thurmous (sp), slices of ham or turkey rapped in cheese (just eliminates the bread and changes things up a bit), burritos (I make them with refried beans, shredded cheese, a bit of sour cream and add some tomatoes for a vegi and them put them in the fridge and he eats them cold at lunch), cottage cheese, granola bars, even dry cereal.

C.S.

answers from Las Vegas on

I pack my daughters lunch everyday. I use wheat tortilla's and make turkey cheese wraps, sandwiches, croissant sandwiches (a fav!), cheese sticks, babybel cheese, crackers, gold fish, bananas, strawberries, blueberries, applesauce, meetballs, chicken chunks, carrot sticks (2?), rice cakes with favorite spread...

As for the sandwiches, I change it up. Sometimes I melt the cheese on the tortilla wrap and sometimes I put a dab of ranch dressing or mayo. That way there is a different surprise all the time.

C.T.

answers from Atlanta on

Graham crackers w/ PB and honey, made into sandwich. Trail mix, with small pieces of fruit and nuts, cereal, granola, raisins, cherries, blueberries, etc. Wheat crackers, or wheat thins. Oatmeal or instant cream of wheat can be made easily with a microwave and water. Leftovers are great, anything can be saved and heated for lunch. All fresh fruits, cheeses, veggie sticks with different dips (I have a recipe for avocado chocolate dip that is awesome). Leftover rice and/or noodles, any pasta dinner, kids love spaghetti. If you have rice add some cheese to the top. My daughter loves tomato. I make her a salad with tomato, avocado, cranberries, crushed walnuts and sprinkle with cheese. If the daycare will warm up food, and the food is also refrigerated beforehand then the possibilities are endless. Anything your son will eat for breakfast and dinner would work. Any leftover or anything he likes.

S.L.

answers from Boca Raton on

My son likes the little lunchables, with cheese, crackers & meat. They are very reasonably priced as well as stay cold enough in the lunch box. We also freeze go-gurts and by lunch time they are defrosted enough to eat.

T.J.

answers from Fort Walton Beach on

http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook/Toddlers-93092

It says "Toddlers", but really for kids in general.

Please don't forget to feed your son:
beans and rice (excellent protein, carbs and fiber)
hummus (healthy fats)
avocado (healthy fats)

R.T.

answers from Orlando on

Roll turkey or ham around a cheese stick, buy thick slices of ham and cut it in cubes, make wraps with torillas (pbj, pb+banana, ham+cheese, etc), lunch meat or pbj in a pita, leftovers in a tupperware if they will heat them or if he will eat them cold, applesauce and graham crackers to dip, honey and apple slices to dip

R.W.

answers from Tampa on

Honestly, I would find another day care where they fix hot meals for them. They are around.

R.C.

answers from Tampa on

my baby girl she is 3 years old and she gives me hard time eating. i always try to feed her healthy food because she is so picky and she doesn't like to eat ,all what she loves to eat is bread.i suggest these mini croissants with jam inside.she also like pita bread so i try to cut it and spread some cream cheese on it.you may also give him these small yoplait fruit yougurt.
good luck.

L.H.

answers from Miami on

I go for 'healthy' convenient foods- I avoid nitrates in meats (no lunchables) and things like that-
so for sandwhiches pb & j (some daycares don't allow pb, so there's sunbutter instead) and also cheese sandwiches- I cut 'block cheese' into cubes, add a bit of cream cheese and microwave in a little bowl for 25 seconds to melt it- then it's easy to spead and that's how I make cheese sandwiches- then I cut into little pieces

health is wealth brand, frozen, makes spinach munchees- you get a main meal AND a veggie
amy's brand frozen snack squares- I get bean & cheese

for fruit I cut up fresh fruit
for veggies I use frozen organic- I cook/defrost in the microwave

I use (and REuse!) gladware little containers for everything
and I also use a laptop lunch http://www.laptoplunches.com/

personally I try and stay away from too many 'snacks' - if I give crackers, then I give cheese and that's the 'main' thing and then there is always a fruit and a veggie