Bronchitis Treatment

My 4 year old was absolutely fine untill Friday evening. It rained Friday night and he just got a few sprinkles on his head. House AC was quite cool that day. When we woke up , he was coughing and sneezing. By Saturday evening, he had fever. He just sounds hoarse. But does not have any runny nose. We went to see the doctor on Monday only to find out he has mild Bronchitis. He also gave an ANtibiotic which tastes awful. My little one threw up right after gulping it. Flavoring it did not work either.

Will he get better without the antibiotic or should I wait and call the doctor again only if the fever does not go down by Tuesday for some other Antibiotic ?
Do you all have any kid sick with Bronchitis who had to take antibiotics? If yes, what was it called and how palatable was it?
I am amazed how anyone can get bronchitis within just 3 days of congestion and fever.

The Antibiotic name is Clarithromycin. It is white in color. I called today and the nurse says it is the best to for chest bugs. She asked me try again today the same one with Hershey Syrup.

Hi A., you will need to keep him on the antibiotic to get rid of the bronchitis. My sister gets bronchitis at the drop of a hat, at least once a year and with only one day of feeling like she has cold symptoms. The antibiotic that she has always taken that has cleared it up is amoxicillin (but I'm not sure how this tastes in the liquid form). Hope this info helps!

I would call the doctor immediately. Bronchitis will get worse if not treated and will not clear up on it's own. I always ask for oral medicine when the doctor wants to give a shot and avoid shots for my kids whenever possible. However, if your son can't take the medicine he may need to get a shot to clear up the bronchitis.

You didn't say what antibiotic your son is taking, but I see another poster suggested amoxicillan. That is the pink bubble gum kinda flavored stuff that most kids will easily take. It's not at all a strong antibiotic, but it may work.

My baby had bronchitis when she was 5 months old and was hospitalized. She was wheezing and coughing. The cough sounded like she was barking. She was given antibiotics but only because her white blood count was to high, which insisted that she had some type of infection. She never ran fever with it and I really can't recall the name of the antibiotic, but I think it was arythromycin. The antibiotic that your child was prescribed is in the same prescription family as the one prescribed to my daughter, but it seems like they should have checked his blood count before prescribing an antibiotic. We also had to do numerous breathing treatments which really helped. Her doctor prescribed zyrtec later on which has really helped with all of the colds she used to get and we haven't had a cold since she was hospitalized. I hope he starts feeling better soon.

Hi A., My son had a mild case of it when he was less than 6 months old. I had to use a nebulizer to get the medicine into his lungs. Another thing you can do is heavy steam in the shower with some tea tree oil. You can pick it up at the health food store. I work for a company that makes natural treatments. I have also found a homeopathic medicine at www.kingbio.com. I use it for everything. There is a spray there for lungs and bronchial releif and it is great. No smell or taste and you spray it on the tongue. It is great for all ages from newborn to adult. I hope this helps. You can email me at ____@____.com if you have any questions.

I hope to hear from you soon.
Sincerely,
K. Sansbury
http://mywhy.healthyhometour.com

My daughter also gets bronchitis all the time too . . . good luck

Hi A., I am sorry to hear about the little one being sick. I have a seven yr old girl who gets this all the time. We took the same medicine and she done the same thing but kept trying it until she kept it down which was a couple of days later. It is a really good medicine. I would give her a snack to hold in one hand and have her favorite drink ready and I would give the medicine to her and she would drink right after and start chewing on her snack. That way it would help the awful taste go away. She gagged and threw up the first couple of times and so I tried this and it worked. She got this stuff all the time and later was allergy tested and now we take shots and that helps alot. Hope he gets better and I hope this helps.

1 / 3