Bringing Kids to Baby Showers

Maybe I'm just a total gripe but does it bother anyone else when people bring their kids to a baby shower that you are hosting? Maybe no one else even does this except people that I know but anytime there's a shower, all the moms bring their daughters. (all ages from babies to teens) I think it's totally rude and NEVEr bring my children to showers because I think they are meant for adults unless it says otherwise on the invitation!
What bothers my MOST about it is that the kids are allowed to help themselves to any of the food AND take it anywhere in the house to eat! I don't allow MY OWN kids to eat anywhere but the kitchen table! I've had so much punch spilled on my carpet by kids at showers! ARG!
Do ya'll think it's okay to bring kids without them being specifically invited?

It's interesting to see how 1/2 of ya'll would just EXPECT the kids to be invitede and the other 1/2 wouldn't bring them without them being specifically invited! I wonder if it makes a difference on how old you are... I didnt go look at everyone's profiles so I have no idea about this, just wondering if it's a difference in generations.
MY opinion of course is that the person/people who's name(s) are on the invitation is who's invited and wouldn't just assume that I should bring my kids. I LOVE children so it has nothing to do with that but I do think it's nice sometimes to be able to sit and relax and visit with other moms without having to worry about my kids.
I am about to have my 5th baby so my house is FAR from perfect and it's VERY kids friendly BUT I still don't think people should allow their children to wander around with food and drink at someone else's house no matter what!
Thank you all SO much for your replies!

Since when do we have to put on an invitation that kids are not invited. If I get an invitation addressed soley to me, than only I am invited, not me and my daughter. When I want to invite kids, I would list them on the invitation. I hate when people assume they can bring who ever they want to an event. But I also agree with the others, that if you only want them to eat in the kitchen, than before food is served you make an announcement that all kids must eat and drink in the kitchen.

Kids in my opinion shouldn't be invited. A baby shower is to celebrate the mom-to-be, and a good friend of mine actually was in tears because her shower had so many kids, it took the focus off of her special day. I hope my baby shower is not like this. I have friends with babies and thats fine with me. But toddlers and kids, no way.

Isn't the whole concept about a "baby shower" to celebrate children?

With that said, my answer is that YES children should be allowed to attend showers.

But should children be on their best manners? Yes, and a big AMEN for those who raise their children with manners and etiquette.

No - it isn't okay. A shower is for adults (who have been invited) to relax, have fun, enjoy themselves, and make the guest of honor feel special. It would be like bringing kids to a GNO - not cool, unless they're invited.

The best thing to do is to get a babysitter or have your partner watch your kids. If both of those options don't work out, then one would need to send the gift but skip the shower.

Well, I don't think it is customary to bring kids (but honestly, I don't think there's a problem, personally, with teen girls coming).

I DO find it the hostess's responsibility to be clear in what is expected. Also, I do think that this should basically revolve around the expectant mother's preferences, if she has any. Written on the invites, clearly. Politely reminding that those with children will need a sitter... OR (sometimes I do for parties that will have many guests that have children) hire a babysitter or two for the children that DO come- have them set up in a separate room with a movie or something.

Baby showers are usually for women only. Sometimes I've seen girl children invited... and others ALL are invited- male and female. I say just be clear and if kids aren't invited say that specifically.

I've never been to a baby shower with lots of kids like that! There have been times that a mom might bring her baby, but it's because that baby is nursing and too little to be away from the mom for very long & if the mom lives very far away, it's the only option for her to come. No one cares about that. It's normal for here. But if it's a toddler or older, I imagine most moms would ask the host if it's okay if they bring their child. I know I would ask! That does seem a bit bizarre. That would bother me a lot to have kids walking around my house eating.

NO I do not think it is OK to bring kids to showers, and it irks me too when people do this, however, I am very stern when it comes to kids taking food anywhere in my house, or helping themselves. I always tell them that they can have food when it is time to eat, and I will tell them when it is time to eat, and I say that I do not allow kids with drinks outside of the kitchen. I know it is hard to do, and on occasion I have let it go, and I am usually disappointed with myself for it afterward. I have even found chocolate smeared up my staircase on the walls when kids are over during showers. I never take my kids with me either, besides, it is good to get away for a little bit.

When my very good friend threw me my baby shower I let her know that I didn't want to bring my kids and therefore didn't want anyone else's there either. She put something on the invitation like "L. is so excited to have some time with her mom friends!" and left it at that. Then, if I talked to anyone I let them know that I wasn't bringing my boys. No one brought kids.
I don't know if it's rude to bring kids or not. I just know that I preferred them not to be there. We women so rarely get time without our children that I really wanted it! The only time I think kids should go to showers is when they are nursing kids. Other than that...nope. Let the ladies have some time to themselves!

1 / 3