Bridal Shower Games..... Fun or Not?

It seems like we always play games at bridal showers. I've been to maybe one where we just ate and talked and watched the gift-opening. I liked that one best. And in talking with others, it seems like nobody I know really enjoys playing the games. Maybe we all just put up with it.

Is it a regional thing or does everybody play games? Do you like to play games or would you rather just eat and talk?

I'm not hosting one in the near future. Just interested in everybody's thoughts. And at least this one is way less controversial that some of late!

I personally am not a fan of bridal/baby shower games.

When I have hosted (& when showers were given for me), we've played the Timer Game. When the bride (mom-to-be) is opening her gifts, a kitchen timer is set. The door prize winner is the giver of the gift being open when the timer goes off.

It seems to depend on the guest list. If there are guests who may not know many people, or anyone, playing a game makes them feel more comfortable b/c talking to strangers is hard for a lot of us. However, if it is a group of people who know each other well, then you can skip it. If it is a group of young people and adult beverages will be served, skip it. I bet you can find some fun games on line, so it's not just the same-old-same-old.

I have always loved them and find when they aren't done it's kinda a lame thing - more like "give me gifts" instead of "come celebrate with me"

I like the games to at showers but only if it is one or two. We played a bridal bingo at one shower and while the bride was opening her gifts you marked off the squares on your card, if she got a wok, towels ect. that was fun.

The last baby shower I went to we played games for almost an hour. Such a waste of time. It's like we're little kids that need to be entertained. Personally I hate them.

I find them dumb & a waste of time, i'd rahter eat drink & socialize...

I think it depends on the games. I've done some which are downright stupid and I wished we could leave, and I've been to some which were a blast. I think the ones I like the best were the ones that got us talking to each other at the beginning of the party. I always feel awkward at the beginning of a party anyways. Like guess which romantic couple you are. Or the bingo where you have to find the grooms mother or someone who has a needle and thread in their purse. Those kind of games get me out of my corner and talking to people. Plus I don't feel any pressure to finish them. If I want to sit and talk to someone I can, if I want an excuse to start a conversation I can.

no games at my shower, but the bachelorette party..... that was a riot! it's all about how diverse the audience/participants would be.

I think they'd be fun after enough wine. Like the toilet paper dress game? I could totally enjoy that with enough gewurtraiminer beforehand.

Otherwise, yep, party games usually suck. Especially the annoying "how well do you know every particular about their romance?" games. I sometimes feel like saying "Don't make me have to jump through these stupid hoops just so I can give you a gift and say I'm happy you're getting married."

ps-- yep, very non-controversial. Though it could end up becoming so!:)

I don't really like game either, we never really had them when we got married 34 years ago and when our son got married 8 years ago. I am hosting a baby shower in July for a friend and trying to figure out the same thing, have games or not!

1 / 3