Breech Baby at 34 Weeks

Hello ladies,
I will be 34 weeks pregnant on Friday. I just found out that the baby is breech. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the baby to go head down or have any experiences they would like to share. This is baby #2 and I don't want a c-section.

My doctor tried to move my daughter out of her breech position around 34 weeks, but she wouldn't move &/or was stuck. We scheduled a C-section at 37 weeks in case she didn't move on her own by then, which she didn't. This wasn't a big deal & was considered much safer for the baby at the time. When she was delivered by C-section, she had hip dysplasia from being breech for so many months. They put a brace on her hips immediately and they were fine 6 months later. She's an avid soccer player now. Since my first C-section, have had 2 other babies delivered normally (they called it VBACK then). Don't worry!

I had a version after finding out my daughter was breech at 37 weeks. Unfortunately after spending half a day at the hospital it didn't work. I tried many of the suggestions that the other moms have offered but at the time my water broke she was still breech and we did a c-section. It was frustrating to me that nothing worked but if I had to do it again I would still try the version.

Hi A.

My first child was breech and they sent me for a version- in other wrods the pushed on my stomach and moved the baby into heads down position- but they didn't do this until i was 37 weeks sicne it can casue you to go into labor and i guess it's actaully not very sucueesful but luckily it was in my case...

before they did that they told me to do flips under water in a pool and that will sometimes get the baby to flip

best of luck to you

My second baby was also breech at 34 weeks, but she turned on her own by 37 weeks. Like you, I was nervous about needing a version and/or a c-section, but don't stress about that yet. My doctor explained to me that second babies often stay breech closer to delivery because your uterus has already been stretched out once, so baby has more room to float around. Same reason second babies don't always "drop" as soon as first babies. I hope your baby turns for you without you having to do any of the crazy acrobatic suggestions I've seen online or needing a version. Best of luck for a safe delivery, however it goes.

I would highly recommend the Webster Technique -- it's very gentle and doesn't involve moving the baby at all. It just makes sure that your spine and pelvis are properly aligned to permit the baby to move into the optimal position for birth, and has a very very high success rate. Dr. Friedman at Friedman Chiropractic in Acton is where I send most of my clients and students with breech babies (I'm a doula and teach Birthing From Within classes). He's wonderful and his website http://friedmanchiropractic.com/index.html has some good information on this technique. You can also try cat/cow stretches at home -- my third baby was transverse for a long time, and ten minutes doing these stretches convinced him to wiggle into position.

My 2nd was breech and went back and forth up to the last day. Hopefully your baby has room to move and will stay head down once he/she gets there. Look into all the natural ways before trying a version. It can be risky and painful. Hypnosis has a very high success rate, look it up online and you should find a lot of info. If you're into meditation then you can try it at home. Best of luck to you and your new little one!

See the website "spinningbabies.com"

I've heard from many sources (including my midwife and Dr.) that acupuncture can be very effective. Also going to a chiropractor helps since being in alignment assures that the baby has room to move. Also work on your posture. My first baby was breech so I went to Lisa Geiger for my 2nd pregnancy and by week 34 my baby was head down so I didn't need the acupuncture. Dr.Geiger has 9 years post graduate school of pregnancy and pediatric work. My back was better pregnant with her than I was normally not being pregnant! Now is the time to due something before the baby gets to big. Good luck!
Lisa Geiger
126 Harvard Street
Brookline MA 02446

My first baby was breech. They tried the version, but she only moved about halfway down and then popped back up again. I tried the Moxa candle too, but didn't have enough time to do the full two weeks it apparently needs to be effective. If it happens again, i would probably go to an acupuncturist and try more than just the Moxa candle. My OB has done a lot of research on Chinese medicine, and he said the rate of breech deliveries in China is super low. I ended up having a c section and it was easy. No complications.

My midwife suggested:

-playing music through headphones to the underside of my belly.

-crouching on my knees and elbows (the idea is to help the baby up out of your pelvis, giving it the opportunity to turn).

-acupuncture (a specific type which involves burning something or other by your feet, according to the web...which I did not try).

-cephalic version (the sooner done the better).

I think these things are worth a try (dunno about the acupuncture). In the end none of these things worked, and I was happy to have my baby in my arms in the end, no matter how she came into the world.

1 / 3