Breech Baby at 34 Weeks

Hello ladies,
I will be 34 weeks pregnant on Friday. I just found out that the baby is breech. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the baby to go head down or have any experiences they would like to share. This is baby #2 and I don't want a c-section.

My doctor tried to move my daughter out of her breech position around 34 weeks, but she wouldn't move &/or was stuck. We scheduled a C-section at 37 weeks in case she didn't move on her own by then, which she didn't. This wasn't a big deal & was considered much safer for the baby at the time. When she was delivered by C-section, she had hip dysplasia from being breech for so many months. They put a brace on her hips immediately and they were fine 6 months later. She's an avid soccer player now. Since my first C-section, have had 2 other babies delivered normally (they called it VBACK then). Don't worry!

I had a version after finding out my daughter was breech at 37 weeks. Unfortunately after spending half a day at the hospital it didn't work. I tried many of the suggestions that the other moms have offered but at the time my water broke she was still breech and we did a c-section. It was frustrating to me that nothing worked but if I had to do it again I would still try the version.

Hi A.

My first child was breech and they sent me for a version- in other wrods the pushed on my stomach and moved the baby into heads down position- but they didn't do this until i was 37 weeks sicne it can casue you to go into labor and i guess it's actaully not very sucueesful but luckily it was in my case...

before they did that they told me to do flips under water in a pool and that will sometimes get the baby to flip

best of luck to you

My second baby was also breech at 34 weeks, but she turned on her own by 37 weeks. Like you, I was nervous about needing a version and/or a c-section, but don't stress about that yet. My doctor explained to me that second babies often stay breech closer to delivery because your uterus has already been stretched out once, so baby has more room to float around. Same reason second babies don't always "drop" as soon as first babies. I hope your baby turns for you without you having to do any of the crazy acrobatic suggestions I've seen online or needing a version. Best of luck for a safe delivery, however it goes.

I would highly recommend the Webster Technique -- it's very gentle and doesn't involve moving the baby at all. It just makes sure that your spine and pelvis are properly aligned to permit the baby to move into the optimal position for birth, and has a very very high success rate. Dr. Friedman at Friedman Chiropractic in Acton is where I send most of my clients and students with breech babies (I'm a doula and teach Birthing From Within classes). He's wonderful and his website http://friedmanchiropractic.com/index.html has some good information on this technique. You can also try cat/cow stretches at home -- my third baby was transverse for a long time, and ten minutes doing these stretches convinced him to wiggle into position.

My 2nd was breech and went back and forth up to the last day. Hopefully your baby has room to move and will stay head down once he/she gets there. Look into all the natural ways before trying a version. It can be risky and painful. Hypnosis has a very high success rate, look it up online and you should find a lot of info. If you're into meditation then you can try it at home. Best of luck to you and your new little one!

See the website "spinningbabies.com"

I've heard from many sources (including my midwife and Dr.) that acupuncture can be very effective. Also going to a chiropractor helps since being in alignment assures that the baby has room to move. Also work on your posture. My first baby was breech so I went to Lisa Geiger for my 2nd pregnancy and by week 34 my baby was head down so I didn't need the acupuncture. Dr.Geiger has 9 years post graduate school of pregnancy and pediatric work. My back was better pregnant with her than I was normally not being pregnant! Now is the time to due something before the baby gets to big. Good luck!
Lisa Geiger
126 Harvard Street
Brookline MA 02446

My first baby was breech. They tried the version, but she only moved about halfway down and then popped back up again. I tried the Moxa candle too, but didn't have enough time to do the full two weeks it apparently needs to be effective. If it happens again, i would probably go to an acupuncturist and try more than just the Moxa candle. My OB has done a lot of research on Chinese medicine, and he said the rate of breech deliveries in China is super low. I ended up having a c section and it was easy. No complications.

My midwife suggested:

-playing music through headphones to the underside of my belly.

-crouching on my knees and elbows (the idea is to help the baby up out of your pelvis, giving it the opportunity to turn).

-acupuncture (a specific type which involves burning something or other by your feet, according to the web...which I did not try).

-cephalic version (the sooner done the better).

I think these things are worth a try (dunno about the acupuncture). In the end none of these things worked, and I was happy to have my baby in my arms in the end, no matter how she came into the world.

My baby was breech until the week before she was due (then she came a week later), so there is more than enough time.

As someone mentioned swimming is a great way. Here is a link to 17 ways to turn the baby. Good luck!

http://pregnancychildbirth.suite101.com/article.cfm/turni...

I read that with accupunture you can get the baby to turn... you might want to look into that! Its natural and virtually pain free. Good luck.

Two of my three pregnancies were breech. My first son remained breech even after a version (50% success rate) and i ended up with a c-section. My second child, daughter, was breech until 34-35 weeks and then turned on her own. I ended up with a regular delivery and all went well.

You can try the version but it is uncomfortable. Depending on your doctor, some do it very close to delivery (week or two before and administer medication; mine opted for three weeks prior and no medication (my preference)). I do not recommend taking anyone (hubby) with you if he is squeemish LOL. They really rotate the heck out of your belly LOL.

Whatever you end up with, just remember, healthy is all that matters no matter how they get here. My c-section was a very easy recovery. I was on my feet the same day. Did not feel any worse than the two regular deliveries I had.

Actually, (bluntly put) it is a little easier to go to the bathroom with stitches above the bikini line vs. below!

My son was in the correct position the day before I delivered and he flipped but my labor and delivery was so fast there wasn't time to do anything and I delivered him breech I was pushing as I got into the er and his already there but I know people that found out weeks before delivery and their doctors gave them exercises to do to help turn the baby and my aunt had her third turned by the doctor.

My two cents, as someone whose baby was breech, and as someone who tried EVERYTHING (and I really mean everything) anyone threw at me to turn him is this:

If I had it to do over again, and my baby were frank breech (or even maybe some other kind of breech), and especially if he didn't turn after many repeated non-physical attempts to convince him to turn, I'd find someone to deliver him/her that way.

As it turned out with us, there were structural abnormalities with my uterus/placenta that prevented him from turning and all the stuff I did to try to get him to turn just caused both of us unnecessary distress. I listened to everyone, tried everything, kept my hopes up, and ended up with a c-section for all my trouble.

I pray that your baby just turns for you (with moxa or flashlight games or webster technique, or something other than an external version) and that you have a wonderful birth!

My third baby was breech and my midwives gave me homeopathic Pulsatilla 30c (strength). 1 pill 3 times a day for 3 days. This worked great and I had my daughter at home. Homeopathy is safe during pregnancy and does not interfere with other medications you may be on. Worth a try. You can get the pills at Whole Foods or any other natural store.

My first pregnancy, my daughter was breeched. She had been stuck in the same position for several months. I tried everything. I tried a chiropractor who used the Webster method, I tried using a little flash light, music, yoga, laying w/ my bottom elevated, but nothing worked. I knew I had the option to try the external version, but after learning about it and seeing the faces cringe from the nurses and midwives plus knowing that the success rate was not that great and all the risks involved, I decided against it.

I ended up having a scheduled c-section. For me, it worked out great. It wasn't ideal, but what delivery is?? To me... it was more important that I get my baby delivered the safest possible way. I was truly thankful that the c-section was an option and that there was a safe way to have my daughter delivered.

I am now pregnant w/ baby #2 and I am pretty sure this little one is in position. Now I have to decide if I want to try a VBAC or have another c-section. The decisions are never easy.

I am sure you'll make the right choice. Good luck w/ your decisions and I pray for a safe delivery for your little one.

Hi
Acupuncture and Webster technique done by a Chiropractor are two ways I know

My first daughter was breach and like you I didn't want a c-section however I also felt there was a reason she was in that position and I didn't want to interfere with what was happening naturally.

The c-section in my opinion at was less risk than trying to alter the situation. As it turned out she was 9lbs. 1oz and arrived in perfect health and safely. She's now on her way to college!

With my second child I had him vbac(epidural)and after he was born I felt lucky to have experienced another way of giving birth...there are pluses and minis to both. Do what's in the babies best interest and what comes naturally to avoid taking any chances.

With my third child I was 9cm when I got to the hospital so she was al'natural! All 9lbs. 4oz...I was done after her..lol:)! By this point I had experienced all ways to give birth.

It was by far the most enjoyable part of my life...so cherish every moment and GOOD LUCK!
-K.

My daughter, 1st baby, was breech. At 37 weeks, my doctor did a version (external cephalic version). Everything was fine and I delivered vaginally. I was in NYC at the time, with a group of young female doctors, who were very progressive. I know some doctors won't do this procedure, but I had it done, with a spinal, and the baby flipped with no problems or complications. The doctors advised me to have the spinal because it is otherwise quite painful, and has a much lower success rate. They also won't do the procedure before 37 weeks, just in case there is a problem... Then they can just do a c-section. None of the exercises worked for me, and I didn't try the other homeopathic remedies. Good luck!

Hi A.. I personally didn't have this happen, but my girlfriend who is actually delivering baby #4 today had it happen her last two pregnancies and she got them flipped at the Dr's. I think it's a called a version (not positive though). She went in at 36 weeks and they were able to rotate both babies with no complications. She was in for about half a day each b/c they needed to monitor her for an hour first and then at least another hour after. I guess a lot of factors come into play on whether or not they can do it. ie amount of fluid you have, positioning, etc. But she tried all the "home remedies" that the Dr had suggested prior and nothing worked. She has recommended this to anyone who has a breech baby. Said it was not a bad experience at all and she would much rather this than a c-section!

I had the same problem with my son. Unfortunately I had to have the c-section. No matter what I probably would have anyways though. I tried playing music at the bottom of my belly, special excercises, different positions, and all sorts of stuff. I did not try chiropractor. My insurance wouldn't cover it and I couldn't afford it. The doctor wanted to do the external version at 36 weeks. She said I was a good candidate for it having already had two children. However, I was concerned about something going wrong and having to have an emergency c-section and a early baby and a much more traumatic birth experience. Turned out I was right not to go that way. I did have the c-section and my son had the cord wrapped around his neck twice. As soon as the doctor got in there she said it was a good thing we didn't do the version. So my advice is if you cannot get the baby to turn after using all the other suggestions DO NOT to the external version. I hated having the c-section, but I had a much better experience than it would have been if we had chosen that route and we had an emergency c-section instead. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

My daughter was breech too for a time, but I can't remember how many weeks I was at the time - it was about 4 years ago. I did research on the internet on different things to do. I know that I played music and put earphones on my stomach - but very, very low. The music is supposed to attract the baby to bring it's head to where they hear it. Once the baby gets in the down position this far a long, it can't turn back up. It worked for me. At my next appointment, she had turned and I had a normal delivery. Hope this helps.

Jen

I was also breech at 34 weeks and tried to do everything I read about to move the baby. Has your doctor mentioned having a version (external cephalic version)? They tried that on me, basically the doctors try to move the baby by pressing on your stomach. It's a bit painful and unfortunately didn't work for me. I also tried acupuncture, which supposedly works for many people. Unfortunately neither worked for me and I had to go ahead with the c-section, but I know of people where these things did work. They also say certain stretches and swimming can work, but I didn't look into that all that much. Good luck! I was disappointed when I found out my baby was breech and did not want to have a c-section at all. I still wish it worked out otherwise but the important thing is everything turned out okay, and that is all that matters! I wish you the best!

First, I wouldn't worry about breech at 34 weeks. My baby was transverse (sideways) until her 36th week and then turned overnight.

Second, I wouldn't recommend versions as your first course of action. As others have commented, it can cause early onset of labor, and it's a very uncomfortable (sometimes stressful) experience for both Mommy and baby.

What I would recommend is swimming, diving, stretching - basically elongating and moving your body to provide plenty of room for your baby to move around. I used different positions shown on spinningbabies.com, and actually could feel when my baby had moved when I was in certain positions.

Try working with your body first, before putting any pressure on the baby. Hopefully, this will all work out!

Hi A.

best of luck to you

I found out my son was breech at 38 weeks. He was sitting like an Indian. They ended up turning him, but they had the c-section all set up if it failed. I ended up delivering him the next day naturally. I wish you the best of luck.

I would suggest going to spinningbabies.com and using there advice and once baby turns avoid sitting back that includes not using recliners and avoiding long car rides. Again visit their site there is very helpful information.

Best of luck

I have heard of chiropractors who do this all often. There is something called the Webster Technique that they learn in special seminars, my husband attended on last year. Go to ICPA4KIDS.org and there should be a search engine you can check out!
E.:-)

What I learned I know from the International Cesariean Awareness Network (www.ican-online.org). They have a whole page about breech presentation and what you can do about it at http://www.ican-online.org/pregnancy/breech

Here's what I remember:

go to spinningbabies.com
find a chiropractor trained in the Webster technique
Acupuncture.
get an external version
Change to an OB/midwife comfortable with delivering breech

Dear A.,

i have two children, both were breech end of pregnancy week 37. Both turned and were born naturally (one homebirth, one birth at the hospital, but without a doctor). What i did with both kids was the following diving exercise, which may have contributed to them turning or even may have caused the turn:

- I found a swimming pool that was nearly 4 meters deep (at the end with the diving boards)
- i swam myself warm and relaxed.
- Then, starting by swimming at the surface, I dived head first to the pool's bottom (had to adjust pressure in ears once or twice during that),
- then squatted there for a few moments, sometimes "wriggled my pelvis like a bee", and
- then forcefully pushed myself head first to the surface, streched out long, with arms above the head.
- I did this 12-15 times (with my second child it took 2 diving sessions: one after which the baby seemed to be "sideways", according to midwife and my own impression. And a second ater which she seemed turned, which a midwife, and two days later an ultrasond confirmed).

My impression was that these diving exercises had the effect of "mobilising" my baby by helping it get its bum out of my pelvis.

Maybe the diving exercise and the turns of both my children in week 37/38 are unrelated. But nevertheless, there may be a causal link. In any event i enjoyed "getting active" about the breech very much, it gave me a sense of self-responsibility.

With the second child i had tried moxa first, but unsuccessfully.

Anyway, don't lose hope. Week 34 is still early, and don't believe if anyone tells you that your baby won't turn. I was told with both kids they wouldn't turn. But they did.

Also, i have a number of friends who did natural breech births (some have done "normal" as well, and are able to compare both experiences). According to them, and to my midwife, if you have an experienced doctor supporting you it is fine (try Beth Hardiman, Cambridge). Some say it was easier than their second "normal birth" in some ways. I guess the important message is to have a flexible mindset about babies, births and all...

Good luck!!