Breastfeeding Question - Red Rock,TX

Hi Ladies,
I'm breastfeeding my 2nd child....didn't do so well with my first baby....couldn't take the pain. So with my 2nd I told myself that I was gonna tough it out and just do it....so I'm still doing it....she just turned 2 months today and I was wondering if anyone out there that has breastfeed or still is breastfeeding their baby had any pain in the breast. I know that sore nipples come with it but I'm having some pain in my breasts where it hurts to hug my 3 year old. Should I call my doctor and see what she says or is this normal and I just need to bare with it?? Any advice on this would be great!!!

Thank you,

I agree with those who have said to see a lactation consultant, and just wanted to suggest that you contact the hospital where you gave birth...I know at the hospital where all 3 of my children were born (in San Antonio), they had lactation consultants on staff who were part of the whole labor and delivery service. I was able to consult with them several times after my 3rd daughter, who had latching/sucking issues, was born, and it was all at no charge. Best of luck to you!

There is a place in the Rice Village called A Woman's work. Here is a link to their website. They can help you.

http://www.awomanswork.com/aboutUs.php

The store's phone number ###-###-####

although there are situations where occasionally it is painful, breastfeeding shouldn't be painful if the baby is latching on correctly. trust me when i say that i had SOOOOO many problems. i saw a lactation consultant, cheryl h at special addition who i totally loved, and she helped me figure our my issues. i would definitely see a lactation consultant before calling the dr. email if you want more info.

Tenderness in your breast at 2 months doesn't sound right. I'm not even sure correcting the latch should make a difference because an incorrect latch should cause nipple pain not breast tenderness. I think it couldn't hurt to talk to a lactation consultant but I would also talk to a Dr just to be on the safe side. Also, I suggest sticking with breastfeeding even if you do have pain for awhile because it is SUCH a special relationship and the pain WILL pass, I promise!

the others sound right. A yeast infection is sooo painful and also very common in hot weather. Make sure to treat you and baby. also I know I have to eat yogurt daily to keep the yeast from coming back. I drink 1 of those dan-active drinks and it really helps

You shouldn't have any pain. Have your tried a lactation nurse? It sounds like the baby isn't latching on correctly and you will need to adjust the latch.

Pain with a hug might mean infection -- call your doctor and have her check you out.

Keep up the work. It took me a while to figure out breastfeeding and after a big struggle I did it for 9 months!!!

With my second child, I also had a yeast infection, as some of the ladies have mentioned. It causes serious nipple pain and shooting pain in the breast. Everyone kept telling me to make sure I latched her on correctly. Sometimes this IS the cause of nipple pain, but since I had successfully breastfed my first for about 15 months, I didn't think that was my problem. I didn't know that a yeast infection could cause so much pain! Yes, breastfeeding is not supposed to hurt and you shouldn't have to just "bear with it", but it's not always a latch problem, either. Look to see if your baby has any white patches in her mouth, which would indicate yeast infection. I totally agree that you should contact a lactation consultant, who can help you determine whether it's a latch or yeast problem. I called one and she had me diagnosed over the phone in five minutes!! If it is a yeast infection, you will need meds for the baby and cream for your nipples (you can use Lotrimin AF from the drugstore, and just wipe it off before the baby nurses). Good luck to you!

Breast Shields: Babies R us carry them, your lactating consultant can show you how to use them.

If your skin is hot to touch and you feel lumpy you may have a blocked duct or mastisis. If its just sensitivity, keep nursing and make sure you are doing it long enough that you are emptying the breast. It's ok to just nurse one side a sitting, just switch to the other side the next time. That way the breast is really drained of both fore and hind (the good fatty brain developing) milk.
Two months in nipple soreness should start to decrease, try air drying (and sunshine if you have a private way of doing this) and make sure that your own perspiration isn't causing part of the problem.
Try different postitions for the baby as she nurses. Maybe a football hold or sitting up if you've been lying down (or vs versa) She might be able to reach a duct with her sucking that has been clogged. Talk about relief!
It's true that sensitivity can increase with nursing, it may just be this...Good Luck!

1 / 3