Breastfeeding Babe Refuses Bottle

I have been breastfeeding my baby exclusivly since she was 2 weeks old. Now that she is 4 months old I would like to seperate from her for longer than 1 hour. I have tried many bottles with many different nipples. She refuses to take it, no matter who gives her the bottle. I have now tried a cup. She takes a few sips and then doesn't want it. I know she knows how to drink from it. She just doesn't want to. What do I do? Mommy needs a break! I forgot to mention that it is breastmilk in the bottle!

Thank you all for the great advice. My daughter still refuses the bottle so I have given up on trying to make her take it. But She does like the soft-spout sippy cup by NUBY. She won't drink milk from it. She only likes her milk from the tap but she will drink water. Thats a start!!!!

It is sometimes hard to introduce a bottle to a breastfeed baby. One thing you may have to do is to let her cry till she is hungry enough to take the bottle. Have you tried the milk cold? That was the only way my daughter would take it. Have you tried the Avent bottle? I hope some of this help's.

Have you tried the bottle that a company called One Step Ahead makes. It is a bottle that looks and feels like a breast. You can visit their website and look at one and see if you have tried anything like it. I recommended it to another friend and it worked.

Hi C.! I had the same problem with my baby ( now 15 mos) Have you tried putting the breast milk in the cup? She may take it that way. My son never took the bottle. He went straight from my breast to a cup. I tried every type of nipple/ bottle I could find. He refused it. I was unable to pump but I did give him water in his cups ( at first) he was fine with that and I was able to get away! So I would suggest trying your milk in the cup, water and juice. My son still will not drink milk. The only milk he ever drank was breastmilk. Oh and you might want to try formula in the cups. She may take it then. Good Luck!

My daughter was 5 months when I went back to work and she refused a bottle too nor would she take the pumped milk in a cup. I started her on water in a sippy cup and used the pumped milk in cereal. I started her on the cereal a little early (I think 6 months is the recommended age)and she did great. Of course she still nursed like she was starved!

C.,
Im a midwife and lactation educator in Richmond.

I can tell you that she associates mama with breastfeeding. If you want to be able to be away from her for a little longer, try her with whom ever her care provider will be with the bottle or cup. You will have to not be in the room at all, or she will likely not accept the breast substitute. Try leaving her in the care of her sitter/other parent, and go to another room of the house, say to work or whatever, and see how she reacts to taking the breast substitute from the care provider. She may balk at it the first couple of times. Try it when you know she will be hungry, so that she is willing to put forth the effort to get the food into her belly.

At 4 months nipple confusion is unlikely, but I suppose still a possibility, so be aware that this situation could occur. Also... Stopping nursing exclusively may interfere with your milk supply and your fertility. If you havnt gotten your cycles back, skipping nursings will likely cause them to start up again. Be sure you are emptying your breasts often, try not to go longer than 6 hours without nursing, as it could cause you to drop your supply and/or get a breast infection. Your body will tell you when you MUST get that milk out, listen to it.

Are you involved with La Lache League? They are a wonderful organization for helping and supporting breastfeeding moms and there are morning and evening groups around Richmond and Williamsburg.

This seems like it might be a silly fix, but is the breastmilk warm enough? I had to have a medical procedure done, so I was pumping, and I found that my little one made faces like the milk was yucky if it wasn't warm enough. And sometimes towards the end of the bottle I would warm it again, just a little.

Good luck!~

My second son refused the bottle if he knew I was around. My husband was able to get him to take it a couple times though if I was completely out of the house. Maybe try running to the store and ask DH to give her the bottle while you are gone. Also, someone else suggested the Nuby sippies. Those worked wonders for us also. They have a very soft supple spout that he would take no problems.

I have a question. Is this the first time you have tried giving your baby a bottle? Usually they say you should introduce the bottle around 4-6 weeks because they get used to eating by the breast and don't want to take a bottle. I have been breastfeeding exclusively as well and I use playtex drop ins with the brown colored nipples and my daughter likes them just fine. You may just have to keep trying for a little while and hope she will eventually take it. I have had the same problem with the pacifier but I am still not able to get her to take it. I wish you luck!

My five month old baby girl won't take a bottle as well. She only just started accepting a pacifier a couple of weeks ago (Gerber Nuk). Once that happened I figured she might be more open to a bottle so I tried one with the same type nipple. Surprisingly it sort of worked and now she will take about an ounce. Obviously that is not really enough if I'm to be gone for more than an hour at a time. So we started her on cereal and stage one prunes (the iron in the cereal constipates her). It has been a great way to bridge the gap for us. Good luck. I feel your frustration!

1 / 3