Breastfeeding and Low Estrogen

Has anyone else had low estrogen while breastfeeding? I have been miserable for over two weeks now with vaginal soreness and dryness. My doctor thinks the low estrogen is the culprit and suggested an estrogen cream. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if the cream is the only option. Thanks in advance for any advise.

I suffered from this after my second, it was aweful. I actually was in so much pain I had to get pelvic physical threapy. That's a rather embarrassing situation but, it really helped. Basically you do kegls and have electro therapy in an office with someone coaching you.
I didn't use estrogen cream because I was having irregular paps at the time and didn't want to mess with anything.
I did start useing astroglide and it seemed to help but, it took some time.
The only posotive thing I can say is this to shall pass.
Good Luck.

I used the estrogen cream - it's simple to use, it did help and I didn't notice any side effects.

I would steer away from estrogen creams - we are learning so much (often too late) about the use of hormones in women, and in breastfeeding women, the risk is even more. I have had great results with Reliv supplement - I use the basic nutrition and have seen a tremendous improvement in vaginal dryness, and the products are completely safe for nursing and pregnant moms, even infants/children. There is also a women's product called SoySentials which is fantastic for PMS, painful periods, menopausal symptoms, breast health, and more - I have several friends who have done that. You could start with the basics (boosting your immune system and helping with other things in the bargain) and then go to SoySentials if necessary. I'd be happy to talk to you more or have you talk to my friends.

First, I would recommend a raw food diet for at least 30 days, loaded with green veggies like kale, broccoli, raw (uncooked) nuts such as pecans, beans and whole grains, fruit smoothies with just fruit and natural juices, organic only if you can, with possibly a protein supplement not to exceed one gram per 1/3 of you body weight per day. (For example, if you weigh 160 pounds you will have 50grams of protein a day) Unless you are working out, then elevate that to 160 grams of protein. This will regulate your hormone levels. Avoid meat entirely if you can, and if you absolutely cannot, then have only meat that is organic-grain fed as it will have less of an impact on your hormone levels as antibiotic and steroid pumped chicken and beef. Avoid shampoos and soaps that are not all natural and may contain parabens that affect your hormones and avoid dry cleaning. You will immediately feel a regulation in your hormone levels and the acidity in your vagina will be gone within a week, bringing the membrane back without any soreness at all. The only cream you should use is a wild yam cream but if you are sticking to the diet you won't need it at all, except for the first two or three days until your body regulates itself. Also, don't drink coffee, just green tea and don't drink any soda, especially diet soda which contains ingredients that wreak havoc on your hormone system. Wine (a little, red from Argentina) is fine, but avoid any other beverage besides water.

Good Luck.

During breastfeeding, your hormones will fluctuate differently than when not lactating. Estrogen levels are high during pregnancy and then low after birthing anbd through the first several months of breastfeeding. Estrogen cream may not be your only option. I wouldnt completely rule it out though. Many mothers use the cream within the first few months after vaginally birthing if they are not healing. I myself did use it for a couple weeks for a tear that I did not have stitched. Personally, it did not aid in the healing process. It also did NOT hinder my breastfeeding.

I would suggest filling the cream (if your insurance will pay- mine did not because of my age at the time) - but wait to see if this works... Try an herb called Shatavari. Shatavari is amazing! I used this herb to increase milk supply when I induced lactation for an adopted babe. It's benefits are fantastic! So much, that I continue to take it after lactation. It increases vaginal lubrication which fixes dryness and sharp pains at the scarring area from vaginal birthing years ago. I love Shatavari! Go ahead and google it- do your research and see if this is something that would work for you. The benefit is increased lactation too! If you decide to go with the estrogen cream, you may be able to get a safer biodentical cream.

Hope this helps you!

do you take any good oils? Evening primrose, flax fish and borage oils are all crucial for overall health, especially when nursing. They have omega 3 and 6 fatty acids (the fish and flax have DHA for healthy brain development in babies too!) they are also important for hormone regulation, skin (and cellular) elasticity and vibrancy, eczema, IBS, painful periods, among MANY other things. You can get them at any health food store, in capsule or liquid form, combined or taken separately. Whole Foods tends to have the most reputable brands and the staff can give you additional info. Creams will just mask the problem. I am a health counselor and always reccomended omega 3 and 6 fatty acids to women, give them a shot.

I didn't have the low estrogen that I was aware of but I did have lots of vaginal dryness during pregnancy & during my first 6mts of breastfeeding. I used an herbal supplement specifically for vaginal dryness. It works. It was a liquid supplement. I recommend looking into herbal supplements might be just as effective & safer.
(If I find the bottle I'll write back with the name. I sent some to my Mom when she was getting radiation as that dries up the body too. She used it and found it incredibly helpful.)

hi J.,
yes, this is not uncommon, my obgyn said. I too had to use the Estrogen cream while nursing for a while. It really help.
use it, you'll be glad you did.
good luck & congrats on Breastfeeding!

1 / 3