Breastfeeding and Blister?

My 2 1/2 week-old son is solely breastfeeding. He is doing wonderful (my third attempt and best yet) and gained over a pound in just a week and a half! I was thrilled. However, he has developed something like a blister on his top lip in the middle. Has anyone had this happen to their breastfeeding infant? If so, do you have ideas on how I can correct the problem? I hate to change things too much since he's doing so well but I hate for him to have this blister. It doesn't seem to bother him. And I thought we had gotten rid of it right before his 2-week check-up so I never mentioned it to the pediatrician. I would appreciate any tips! Thank you in advance!!

Wow! Thanks so much for all of the helpful responses! Obviously it appears as though this is normal. I appreciate all of the input and encouragement. I love the convenience and information this website provides!

I never thought about it before but my kids did have it and I never asked anyone about it. It went away eventually. I may have put some vaseline on it when it bothered me. They are so cute at this age. My kids are older than 11 now. Boy I feel old.

It is very normal for a breastfeeding baby to have a blister on their lip. Both my boys developed them at different times while being breastfed. Keep up the good work on raising healthy happy children!

My babe did, too. It sounds completely normal. I think it means he's doing a good job with breastfeeding! Worry not. It should go away on its own. :)

It's just a nursing blister. His skin on his mouth is suddenly being used and abused, just like if you suddenly started raking leaves a few times a day for 2 weeks in a row. :) It will come and go for a few weeks and then should just stop happening. You might even see the top layer of skin come loose and "flap" there, fall off, and be replaced by more blister. As far as I could ever tell, it didn't bother either of my kids. I wouldn't worry about it. It's totally normal. :)

TOTALLY normal:) If he'd gaining and your nipples don't hurt or anything, don't even worry about it. Just always make sure his lips are flared out. It goes away eventually.

My daughter's lip did that for the first 6 weeks or so. I honestly think it was because she ate so much. It would just peel off-- I think it happened three times total. Congrats on your good eater, that makes life much easier. :)

It is actually a nursing blister. Not a big deal. It will eventually fall off. I used to put a little chapstick or Lansinoh ointment on my boys when they got them. It never seemed to bother my boys and my pediatrician told me not to worry.

Congradulations on your newest blessing.

L., mom of 4 boys - 10, 8, 3 and 2

The "blister" is totally normal and you don't need to do anything different. Definitely do NOT pick at it.

This is totally normal. It will fall off after a little bit, then another one will form, fall off, etc. This happened for the first several weeks, then it went away.

My daughter had the same thing as a newborn who was only breastfed and the pediatrician said it's totally normal and doesn't hurt them at all. It will eventually go away on it's own. Doesn't hurt to have them check it on the next appointment but it's probably nothing to worry about.

1 / 3