Breastfeeding and Birth Control

I am looking for a birth control method that is safe while breastfeeding. I am coming up to my six week appointment and I would like to get on some sort of birth control method that is safe for my newborn and my milk supply and that will be effective.

The method I used when I was breastfeeding my newborn was the Mirena IUD. It was safe and effective and I didn't have to worry about remembering to take it:) I hope this helps you...have a great day.

There's a progesterone only pill that's safe while breastfeeding. Big thing, tho, is to make sure you change your pills when you stop breastfeeding because without the extra hormones your body produces while BF, the pill won't protect you and you need to go back to the reg. pills to prevent getting another surprise! Good luck!

For many reasons I would not mess with hormones but especially not while you are nursing. After each of my kids were born I had an IUD inserted. The really nice thing about an IUD is t hat it is really easy (and virtually painless) for the doctor to put it in and depening on which on you get you can leave it in for between 5 and 10 years. But ify ou decide you want to have another baby i nthat time it is very easy (and again basically painless) to take it out and your body is ready to concieve. The only downside that I have found in all my years of having them is that for the first 6 months or so there is slightly more cramping and bleeding with each period. But for some reason it subsides after that. Good luck in what ever method you choose. M

Since you are about to go to your 5-week appt., you can ask your doctor or practioner which birth control method is best for you. They stay up-to-date on these things.

There is birth control pills that are safe when breastfeeding. IF you don't want to take the pill there is also and iud. Good Luck!

Barrier Method (Condom, Cap, Diaphram) combined with spermicide.

You can try the minipill, but quite frankly, your body is still adjusting to post pregnancy. It can take 12 to 18 months for your body to adapt after having a baby. I think throwing more hormones in the mix is a bit dodgy, but that is my opinion.

If you do choose to use one of the low dose (minis) hormone pills; use a back up, such as a barrier or spermicide or both...as the minis are not completely reliable even with strict adherence to the method.

Ultimately, talk to your OB...but, remember, you get to live with the method ;)

Congrats on the new baby.

there is a birth control pill that i was given while nursing, that was safe. However the downside, it made my hair fall out in CLUMPS.....not worth it, I ended up with an IUC, called Mirena. MUCH nicer.

There is a low dose birth control available to breastfeeding moms. The downfall is that you must take it at the exact same time everyday (I think there is a 2-3hour variable) for it to be effective. I tried this one, but it didn't work out so well for me. I got my period back right away, which lead to a decrease in milk supply, and it was just too hard for me to take it at the exact same time (sleep deprivation and booby brain lead to forgetfulness :) ) So, now I have the Mirena...so far so good.

My husband and I chose to use condoms. Even the low dose birth control that is okay to take while breast feeding says it can decrease milk supply. Good Luck.

1 / 3