Breastfeeding - Saint Paul, MN

I'm a mom to be and and plan on breastfeeding. I am looking for advice and any tips that can help make things easier on me and baby. In the beginning i have heard its painful what can i do to help? Thanks

Thank you so much for all the great advice! our little one came on march 10th!! Breastfeeding is going well i think it is the best thing. yes i was sore/tender but it is worth it and i think once u get the hang of it its a lot easier than dealing with bottles and formula. thanks again!

Blooma is great for pregnant moms and moms and babies. It is off 44th and France in Edina in Mpls. If that is too far, call Sara at Blooma and she may know someone in St Paul.

C.-
Good for you for planning on breastfeeding your new little baby when it arrives. I breast fed both my children, but had to stop with my daughter due to some medical issues. My advice is this--if you can breast feed (both you and baby) wonderful. It is a little rough at first, but you both will get the hang of it--just be patient, relax, and know that it is natural! Additionally, the more you nurse in the first days after your baby is born, the greater your milk supply will be. And if you can't breast feed, or don't want to, or have issues and want to switch to formula, then go for it, and don't let ANYONE make you feel bad about your decision, whether it is to breast feed or formula feed. I had so many people say things to me about having to formula feed my daughter--they were simply insensitive and arrogant, and assumed that it was my laziness or intolerance of breastfeeding that caused her to have formula. You do what is right for you and your baby, and everything else will fall into place. Good luck and congrats on your new little one!

1. Don't quit breastfeeding on your worst day. Chances are, the next day will go better and you'll stick with it.

2. If you are having pain or difficulty, seek help ASAP! A little soreness is typical as you get used to having a small person sucking on you, but cracked and bleeding nipples that won't heal or pain that makes your toes curl isn't.

3. Remember that there are two people learning something new here - neither one of you has done this before and there will be an adjustment period. Give yourself at least those first six weeks to get the hang of it. The first few weeks are usually the toughest.

4. Have your breastfeeding supplies (nursing pads, lanolin, breast pump, nursing pillow, etc) ready before the little one arrives. No need to buy a year's worth of stuff, but you also don't want to find out that you could really use a tube of Lanolin at 3:00 am on a Sunday.

5. Keep in mind that not all moms will have the same kind of breastfeeding experiences/problems, so take all of our advice with a grain of salt. :)

Best wishes for an easy labor and delivery and good luck!

Gosh, you've gotten so much great advice that I can't really add much to it, except to say it's a wonderful thing you are choosing and be persistent, but also recognize that it doesn't always work for everyone and you need to do whatever is best for you and your baby. One of the best pieces of advice I ever received is that every experience can be different even with the same mom, but different babies. I breastfed my first one until he was 11 weeks and finally had a nurse tell me to give up because of a multitude of problems we were both having and had been having the whole time. He also pretty much quit taking the breast despite my best efforts. He was also born a month prematurely, which can have an effect on breastfeeding. The nurse told me to try again though with the next baby, which I did. I breastfed the second baby for 14 months and he never had any formula or even a bottle. It wasn't without its issues, but it was one of the best experiences of my life and I still miss it even though the "baby" is now 8! This may just be a coincidence, but my older son suffered from ear infections and allergies and my younger son (the completely breastfed one) did not. Congratulations on the new baby and I hope the breastfeeding works well for you. It is well worth any discomfort and in the greater scheme of things it is such a short time period in your life.

C.,

Cabbage leaves are great for breasts that are sore and swollen from overproducing milk. Just take out of the fridge and stick them on when you are at home.

There is an udder cream (used to be available only at a farm supply place, but now they sell it for breastfeeding mothers at the store.) It works well for chapped, cracked and bleeding nipples.

The best advice I can give you is to keep trying. The first month could be really hard, but it will get better. I had a horrible time the first month with my first baby. Neither of us could figure out what we were doing. Then we caught on and I have almost a total of 4 years of nursing babies (1 yr per baby) and love the experience.

There are lactation consultants at the hospital and in the community that can be very helpful as well.

Congrats on your baby,

I have been breastfeeding my first child now for almost 8 weeks and things have been going well. I can suggest to you to have a pair of nipple shields on hand (you can buy them at Target) in the event that you get sore. They were a lifesaver to me for about a week and then after healing up, I was able to return to normal feedings. Good luck to you!

I have heard if you rub your breasts hard with a wash cloth when you are in the shower it will toughen up your nipples for breast feeding. That way it won't be so painful. Sorry I have no other advice. I tried to breast feed, but I had too low of a milk supply and it only lasted about 2 weeks. Because of that I would gear yourself up for the fact that it just might not work for you. Good Luck and congrats!

The pain is short lived and well worth the discomfort. Your breasts will toughen up quickly as it's nature's way. You have several responses with great advice.
Make sure you are in a comfortable chair or couch and you can put a pillow under your baby to help raise the child to the breast, too. The nurses at the hospital will also help with tips and you will be a pro in no time. Congratulations, relax and enjoy the beauty of feeding you gorgeous new one.

As a new breastfeeding mom, here would be my words of recently learned wisdom. I had two cases of mastitis EXTREMELY painful and sick - actually lost a piece of my nipple from cracking, blistering and bleeding so badly (sorry if that is TMI) and still would never choose to do anything but breastfeed. I'm not the worlds' biggest breastfeeding advocate or anything. I just think support and information are critical to success.
1. Use your lactation nurses. Both in the hospital and afterwards - call them for anything. They are the nicest, most supportive and knowledgeable people! 2. Go to bed with a glass of water each night. You'll be amazed at how thirsty you get while feeding. Drink a lot of water in general 3. Get the jelly healing pads from your at home visit nurse or clinic pharmacy. It is kind of like moleskin if you've ever used that on a blister. It can take a while for your nipples to basically callous and this is a huge relief in between feedings. The lanolin doesn't have any healing properties to it, whereas these jelly pads do. The pharmacy/nurse sold are far better than the johnson & johnson sold at say target. If I had known about these from the start my cracking/bleeding wouldn't have gotten so out of hand. 4. If ever it is too hard and you are thinking about quitting - give it one more day. Every time I got to that next day it went great and once you get on track it really is easy and such a joy. 5. Find out where there is a local le leche league meeting in advance. If you do have troubles and want to talk it through it's a great security blanket to feel like you'd know where to go. 6. If you aren't comfortable with going to a meeting by yourself make a breastfeeding friend - this website is great for that. I never thought I'd want to talk about breastfeeding and yet - here I am. Feel free to e-mail if you ever want to talk. 7. Don't be too idealistic. Lactation nurses can help you through a lot, but if there are reasons that you have to supplement or switch to formula you are still a successful parent because you are doing what is best for a healthy baby.

1 / 3