Breastfed to Enfamil Next Step or Cow's Milk?

My son is 10 months old and I have been breastfeeding him since birth, and continue to do so at least until he is 1yr old. After that, we'll see. If all goes well, I may continue to bf him a bit longer. If I do wean him at 12-15 months, should I give him cow's whole milk or should I start him on Enfamil Next Step which is for toddlers 9-24months. Any thoughts?
Thank you!

Milk is okay after 12 months. I had to put a little grape juice in it to get my daughter to drink it, at first. Congrats on breastfeeding so long!

My Ped said I could do either one, but he felt that there was no need to spend the money on the Next Step when Whole cow's milk and well rounded meals would satisfy all nutritional needs.

There's no reason to buy expensive formula once they turn 1. For that matter, there's no real reason to give cow's milk once they wean, either. The US Dairy Association has done a great job of advertising and lobbying in this country. In most parts of the world, people do not drink milk once they are weaned, or they drink goat's milk. It's healthier and more readily accessible than cow's milk. The US is the only country that puts a big emphasize on drinking cow's milk... and yet we're way down on the list when it comes to 'healthy' countries. Go figure.

Anyways... offer cow's milk once you wean but don't freak if he doesn't like it -- many breastfed babies don't. All the nutrients you find in cow's milk are found in other, healthier, foods.

Isn't it funny that the formula industry decided that they hadn't duped enough women out of money for 12 months and that they needed to add formula for toddlers? I'm sure you can guess what my opinion is...go for milk. There is absolutely no reason to use any version of formula for a breastfed baby and you can start milk at 12 months.
PM me for info on extended nursing. There's no reason to force-wean. Breastmilk is as beneficial at 2 years as it is at 2 months:) The WHO and UNICEF both recommend AT LEAST 2 years!

cows milk at a year unless your pediatrician suggests otherwise.

Hi! Whole milk is best until 2 y.o. After that switch to lowfat or skim. Don't waste your money on overrated and unnecessary toddler formulas! :)
I have a 23.5 month old, we still bf and it has worked out great. i had no idea we'd bf this long!
Best of luck to you.

Usually you can go to cow's milk as long as your son is a good eater, gaining weight etc. I wold ask your doctor if you are not sure. The toddler formula is really for children who do not get a healthy diet, do not get enough nutrition, and are not gaining weight as they should.

I nursed our daughters until they were 14 and 16 months old. I introduced whole cow's milk in a sippie cup after they turned a year old. Made the transition from breast milk to whole milk gradual and easy, and even a little fun for them with a cute little cup. Now that organic milk is readily available, I'd use it. That's all we buy now, it's much better and totally worth the extra cost. Congrats on breastfeeding! Very, very good for you!!

Congrats on BFing for this long! I would not waste your money on Next Step, plus all of that added iron....

I would go to organic whole milk (no added harmful hormones). When I switched my daughter I would start out in a bottle mix breast milk with regular milk...my daughter didn't have any issues switching over, but I still didn't want to quit one thing cold turkey and then start something new. You could alsways try at 1yr and see if he will take it without mixing.

1 / 3