Breastfed Baby Hasnt Pooped in 11 Days Different Opinions from Providers.

Hello Mommy Scholars
My 2 month old is on day 11 of not having a BM.She's smiling, laughing, eating, and peeing regularly. I took her to the doctor Friday and the doctor suggested 1oz of white grape juice daily until she goes. if she hasn't gone by Monday he suggested that I add 1 oz of infant prune juice to the equation.
I contacted my hospitals lactation consultant because after the first oz of grape juice she began acting up. Her tummy was bothering her and all she could do was pass gas. So I called Miss C the trusted nursing nurse. She said that it is completely normal for the exclusive breastfed baby to go through a phase of not pooping for an extended period of time. This is due to the baby using everything being given in the milk and the only byproduct of human milk is water so she'll only have wet diapers for a little while. She said don't interfere with her bowels unless she starts showing signs that she's in pain not eating etc...
So, I'm interested in getting other mothers feedback. I feel like lactation consultatnts and the breastfeeding community as a whole tends to be a bit more holistic (and so am I) than others so their opinons always lean towards the natural approach. But, what about the rest of you guys? thoughts? experiences?

Thanks

I dont know whats normal, but my lil 2m old boy poos almost after every feeding. He is also EBF. He poos about 6 times a day.

Totally normal and nothing to worry about. If she's like my son she's waiting until you're running late AND she has a brand new/really cute outfit on and then she'll have a MAJOR blow out...

i know my breastfed babies went through periods of pooping 13 times a day, and periods of not pooping for 13 days! if it were me, i would NOT give juice to a 2 month old unless she were showing signs of problems(cyring inconsolably, pulling her knees up to tummy, refusing to nurse). now, a formula fed baby is a VERY different equation, but it is totally normal for a breastfed baby to poop all the time or very rarely. i'd watch more for a happy baby and sufficient wet diapers and aviod the juice unless absolutely necessary :) good luck!

My son went up to 10 days with no BM when he was exclusively breastfed. If your baby isn't "straining," uncomfortable, etc, then she probably isn't constipated. The juice is for constipation...if she isn't constipated, it's useless and just takes up room in her belly where breastmilk should be. I would give it a couple of days, as long as she is happy. If she is constipated, then she would likely show signs (straining like she is trying really hard to poo, pulling her legs up, tiny dry poos or a very little, very liquid poo, constant gas, etc) and you might want to consider the juice, etc, in that case.
I remember being very nervous when mine went 10 days, but everything was just fine!

My son went somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 weeks between poops when he was that age. When we would get toward the end of that time we would be afraid to leave the house because of the blowout that would always happen. My friends baby would go a month! Our LC told us that length between poops is not constipation--the hardness of the stool is. I never worried at all about it and he's a healthy 4 year old now...enjoy the clean diapers!

11 days seems excessive. My children go through periods where they may go every third day (exclusively breastfed) but never more than a week. I would want the pediatrician to at least ultrasound baby's belly to ensure there are no obstructions, but I suppose if you're getting wet diapers and the baby's color and disposition seem OK, then there's not too much of a problem. I feel bad for that baby when things do get moving again.

I would go with the nursing nurse's answer, especially since the grape juice was causing stomach upset or gas and before that she was happy and fine. Keep nursing and she is probably just using every bit of the milk solids to grow. I would let nature take its course.

It's one thing to talk to someone over the phone. But I think if she doesn't poop soon that you should take her to be examined. If you have a really good ped, he or she can tell by touch if there is something to be worried about.

I would feel a whole lot better about it, if I were you, having a real examination.

Best to you,

this happened to me as well with my son when he was the same age. and i was so worried but hid doctor told me that sometimes with breastfed babies they absorb EVERYTHING that the milk is providing so that dont have bm's for a while. as long as they long as they are urinating they should be aright.

1 / 3