Breastfed 3-Month Old Not Pooping (3 Days Now)

My 3-month old has been doing great since he was born, eating, gaining weight and having 5-6 wet and 3-4 dirty diapers per day if not more. All of a sudden, just shy of 12 weeks his poop changed color (darker) and now he hasn't gone for 3 days. I have read in several places that there is a shift in a breastfed baby's pooping pattern often at 6-8 weeks. He was a month early so I guess this is on target. He is eating normally, isn't straining, is passing normal gas and peeing the normal amount so I guess he is doing alright. I am just concerned that it all changed so fast. Anyone else experience this drastic shift. I am so used to having him poop in the middle of breastfeeding. We are traveling away from home and are in a different time zone, but he started doing this the day before we left so I don't think this has had a major effect on this change. However, I would appreciate any thoughts or other experiences with this type of change.

First of all, thank you so much to everyone who took the time to share their experience and provide some advice and reassurance about my request. I did much of what was suggested: rectal stimulation, inserting a thermometer, and an infant glycerin suppository (after 6 days). Unfortunately, none of these really worked (although he did poop a tiny, tiny amount just BEFORE I put in the suppository!). Finally, after 7 1/2 days, I gave him a bottle of 1 oz. prune juice and 2 ozs. water. Twenty minutes later, the poop strike ended. He had a fairly good sized poop, although not nearly what I expected from the amount of time he hadn't gone. We had a poop party to celebrate. We waited another day to give him a little bit more of the prune juice. About 12 hours later he pooped again. So...I am expecting some more tonight and am really hoping he is on a once a day schedule. The important thing is that he is going, it looks normal (based on what this new poop is supposed to look like) and he is very happy and healthy otherwise. So far, this is the only issue that has come up while traveling internationaly for the first time with a 3-month old. Not too bad. After a 30 hour journey door to door, it took him just one day to adjust to a 15 hour time and 25 degree heat difference. What a champ!

My baby is 11 months now but I remember being concerned about her not pooping for a few days when her poop was changing types into more normal consistancy. I can't remember how many days it was. I would call the Dr. though especially if it is any more than 3 days because I have heard of a baby having blocked bowels and the baby had a really hard time and it did long term damage to the baby and the parents did not know it was so serious at the time.
Try rubbing his anus with a warm washcloth. I have tried this when she is constipated and sometimes it gets things going.

35 year old 2nd time mom

I too have a newborn, now 4 months old and his stools have changed colors about two weeks ago, they are a dark green as opposed to a yellowish before. I asked the dr, and they said that breast fed babies stools do change in the first couple months. If your son seems to be gasy and not even farting be sure to give him some Mylicon Gas Drops, these save us!! No worries about his color of stoools, just hang in there!! :)

I hope your baby is doing better ... that happened with my little girl (she's 19 months now) ... and she was in pain so I diluted some baby prune juice and that helped losen her up. She was much better after that.

Give her a bottle with breastmilk and some Karo Syrup. Should work after two bottles. My twins did the same. It is no big deal. . .not harmful to them or anything. It will come out eventually.

At this same age, both my boys did this. With our first son, I freaked & took him to the ped who told me it's a common occurrence. With our second, son, he happened to have an appt about the time this was going on so I didn't have to make an extra trip. Sure enough, the same advice from our ped....it's common at this age for changes in their pooping schedule. Call your advice nurse & see what they have to say. I think w/in the 4th day or so, both my boys finally pooped. It was a normal one & there was no straining or pain involved for them. Hope this helps & good luck!

Congrats on your new baby boy. It sounds like he's doing fine. I was concerned about the same thing, but my pediatrician assured me that breastfed babies ususally don't develop constipation. We also saw another pediatrician in the practice a couple times and he would remind me that "breastfed babies can go for a week without a bowel movement." It's true. My son's record was 10 days! I was freaking out but he was fine. Breastmilk just doesn't have a lot of solid waste to be eliminated from the baby's GI system.

Yes, it's normal! As long as he has wet diapers and his behavior seems normal, don't worry.

Your post made me remember my own kids and I had a good laugh. My older daughter went through this shift very subtly - her poops changed very gradually over a week or two. So when my second daughter went through this all in one day, and I realized she had not pooped in 3 days, I called the pediatrician in a panic. The on-call doctor called me back and the first thing out of his mouth was, "Is this your first child?" When I told him no, he said, "Then why are you calling?? You know every baby goes through this!" LOL. Anyhow, yes, it's normal, don't worry! =)

Hi K., I have two children that I nursed and my first son was born a month early as well. He is now 4 and my daughter just turned 1 in March. Anyhow, the same thing happened with my daughter only she would sometimes go 5-6 days with no poop. My pediatrician advised me that they actually go from their bowl movements being a natural reflex to something they actually have to think about and do on there own. It sound like your little one going thru that now.
Anyhow I hope that brings some comfort to you until you can get to your pediatrician. One other thing I remember her telling me was that if you do see him straining or seems to be in pain than take them in and they might have to take a suppository to help out but not to let him go more than the 6 days without pooing.
Good luck and congratulations on your new baby.

N.

35 year old 2nd time mom

1 / 3