Breast Pump Advice

I am due to have a baby soon and would like to try breastfeeding and I am looking for a good pump. There are so many out there I have had a hard time deciding which one to get. I don't mind spending money for a good one, but I was just wondering if any of you had any recomendations for a pump you loved or ones I should stay away from. I didn't really like the one I used with my other babies. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for your imput and advice. It has been extremely helpful and I have learned things I didn't know before. I think I may wait to purchase a pump until after the baby comes, but before I have to go back to work. I want to see if breastfeeding will even work for me. Thanks again!

Definitely get a Medela. If you're a working mom they have some styles that are stored in a bag which is amazing because it's not obvious you're carrying a pump and it stays really organized. They have other models too which are great... you can spend between $150 to $300

My best suggestion is to rent a Medela pump from a medical supply. They will even deliver it to you for free. You will get the best machine which will make pumping easier and faster and you won't have the expense.

I rented with my first daughter and bought a wonderful Medela with my second one but really you don't need to buy one.

Best wishes on you impending arrival,

I used the Medela Pump in Style with my first three and liked it. However, when in the hospital with my last one, I got to try the new Medela Freestyle and loved it. I loved it so much that I have have ordered one to replace the Pump in Style that I already have. It is a bit pricey, but very worth it, in my opinion.

Hi, S.--
Exactly which pump to use depends a lot on what your lifestyle is like.
If you are a stay-at-home mom who just wants an occasional dinner out, you can get by with hand expressing or using a small hand pump. A single electric or battery-operated pump is useful if you are not pumping more than about once a week. If you will be away from Baby for full-time employment after a maternity leave, you need a double electric pump that offers 40 to 60 cycles per minute. Pumps in this category include Whisper Wear (hands-free pumping), Medela Pump in Style, Medela Double Ease and Ameda Purely Yours. If you are completely pumping for a baby who is premature or ill, you need a hospital-grade rental pump, such as a Medela Lactina, Medela Symphony Ameda Elite or Ameda Lact-E, and Nurture III or Double Up.
Many moms new to breastfeeding assume a pump is a required piece of equipmnt, but it's often not. . . you already have all the gear you need. ;) I notice you are in Sandy--I highly recommend you contact your local La Leche League Leader and ask her this question, and then keep LLL's number handy while you are settling in with your new baby. She will send you informational handouts if you'd like, and you can attend a meeting if you'd like in-person help. All LLL services are free and the Leaders are accredited to know their stuff about nursing according to the most current research--I have three boys and they've saved my life quite a few times! One Leader in the Sandy area is Jessica; her number is ###-###-####. You can find others under "resources" and "find local LLL" at www.llli.org. There's also a Leader named Timbra who is in the Murray area who is nice and very well-informed--there's a link to her blog at the Utah page of www.llli.org.
You should know that while the Medela Pump in Style is very popular and I would agree it's very nice and simple to use, it's not the only high-quality double electric pump out there. . . Medela has spent tons of money marketing it, which doesn't make it superior to others, necessarily, just more familiar and better-known. Replacement parts for Medela and Ameda brands are both fairly easy to find locally in Utah. Primary Children's Medical Center uses Ameda pumps, but again, that's as much about marketing as about preference.
You should know it's easy to find a used pump on craigslist.com or ksl.com, and then purchase your own hygiene equipment brand-new for about $30. Yes, that voids the warranty, since pumps are considered single-user items by the manufacturers, but it will save you a bundle if you need a double electric pump and you're on a budget, and does not compromise safety or cleanliness, since milk never touches the motor, which is what costs a lot. Some hospitals will even give you the hygiene kit of tubing to use their hospital-grade pump, and then it's yours to keep and use with any compatible pump.
You may also want to consider waiting until after Baby comes to determine which, if any, pump you need. Many moms fall into a trap of thinking a pump is necessary, and then set themselves up for chronic engorgement and latch issues by pumping a lot right at first. . . . All Baby's sucking should be at the breast, and nursing early and often will help you establish your supply and avoid and minimize a lot of challenges. It is much, MUCH easier and more fun to be a breastfeeding mom instead of a breast-milk-feeding mom. I suggest you don't ever judge your milk supply based on how much you can pump out (the baby's always better than any pump at removing milk) and avoid pumping and offering a bottle of your milk to your baby if you are right there with the real gear.
A great book on breastfeeding is "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro. It's funny and accurate and you could borrow it for free from LLL or find it at any big bookstore.
Congratulations and best wishes to you and your family!

S.:

I am going to add to the advice you've already received from a number of women about the Medela Pump In Style double, electric pump. I used mine for two children over the course of about three years. I worked full-time and pumped several times a day during the week. It did a great job!!! I agree you can look into renting an electric pump from the hospital, but depending on how long you're going to nurse/pump, it might be more costly than buying your own.

I am now a stay-at-home mom with my third child and only needed something that I could use every once in while when I was away from my son. I researched all of the manual pumps, read a lot of reviews and went with the Avent Isis Pump. It is very affordable and does a great job. It only takes me about 15-20 minutes to pump both breasts and I get just as much milk as when I used the electric pump. It's a little cumbersome because you have to use both hands to hold it onto the breast to create the suction needed and then to use the hand pump, but it's easier than just using your hands to express milk.

I ordered the Avent Isis On the Go Set because it came with ice packs, an insulated carrying case, the pump and 4 Avent bottles (2 - 4 oz bottles and 2 - 9 oz bottles). The set was only $65.00! I have not been happy with the bottles though. They leak badly and make noises when the baby is sucking on them. I just bought Playtex VentAire Advanced bottles and love them. I used them with my other two babies and should've stuck with them in the first place. They work wonderfully, help prevent gas and are BPA free (the new ones)! So, you can just buy the manual pump alone (which is what I recommend, unless you've had a better experience with the bottles) and it'll be around $45, I think. You can compare prices online if you just google Avent Isis Pump. I couldn't believe the price discrepancies between different stores!!!

Good luck with your decision and best wishes to you!!!

I have a medela pump in style and really like it. I worked full time until my son was almost one and it's still going strong. I also got the medela harmony (i think thats what it's called) hand pump when i went on vacation. It was really nice and is easy to use if you're just pumping once in a while.

I used the Medela Pump in Style. It works really well and always, for years has consistent good reviews from other moms as well. I have one, still in the box, that has never been used if you want to buy it. I've been trying to find a good home for it. :) They usually cost almost $200 but I won't be using it so I can give it to you for $100. Let me know. ____@____.com. I live in Farmington, UT.

I was a breastfeeding mom for about 4 years (between two children) and bought the very best breastpump I could find. I figured I should use the best to preserve my breasts the best I could! I have the traveling Medela breastpump for sale. If you're interested, email me at ____@____.com.

Thanks,

I use the Lansinoh Double Electric Breast Pump and I LOVE it. It works well and is small enough to throw in a suitcase while I'm traveling. Here is a link to look at: http://refs05.securesites.net/snap038/index.php?src=direc....

I used a Medela pump and loved it!!! Also a good word of advice, you may be able to rent one at the hospital you deliver at. Many hospitals are pushing for mothers to breastfeed so you can ask there. The great thing about the hospital pumps is that they are designed for all mothers. They tend to be the best quality because they are also intended for mothers with premature babies.

If you live in Salt Lake County, go to Maternal Instincts. They are located at 676 Union Sq Sandy, UT 84070 (9400 South); their phone number is ###-###-####.

You can try her pumps before you buy them (you can't keep the milk because she has "tester" models). Heidi, the owner, is an RN and world-renowned lactation educator.
http://themomshop.com/index.html

1 / 3