Breast Milk to Soy Milk

My Daughter is going to be 14 months old soon. I have been giving her breast milk this entire time but am ready to stop pumping now. She has not nursed since she was 11 months old and I have been pumping the entire time since. I have decided to switch her to something else. The doctor said to switch her to Soy Milk instead of Cow's Milk because my daughter has a sensitive stomach. I tried soy last night and she didn't like it at all. Are there any alternatives that you can think of? I already have to put Acidophilus Probiotics into her milk so it will help her stomach (health food store remedy for yeast infection rashes) Please help.

Thank you everyone for your support with this post. We tried giving her the Vanilla Soy Milk and she also did not like that. I tried diluting it with Breast Milk and still didn't like it and refused to touch her cup for several hours (stubborn little gal LOL). Finally I talked with her pediatrician again and asked her what I could do. We went over the foods that Kayla has eaten (cheese, yogurt, ice cream, some cold cereal out of my bowl, etc) and it seems that she is not lactose intolerant. We were concerned with her tummy and her having diarrhea for a long time. She said that I could try Rice Milk if I wanted but that it didn’t have the nutrients that Kayla needs (she is slim for her age but tall). We decided to go ahead and try cow’s milk to see if she would drink it. I only have non-fat in my house but she seemed to like it. So I will be going out and buying Whole Milk soon for her.

I am looking forward to returning my breast pump ASAP and no longer pumping. I have been exclusively pumping for more than three months and I am tired and worn out. I am ready for the next step.

I, also, have started to incorporate Bum Genius cloth diapers into our routine and have been pleased. It’s not bad washing one small load at the end of the day. Since I work full time and have 5 children at home I expected not to like it or that it would be a big hassle but it’s not that big of a deal. At least I know what kind of chemicals are being used to clean the diapers and can pin point the cause for her rashes.

Thank you again for all your advice!

Good Luck to all of you!

PS I have been giving her the Very Vanilla Soy milk and she seems to really like it. I might try the nut milks to see if she would be less likely to get colds. She drinks all soy milk now but when she gets over this cold she will drink regular whole milk at the sitter's and then Very Vanilla Soy milk at home. Thank you again to everyone who replied.

You can try organic rice milk, like rice dream. it only has 2.5g of fat, so you might have to add more omega fats into her diet. Also there is flavored soy milk. The favorites of my babies are chocolate and very vanilla. Rice milk also comes flavored. Good Luck!

I tried the soy when I started my son on formula at 6 months. He's now 3. He did not like it either. He had a bit of a sensitive stomach as well. I used the Nestle Good Start & he did great with it. It seems to be pretty gentle on their little tummies.

Hey V., my son is 13 months old and has a very senstive system as well. We tried soy and he didnt like it either so we tried Lactaid it is milk without the lactose and we really like it. We would warm it in the microwave to take the chill off. Hope this helps

Hi V.,
My son is almost 8 months and I am still nursing, but also pump on the 2 1/2days/week that I work. On days that I don't pump enough and need to supplement, we have been using organic goat's milk. My son likes it and supposedly it is very close to mother's milk as far as make up...
-W.

Congratulations on giving you daughter the best possible milk she could ever have for 14 months! Good job! To pump for her for the past 3 months was such a gift - and a labor of love!

Soy milk really isn't good for kids - too many phyto-estrogens that can impact the hormonal system in a not positive way. I advise my clients to stay away from it for the children in both formula and regular milk forms.

Try Rice Milk that is vanilla flavored. My middle son is allergic to dairy and I won't give him soy - he LOVES the Rice Dream Vanilla. Tasty and no issues with allergies for the vast majority of humans. :)

Warmly,

Try organic cow's milk... I know she is sensitive but soy is bad news...

i've heard rice milk or goats milk are good alternatives. Good luck

Try goat's milk. It tastes similar to cow's milk and some kids have an easier time digesting it.

okay, i read through all your responses and the one thing i did not see was hemp milk. the hemp seed has the most complete form of protein on the planet but gets a bad rap because of the plant it comes from. i get vanilla hemp milk for my son and he loves it, and it's very nutritious. i get it at whole foods. good luck.

you might try rice milk. that's what we went to with 2 breastfed babies without any problems. neither of them have known sensitivities, we just chose not to give them cow's or soy milk. hope that helps.

1 / 3