Breast Milk in the Ear: Myth or Cure?

My 10 month old daughter has a persistent ear infection. She's had it for four weeks and is just now starting a third different oral antibiotic. She's also had two shots of a different antibiotic in the leg. And the infection still grows. And she has a runny nose and terrible cough (thankfully the chest xray today was clear!) Anyway, a stranger suggested that I squirt my breastmilk in her ears. I am getting worried and desperate enough to try this, but to me it seems very strange to put liquid in an infected ear. The stranger also suggested I put it up her nose. What do people think about using breastmilk as a remedy in body orifices?

I squirted into my infant son's eyes when he got infections and it worked great, given all the white blood cells. Don't know how it would work on an ear infection, but it's a great panacea for other superficial infections, wounds... Good luck.

My great grandmother would put a little pee in her kids ears for an ear infection. You never know what people will try. The belief is that it is actually the warmth of the liquid that eases the pain, but it is not good to put liquid in an infected ear.

I don't really know if you should or not but i now an expert that would. I'm on a site called bellyhood.com and there is a nurse that answers all sorts of quesstions. she's also a lactation consultant. so give that a shot.

I would suggest seeing an ENT DR. She sounds like she needs tubes put in her ears. You definately do not want to let a ear infection to go to long and you don't want to use antibiotics for a long period. Normally when a child has a lot of ear infections over a certain period the dr. will refer you to an ENT DR. You can always request to see one. My daughter had to have tubes put in her ears for the same reason and she is doing much better. No ear infections and they will eventually fall out. She will not have to have them forever.

In Africa, they say the contrary "be careful not to have breast milk get in your baby's ears because it develops frequent infections"

I have never heard of that but I do personally put peroxide in my ear if I have an ear ache. However if it is in your childs inner ear (which it probably is) then the proxide nor the breast milk can get to the infection.

Best Wishes!

That's very interesting, I've never heard of that, however, I do know that olive oil (off brand sweet oil) worked everytime with my oldest.

I have never heard of breastmilk for ear infections. I used it on my son when he had pink eye- it worked wonders! I would be a little nervous about the ear though- you might be able to find out some more on this by searching the internet. Good luck!

If I were you I would consult with an Otolaryngologist/ENT. My son had the same problem starting at 5 months. By the time he was 9 months and the doctors had tried every antibiotic including the antibiotic shots the ENT decided it was time for ear tubes. Although I was a little scared, the procedure (which took about 20 minutes) turned out to be the best decision we could have made. After the surgery which was in and out, there were no more ear infections, fevers, runny noses, medication, etc. When he was almost two years old the tubes fell out and the ear infection came back so the ENT inserted another set of tubes and removed his adnoids which seemed to be the main problem. The anoids was holding infections which were infecting his ears. I am happy to say that 4 years later we have not had one ear infection, no antibiotics, etc. Do a little research and talk to your doctor. Good Luck!

1 / 3